The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Cincinnati Bengals had the first pick in the draft a couple years ago, which they used to draft QB Joe Burrow. Now, they're leading the #1 seed Titans in Nashville in the Divisional Round. I don't recall any such stories in European soccer this century.

2. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    god please because you know nfl how many more DRAFTS did they need to assemble a team to be able to win so in other words how many other times did they have to be in bottom 3 to assemble a team to win

3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In truth that's also of a reflection of the fact that there's no other team sport so reliant on a single position.

4. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    to me when americans talk about their sport and draft they behave like it was a hard work that was the reason they got to play off or championship game when in reality it was loose as many games possible to win. those browns were bottom teams for years and last year or what ever started to be good and they start talking hard work got them where they are are PLEASE with little effort that 80% of teams in american sports show it this was pro/rel sport 80% of league would be in lower division. to me that is most b.s. thing about american sports when they talk they showed effort and efort and hard work is reason where they are

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me when you talk about American sport it shows the reality is you don't know what you're talking about

6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wimbledon do have their team. 3rd tier this season I think.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It only took 30 years to get back to Wimbledon.

I saw them play Liverpool at Plough Lane in front of 14,000.

I also saw them play Notts County in the top-flight at Selhurst Park in front of 4,196.

The following season they got 3,039 against Everton which I think is a Premier League all-time low.

AlbertCamus and Chesco United repped this.
  8. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope and most New Yorkers think it's a systematic problem probably starting at the top with Woody Johnson who was an embarrassment to my country as our representative to yours during the previous administration.

But the point is it could be intentional, it could be an ownership group happy to suck at the teet of the NFL with little intention of paying the money needed to compete. The fact that a salary floor has been added shows that this is a legit concern. Or it could just be strait up incompetence. The ownership could believe that they are trying to win but they just aren't very good at it. Humility is in short supply among the type of people who own NFL teams. And I am saying you don't know which is which and probably shouldn't be going into specifics about the NFL unless you have a lot of prior knowledge.

HailtotheKing and Chesco United repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a New York thang!

Mets, Jets, Knicks, Rangers etc etc...

10. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They believe they do which is really all that matters. Again the heart of the club isn't the paperwork it's the fans.

If you ask the NFL they would say I still have a team. But if you ask 90% of San Diego Charger fans and they'll answer that we don't.

And pro/rel does give fans a chance to keep that going even if they club they love was destroyed by people outside of their control.

11. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our system allows for it too
    Sometimes something COMPLETELY new and sometimes a Phoenix/2.0/whatever you want to call it version

But it isn't p/r that does it though. It's the treatment/belief of what clubs are and how they deal with bankruptcy in regard to them. It's the business they employ upon a club failing that does it.

Chesco United repped this.
  12. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome cool so I can have a Chargers 2.0? How?

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes you can start a FT San Diego. I'm sure there's an amateur league in the area.

There are also a couple of college teams.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any number of routes ... The Texans route, the Browns route, the Rams/Raiders route, or maybe even the Carolina/Jax route

15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Not as fun to watch as a promotion race in the championship though. Actually, nothing to watch at all, except perhaps your tax dollars being spent on a stadium to provide a venue for the private business of a billionaire.

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Promotion & Relegation has arrived in Canada!

CSB (Canadian Soccer Business) & League 1 Ontario are pleased to announced the arrival of pro/rel in Canada for both Men and Women!
    upload_2022-1-25_16-52-26.png
    • Starting in 2024
    • 3 leagues - L1O Premier, L1O Championship and League 2
    • Expansions will be paused until 2024 - new clubs MUST start at League 2 level and work their way up
    • League 2 champions advance to the Championship Division
    • Championship winners advance to Premier Division for 2025
    • Bottom teams in both the Premier Division and the Championship will be relegated
    • Premier Division champions will qualify to the Voyageurs Cup (Domestic Cup)
    • L1 League cup will be disputed by clubs from all tiers excluding reserve teams
    Quote from L10 commissioner Dino Rossi
    • “Not every club in our league has the exact same ambition. We have some that want to win the league – with hopes of competing in the Canadian Championship on the men’s side as the big reward – and that's amazing,” Rossi added. “We have other clubs that view our competition as integral to their player-development and player-advancement objectives.
    • “With a system like this, clubs will find their level and have the opportunity to compete in a high quality, standards-based environment, at a tier that is best aligned with their ambitions.”
    Quote from CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani
    • "As President of Canada Soccer, I was an early proponent of the importance of League1 Ontario and the need for more leagues like it to be established,” Victor Montagliani, CONCACAF President / FIFA Vice-President, said in a statement. “Now this league faces an important moment in its history. I speak from personal experience when I tell you that it is imperative at moments like these to be bold and ambitious. The status quo does not move the sport forward. The 2024 Plan is important and it will serve as a guiding light for other leagues to follow."*
    *League 1 Ontario is owned by the Canadian Premier League. This is a huge message about the seriousness of Pro/Rel across the pyramid as the main objective.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the US isn't the only country where billionaires benefit from tax dollars spent on stadiums.

The Etihad cost $150 million to build. City pay $2.7 million rent a year.

Stade de France cost $411 million to build. PSG pay $2 million a year and are rumored to have made an offer of $113 million to buy the stadium.

West Ham pay $3 million in rent for a $billion stadium.

The San Siro on the other hand is a nice deal for the city. It was last upgraded in the 1980s and costs Milan and Inter $20 million a year each.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  18. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously ...

Do you know what real amateur football looks like in America. It's basically Sunday league in England. There are no levels of American football once you leave College. Rugby is more popular as an amateur participation sport.

And there is literally no way that team can be in the NFL or play any kind of entertaining spectator level of football.

You're saying hey you lost your prem team but now just go watch Sunday league it's the same thing right?

As for college yeah we have a college team called San Diego State. First they can never move up to the NFL. Second there is no system for them to even move up to a better conference. They have been the best team in the Mountain West for the last 10 years, but there's no promotion. So the only way to move to a bigger conference which means more revenue, better recruits, sexier opponents, and a chance to compete for a National Championship is through "Conference Expansion" which is a mess. SDSU is actually caught in a catch-22 when it comes to expansion. The only conference that makes geogrpahic sense for them is the Pac-12. But the Pac-12 doesn't want to expand, is snobby about letting in a Cal State school. So yeah even within college football there is not a realistic chance to "promote" to major (Power 5) college football.

So again not the same at all.

For the record I do plan on getting season tickets next season but just like my USL team it's fun but not what Wimbledon or any number of other supporter who can dream of promotion get.

Ohhh man either your having a laugh or just gave the most bad faith answer in the history of this thread, which is saying a lot. There is LITERALLY nothing similar about expansion in the NFL vs what AFC Wimbledon did.

Unless I have 10's of BILLIONS of dollars laying around and count multiple NFL owners as close personal friends I can't start an NFL franchise. Even if I was able to rally Charger Fans, and try and pool our money, the NFL outlaws fan ownership.

How in the living F*** is what Wimbledon did in ANY way comparable to the NFL expansion process? They are absolute and complete polar opposites.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that sort of defeatism is why the US surrendered when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

HailtotheKing, jaykoz3 and Chesco United repped this.
  20. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toga Toga Toga!!

HailtotheKing and Chesco United repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where forever Eredividisie team RBC Roosendal restarted after their bankruptcy.

A bunch of RBC fans starting following Notts after we signed Marcel Cas. I played soccer with them.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PSG play at Parc des Princes.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  23. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    #33473 M, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    As you're well aware, Etihad was built for the Commonwealth Games, C of London for the Olympics. So sunk costs that were exceptions rather than the rule in England. So although these were egregious examples, more "whataboutism" when you compare to the frequency with taxpayers stump up for US major league stadia.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I meant. Stade de France replaced it as the national stadium.

25. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, many places hold votes on these matters ... Also, folks want entertainment options and the like.

So I mean the bitching about tax dollars for a billionaire only goes so far (not saying that YOU are bitching). It's there for hotels and all sorts of other crap but it's an issue for a stadium that potentially brings more to the local pop than Holiday Inn #642

Well the comment wasn't a direct comparison to Wimbledon sooooooooo.....

It was about you saying p/r gives the opportunity to have their team back ... I just stated that our system does too. I gave examples of that, or are you saying the Browns today aren't the Browns? All the Texans fans are new and no Oiler fans helped build that support? What about the Quakes?

I mean we keep getting told in this thread what TRULY makes a club/team and all that ...

Yes it's common practice here, but as you're well aware it isn't as rare outside the US as you and others try to make it out.

Brazil for instance, the taxpayers were/still are fleeced for the WC stadiums.
    Happens in Germany (VfB Lubeck is a good story of p/r and public monies)
    Portugal folks fleeced for Euro 2004 stadia

So although it is regular practice here, more "tryingtowaveyourhandandmakeatruthoutofsomethingthatreallyisnttrue" when you actually do your homework and see those pesky facts ...