The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top 20 teams by valuation (Statista).

Real Madrid 4,239
    FC Barcelona 4,021
    Manchester United 3,808
    Bayern Munich 3,024
    Manchester City 2,688
    Chelsea FC 2,576
    Arsenal FC 2,268
    Liverpool FC 2,183
    Tottenham Hotspur 1,624
    Juventus 1,512
    Paris Saint-Germain 1,092
    Atletico de Madrid 953
    Borussia Dortmund 896
    Schalke 04 683
    FC Internazionale Milano 672
    AS Roma 622
    West Ham United 616
    AC Milan 583
    ‐‐‐-------
    Atlanta United 500 (Forbes)

2. These arenot market values.
    upload_2020-10-20_21-58-42.png
    The market values ManUnited at 2.22 billion.
    Barcelona, just a few months of corona troubles had to try to cut the wages of their players with 70%. They lost hundreds of millions just with a few months inactivity and were in such problems they needed to cut the stars salary.
    Imagine what 2 seasons out of the running would mean if that SL were to engage in those negotiations with all the authorities in question. Those values are suck my thumb values.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they get a place in the ESL.

If this league ever goes ahead, and I don't it will happen, the case for a North American Super League will be overwhelming, though probably not with those initials.

HailtotheKing, mschofield and JasonMa repped this.
  4. In concurrance with the Memorandum is this part of the break away article:
    upload_2020-10-20_22-58-5.png

5. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    HailtotheKing and jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    And, more importantly, what would be their projected growth, vs. a grocery chain.

HailtotheKing and jaykoz3 repped this.
  7. That doesnot matter. These clubs arenot in one country, but spread out, so they have no clout at all, and to repeat it these clubs together also mean nothing in financial terms in EU setting. Companies that already in profit dwarf these clubs into obscurity, let alone in revenues meet the iron fist of the EU.
    So what leverage do they bring to the table? Not financial clout, not political clout.
    Nothing.
    They are the ones dependant on the privilige to play in the domestic and European competitions. They arenot the ones that run that show.
    If it was so it wouldnot turn out in regular pop ups of this kind of news. Then we would be surprised by the announcement the clubs did instantly break away (wonder if that contractually is possible) and the SL starts.

Just look at the sum they intend to start with. It's not enough to keep the clubs alive for a year in the time needed to get negotiations done, if successful at all.
    So if the investors lose their investment and the negotiations show more chance to failure than success, are they going to make another round to investors to cough up another 6 billon?
    It wouldnot be so strange the remaining clubs and the FA's and the UEFA, which have good relations with their gouvernments put up a lobby and a fight that makes it virtually impossible to start and make money.

Unless and only if the investors come up with a war treasury chest of at least 20 billion, the clubs know they're doomed if they break away.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bmunch did not back down. FFS, they're involved in this proposal. They're still on board with the idea. The DFB will fall in line when the time comes. If BMunch wants it, they will make it happen. They always have.
    Your argument here is that what is happening cannot happen. It relies on the most powerful football clubs around all being complete idiots, chasing after something impossible.
    Also, please look again at those revenue figures. If that fourth year represented a year without a CL, then you'd have a better case. The Euros are a cherry on top in their revenue.Even in that fourth year, most of their money, as they admit, comes from CL.
    We have had this discussion many times in these threads. Your case revolves around what you would like to happen. Mine is based on trying to predict what will happen, both are based on what is happening right now. it would be nice if you were correct, and European football carried on as it has been. I don't think that's a likely outcome from what is happening, though.
    Also, yes, of course, BMunch is a financial midget when compared to Facebook or Google. But BMunch has a lot more fans, and they're a lot more passionate. When i moved here, in 2003, it was next to impossible to be a BMunch or BDort fan if you weren't from Munich or industrial hell. Today, it's common. I mean, my nephew plays for Hertha, but wants BDort gear for Christmas.

HailtotheKing and CoachP365 repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the combined wealth of English Premier League owners is over $100 billion according to Wikipedia.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that many companies across the globe are dealing with the same thing right? Companies have furloughed, laid off, & flat out eliminated positions in order to stay afloat amid the Covid-19 shutdowns. Many employees across the globe have taken temporary and permanent pay cuts as well. Seeing as Football Clubs are businesses it shouldn't come as a surprise that they also have to deal with the economic hardships that the Covid-19 shutdown has brought.

This discussion seems to center a lot on money....which is ironic seeing as we've been told that the lifeblood of the sport is the grassroots level, dreams of promotion, & dreams of European Glory. Sure sounds like the lifeblood of the sport runs green, as in $$$$$.

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you have CEOs earning 500 times more than their average employee you know the world has changed.

12. Well, you really donot get that that precisely is the lifeblood of the sport in Europe as these in the end supply the top clubs of talented players. The sl would mean the break down of that ecosystem that provides the top players.
    You in the States lack that ecosystem hence you donot produce top players.
    That green isnot the lifeblood but the poison that in the end will be the doom of soccer if that sl idea gets a foot on the ground.
    Money siphoned off by the sl clubs will mean in the Netherlands the intricate system to nurish and develop players will collaps and you can say goodby to the Netherlands as a national team top country.
    I donot think it will be different in the other European countries. In stead of the sl being a clustering of the best after a few years the quality will drop as the well that provided the qualities has been destroyed.

13. Yes, but most of those "normal" companies are dealing with an event that disrupts hugely their revenues, but not completely eliminates them.
    If a club like Barcelona, unless the financers are willing to cough up the money Barca would have made, goes without revenues for more than a season, they're dead.
    Not because of an outside event like corona, but because of a decision they themselves have to make.
    So, unless the financers put on the table 20+ billion without conditions to the ment to be clubs of that sl, it's not going to happen.

14. So, why don't they put the required money on the table, so the top clubs can say goodbye to their FA's. You know that that 6 billion isnot going to be enough.
    The moment the clubs announce their entrance to the sl, they're thrown out of all competitions and effectively without money.

15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, about that......Christian Pulisic, Weston McKennie, Tyler Adams, and Gio Reyna say hello!

I get that you don't pay a whole lot of attention to the game here in the States, but this view and reality is quickly changing.

Also, the Top Clubs get players from all over the world, and not just their backyards. They also develop their own players in their own academies as well.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. Well, my recollection goes that when confronted with the last burp of a sl Bayern denied to be involved, directly after the DFB told that clubs would be thrown out of the BuLi as that's in the regulations to be member of the DFB.

Well, it is indeed what I like to happen. However nobody has shown the solutions to the hurdles of the individual FA's, UEFA , the national gouvernments and the EU. The only thing I hear is how powerful these clubs are, but as I posted they're financial midgets, nothing a gouvernment or the EU would be laying awake of at night.

I donot compare them with that kind of companies. That whole bunch of clubs donot even make one week of their profit, let alone their revenues.
    These clubs are midgets compared to small European companies. Thus all the talk about their "power" is a bit overdone.
    They don't even present much of an employment source.

17. Of those I only consider Puli and Gio prospects to become stars, which they're not yet and these werenot produced in the States.

Actually I've seen quite alot mls matches since they started the disneyland title race. I can see them for free on my cable. I watched among others some Kansas matches as one of their players was rumoured to be a Feyenoord target.

I don't think you understand how the academies over here operate. These need the pyramid in order to be able to develop players. Matter of fact is that they shove their best talents to the Eredivisieclubs and our second tier to be developed into top players, if those players donot move themselves to us.
    However if that ecosystem, in which those academies operate, is destroyed you can say goodbye to your academies as these willnot be able to fill themselves with talents and find opponents to play against.

18. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio Reyna spent more time at NYCFC academy then with Dortmund. Dortmund got a player that is for my money ahead of pulisic at the same age with regards to development. That didn't happen because he just set foot on German soil. He was developed by NYCFC and Man City was apparently furious with Claudio for telling his son to go to Germany instead of staying and eventually playing for Man City. It's no surprise that right after Gio left his father started looking and found work someplace else.

HailtotheKing, JasonMa and jaykoz3 repped this.
  19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Puli got his start up until age 16 in Central Pennsylvania. Gio played for NYCFC's academy until moving to Dortmund in January.

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  20. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Joe Scally a young RB from NYCFC was sold to Borussa Moc. back in Feb. Jack Harrison was sold to Man City and now doing well for Leeds. Players will only keep coming now that academies for MLS teams are free and cull the best players to develop

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, Ethan Horvath gets no love?

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    #28024 M, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't normally reply to your posts as I have you on ignore.

The Super League has suspended additional pro/rel a couple of times because promoted teams were too weak.

They brought in a system of licensing, then devised the Super 8s, where the bottom 4 in the Super League played 14 games against the top 4 in the Championship.

Now I think they've gone back to one up one down.