The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to actual football chat...

This is actually a point that I have been trying to make for a while. When people say "Sports are a business" I don't disagree. Of course it is. But the imediatte bottom line can't be the only thing they focus on, or else they risk blowing up the whole business model.

Here's the trick, most sports watching is actually kind of crap, with a chance of actually ending the experience disappointed or even angry. If movies were as bad as sports we'd never go. Yet we still do because of that connection that sense of community. Sports clubs toy with that at their peril.

Basically they want to be allowed to act like any capitalist business while asking us to treat them like a civic institution. If that's the ledge you are going to try and walk it's pretty stupid and ARROGANT to then shine a bright light on that.

2. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two normal bottles of beer poured into a cup. They're actually called doble (double) for that reason.

Also a question, how many pounds are in one "stone"? :D

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Almost 34 fluid ounces in a liter. So 24 ounces is 0.7 liters. Which works out to a little bigger than a British pint. Americans should remember that British pints are bigger than American ones.

Cups as a measurement are mostly used in cooking. They are standardized as 8 fluid ounces or 236 ml.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A British pint is 20 fluid ounces, so 24 ounces is 1.2 pints.

An American pint is 16 ounces but some bars sell 20 ounce pints.

As American craft beers tend to be stronger than your local UK bitter (5-8% vs. 3-5%), I'll take the 16 ounces.

5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy have some of the steepest beer prices I've seen anywhere.

Sac Republic is good if you get there early. Until 30 minutes before kickoff it's $6 for a 16oz craft beer. Then it jumps to $7 for 12oz or $12 for 20oz. For some reason they stop selling 16oz beers and start selling the other sizes at that time.

owian repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CCL is certainly making a case for a Super League for me with intense high quality games.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #30207 RichardL, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    I've tried a few US IPAs, and they seem to be on a ridiculous quest to make them as hoppy as possible. I had one in Santa Monica that was almost like drinking a hops smoothie, and was completely undrinkable.

The USA is the only place where I've been asked if I wanted a small or a large pint.

Some places do have ridiculously cheap happy hours though. I stopped off in one place in San Francisco, and it was $2 for a pint of Guinness.

I bought a beer at the Staples Center, and it was actually decent value going purely by the size of the beer. Unfortunately I didn't check the brand, and it was only when it was handed over that I realised I'd ordered a Bud Light.

It tasted like a beer made by scientists on a challenge to make a beer using purely artificial ingredients.

8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not law .... it's just more of a "we have Shiner and Ziegenbock wtf are you drinking bud light/et al for? wtf is wrong with you?" kind of vibe.

I get folks have differing taste preferences and pallets .... but the amount plenty of folks pay for truly, shit beer when the likes of Shiner/Ziegenbock are available is just astounding to me.

24oz = 710ml

and uh, 90% of IPAs are the drizzling shits

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    The confusion for those not familiar with it is saying "ounces" rather than "fluid ounces". One is a measure of weight, the other a measure of volume.

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    30000+ posts in...any nearer a consensus on pro/rel yet?

HailtotheKing, Chesco United and kinznk repped this.
  11. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I think you need to add the 11,000+ posts from the previous and since locked thread for the true number.

12. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Yeah, we solved pro/rel in the U.S. about 4 years ago and have just been shitposting ever since.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We commissioned a Deloitte report which concluded that the US isn't ready for pro-rel.

HailtotheKing, Elninho, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  14. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    30,000 is nothing without the power of making 300,000+ tweets over the course of 10 years span.

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  15. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First honest post I've read here in a while. [emoji16]

16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Storming the stadium and throwing beer bottles is the essence of sporting merit.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Spanish league is introducing a new 40 team pro third tier starting next season, the Primera División RFEF.

Most of the teams promoted to the second division this season will immediately be relegated back to the third tier along with 4 teams from the Segunda. Teams finishing near the bottom of Segunda B will be relegated to the fourth tier Segunda División RFEF.

Primera División RFEF cubs will be licensed and will have to meet minimum financial and infrastructural criteria, including capacity and floodlight power.

19. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Is the essence of BLM looting? Well, ok, the Trumpistas believe that but I know you're not one of them.

20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Open Leagues Matter

Yikes.

HailtotheKing and M repped this.
  21. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Seriously, though, English storming if nothing else is more chill than over here. One dude lost his shoe and the steward made sure to get it back to him. :p

22. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread hasn't been the same since the NASL sued to end the possibility of pro/rel and then promptly imploded.

HailtotheKing and Chesco United repped this.
  24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they are mad about money?? I mean, I get it. It's been awhile since ManU has won the EPL or champions league. Where was the outrage during the glory years?

The debt hasn't prevented ManU from spending absurd amounts of money on transfers. The money hasn't been spent wisely since Sir Alex retired, however, that's a different matter.

I get it. The supporters and their families have been following and supporting ManU for a 100+ years, over multiple generations. It's the community's club.

It sucks. The Green and Gold protest at matches. If they don't continue to buy their season seats, someone else will. The supporters who went and founded FC United of Manchester, mad respect. They put their money where their mouth is and took a stand.

So, IF the Glazers decide to sell...it most likely is not going to be to the Man United Supporters Trust. So, it will be to someone else. Who most likely will take a loan out to purchase the club. The Uber rich didn't get and stay rich by paying out large sums of their own cash reserves (unless it's middle eastern oil money).

So at the end of the day, IF the Glazers sell, sure ManU and their supporters won't have the Dirty American owners in charge anymore. They'll just have a different owner that they will end up being pissed off at in short order. Sure a potential new owner will say all of the right things in public, but behind the boardroom doors, they'll be running the club like the multi-billion dollar business it is.

Elninho and HailtotheKing repped this.