The Almighty Sergio Ramos Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by -Fifth CharM-, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    And on the other end, there are the rumors about Otamendi, Bonucci, and now (lol) Koscielny.

RMSocrates, Ahmadi8 and Bear Crotch repped this.
  2. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    People/players do that all the time and that is why they change clubs/jobs.

3. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, none of those fill me with any confidence. Hummels is the only one I like and I don't think his price would be insane.

I'm actually worried now that Ramos may leave. Didn't think it possible, but man the rumblings are getting stronger with each passing hour. I'm not sure how Id handle seeing Sergio in a different kit. I think he would beast the EPL though. They allow much more contact there.

RMSocrates, saadomar, Ahmadi8 and 3 others repped this.
  4. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    He would be great.

Or Laporte and let him be mentored by Pepe for a year.

My biggest concern is the dressing room. You may be able to replace Ramos as a defender, but losing that leader int he dressing room combined with Iker and Xabi last year, that's a massive hit. Marcelo/Pepe/Ronaldo being captains & vice captains doesn't fill me with confidence.

RMSocrates, saadomar, Ahmadi8 and 2 others repped this.
  5. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely.

6. Ananas

Ananas Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Been reading Marca Spanish section and things are really ugly. It's one thing to negotiate for a higher wage, like Ronaldo did a few years back, but it's a totally different story when they go at each others like they are doing now. Anyone has any info on what other players are saying? I checked their Twitter accounts but no one has posted anything yet.

7. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    MU just loves to throw money around and they have a thing for wanting to go for our players. If another club had another firm offer for 12M maybe it will be a different story. At the end of the day the one that has to evaluate his leverage is Flo and his mgmt. team. As a manager and president you don't give in to the demands of your employees, specially in this case where the gap is huge, otherwise you will set a bad precedent.
    Offers from other teams are not leverage because those will always be there and teams/companies are not obligated to match them, and break the protocol of established guidelines for handling these matters, which I am sure are in place.

8. MadridOzil

MadridOzil Member+

Jun 6, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  9. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Yeah, the closest analogy here is basically: I'm paid $6. I'm one of the five best in the world at what I do. The others in that category are paid $10 or above. A competitor is offering $11. I'm getting closer to retirement and this is my last major contract. I'm a leader at my company and a very important piece of the operation. My company didn't have a great year, and I wasn't as good as I usually am, but when I was away, my company was completely out of sorts. If I leave, it will be difficult to replace me. I walk into my boss's office and I demand a raise to $10. My boss says $8 (7.5?) or GTFO.

---

Ramos's camp's tactics aren't pretty, but I think the club looks even worse in this mess.

10. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah I mean it's not like we have 3 of the 4 most expensive transfers in history currently on our roster or anything like that.

Zidane05 repped this.
  11. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Yeah but Ramos is not a Galactico signing.

12. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    This isn't an accurate example though, because the "Others" you mentioned are not paid $10 or above. "Others" have to be specific to his job title and requirements and when looking at his position there are not any besides possibly one which is paid this kind of money.

I don't know if this is what occurred, but as I said before he is giving the club an ultimatum (give me 10!) he shouldn't be angry/mad the club is giving him one (take 7.5!).

I believe Ramos deserves a raise. I do not believe he deserves 10 million euros after tax a year. That is something that will destroy our wage structure. In two season Varane will renew and ask for more being younger and future captain. Marcelo will ask for 7.5 after all he will be second captain, etc etc..

Key Points:

• Ramos has to be smart here; he should ask for insanity yet expect reality (ask high so you can get a better realistic offer then if you would have asked lower). If he wants the insane, we won't give it to him and he will have to go (very sadly). A pig will eat forever, a hog gets slaughtered.

• With that said that said the club must be realistic as well. It's Perez's job to negotiate low, the players are after all depreciating assets. However, don't become a mule, too stubborn and short sighted. He must realize Ramos value both on the field and in the locker room. Conceding a little to save the day, ensures you lose a battle but not the war.

13. snooop

snooop Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Can you ever think straight for one second in your life? Even if what Jordi claims is not true, he had full intention to destabilize Real Madrid. Ramos camp won't put out the fire until the club makes a similar statement that neither the club or the player has any knowledge regarding Jordi's claim. Sergio is an employee and he is being linked to a direct competitor, the company can clear that up easily if they want to do so.

Well .... unless something else is going on behind the scene, something fishy.

14. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    CAN I THINK STRAIGHT? That is pretty darn rich considering its coming from you, lol.

How is the club supposed to confirm or deny something they are not 100% certain of? And why should they if they have not been implicated in anything? Did Jordi say that Real Madrid offered Sergio to him? No. So what do you want them to say, especially IF Sergio has not told them what they need to know in order to make a statement? Just simple logic...

15. snooop

snooop Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They can clarify it and they should, it won't cost a penny to do so but for some reason they don't want to. It's very common business practice for one company to clear that up when one of its high profile employee is being linked to a direct competitor. If this happens to Varane, I'm sure Zidane would twist Flo's arm and force him to do that already.

16. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #991 Phoenix Rising, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Or maybe you could wait until the club and Ramos have cleared this up between them and let us know what is actually going to be done and why... instead of accusing the club rashly and without being privy to what is actually going on? Also keep in mind that the club is in contract negotiations with Ramos so they can't/won't say that Ramos will never be sold because that will give his agent the leverage he needs to demand that 10me salary. So no, it does not just cost a penny to say something, it could cost them a couple of million.

sleepyvato50 and MadridOzil repped this.
  17. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know Rafa might not have any say in this, but wonder if he can call Ramos and calm the situation a bit. He's Spanish and all.

18. snooop

snooop Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I sure can, don't know about Ramos' camp. They're holding more leverage than you think.

19. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    The only leverage they have is they can cause trouble through the media. They have been doing their best and can't give us any worse.

The club on other hand have him on two years of contract with two very able replacements already on the team. The club doesn't need to rush anything, the more this plays out in the media the worse Ramos will look anyways so the club can be calm let him burn every bridge to Madrid then attempt to spin things as if they are doing the fans a favor by getting rid of a cancer (see Robinho, Di Maria, etc, etc).

In the end both loses if Ramos leaves. Ramos loses a lot of his "legend" in Madrid; although in my mind he will forever be a legend of Madrid. While Madrid loses their true leader, captain and heart, possibly needing to spend an exorbitant amount on a replacement with no guarantee the replacement will ever be half the player Ramos was.

Phoenix Rising repped this.
  20. kurskolajno

kurskolajno Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ramos has been one of my favourite players ever since he signed but I do think he is overplaying his cards a bit. He still has two years on his contract and realistically no one will want to pay the fee Real is looking for. I very much doubt Perez will cave in especially since its going to set a very bad precedent for the future. I do think he deserves a raise especially since he's been so much underpaid so far. In an ideal world I think he deserves what he's asking for, call it back-payments for the previous years.

If he goes all in and no other club bites and gets him, its going to end up pretty bad for him.

21. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We might be miscommunicating here, but IIRC Kompany, Silva, and John Terry all make > 10ME. Read somewhere that Mariquinhos is making more than those three. None of those guys is as good as Ramos, and they're all older than he is to boot (obv not Marquinhos). It's pretty clear that his market value is a hell of a lot closer to 10 than the club apparently cares to admit.

I don't know man, you're talking about a "wage structure" as if we even have one.

He does have two years left, but I highly doubt the club is going to want to risk either (a) waiting until next year to renew him when he'll have arguably even more leverage; or (b) selling him next year at a fraction of what we'd likely get this year.

22. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #997 MerlinRM, Jun 24, 2015
    We do have a wage structure. It many not be ideal but it's how Flo operates. If Ramos wants to make as much as Silva, Terry, and Kompany, he needs to head on over to a club with a sugar daddy billionaire owner because Madrid is not it.

PSG and Man City are desperate to attract players so they offer those ridiculous contracts and shouldn't be seen as a guide to how to pay players. Man Utd are rebuilding as well and with the TV money coming in, they can splash whatever they want as well.

robnycus repped this.
  23. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #998 robnycus, Jun 24, 2015
    And Fernandihno makes 11ME, way more than Kroos and Modric.
    Modric should be next in line to demand 11ME because Fernandihno makes this much .

Thiago Silva recently joined PsG from Milan so that contract is fresh.

I read somewhere last year that Terry took a significant paycut last year.

24. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #999 Phoenix Rising, Jun 24, 2015
    I find these wages extremely hard to believe, especially if you're talking about NET wages after taxes.

Anyway, while I agree that Ramos should be among the highest paid defenders in the world (we want the best players, so they should/will be among the highest paid)...I also agree with what MerlinRM says about PSG/City/United needing to pay a premium to attract top level footballers, in comparison to Madrid. Based on what he was earning before, I'm of the opinion that 7.5-8me or even 8.5me NET is a top level salary for a top level defender. The club also offers sizable bonuses for trophies won... so maybe our players should be reminded to start collecting on the bonuses...

Umar repped this.
  25. snooop

snooop Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Both sides are playing the victim card now. However, if what the presses are reporting is true, I think Flo should listen to any offers that comes his way. I doubt anyone would offer anything exceed 25-30 million euro for Ramos given the circumstance but if they can match his wage demand, the club should let him go.

The rest of your post is meaningless at this point, obviously his goal is money, everything else is irrelevant. I don't blame him for it.