The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tanking doesn't always get you the best players.

Tom Brady was drafted 199th overall by the Patriots in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL Draft.

The quarterbacks picked ahead of him were Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger and Spergon Wynn.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  2. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in the 1953 NFL draft, the New York Giants picked Hall of Famer Roosevelt Brown, one of the greatest offensive linemen of all time, in the 27th round.

Paul Berry repped this.
  3. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woah, really!?! So says the man that refuses to accept that pro/rel is a foreign concept in US sports and keeps calling for it to be like every other Euro league (expect Belgium,Holland and any other Euro league that has a playoff system for Euro spots). I mean damn man that's one hell of a self own.

4. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    That’s former D1-A National Champion Tee Martin. Was Tom Brady ever D1-A National Champion?

Your honor, I rest my case.

5. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    So I remember every single player here except I’m pretty sure “Giovanni Carmazzi” isn’t real.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  6. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Last I heard, Carmazzi was raising goats.

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah except they've finished in the top 4 each season since 2014-2015

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    If the thread was called "The All-Encompassing Use playoffs to determine the champion Thread" on Soccer in England, it would be entirely appropriate to talk about the perceived issue of how wrong it is to determine a champion through a round robin home/away structure.

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I'll believe a draft doesn't reward failure when US major leagues all scrap their drafts.

And anyway, it really doesn't matter. Either a draft rewards failure or, if it doesn't, the bottom teams - unlike in pro/rel leagues - have nothing to play for. Either way the moniker "playing for better draft choices" encapsulates those two possibilities and highlights a weakness of closed leagues.

It's also interesting how some posters on here react to being confronted by that. I guess it hits a raw nerve. Heck, one particular individual crawled out of the woodwork after not posting here for seven weeks just to attack me. Go figure.

10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Something can be on topic and idiotic at the same time.

jaykoz3 and HailtotheKing repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because that's a lot easier than actually analyzing data. For example, when was the last time a team in MLB immediately improved based on their draft? One of the historically worst teams in baseball, the Seattle Mariners, used a #1 draft pick on one of the all-time greats, who set a record for Hall of Fame votes gotten once he retired (Ken Griffey Jr.) and it still took 7 years to make the playoffs for the first time.

Plus, the draft doesn't solely exist for the reason you claim. Its also a negotiated way between the NCAA and the major leagues to distribute college talent without issues like recruiters on campus and such. So even if id doesn't help teams at all there's still a reason for its existence.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    And something can be both non-idiotic and on topic too... like the moniker "playing for better draft choices", for example.

13. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
  14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Why is "immediate improvement" the only way to judge whether better draft choices rewarded failure?

Yet with every other business, college recruitment seems to work just fine.

15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Where’s the draft choices in American sports thread?

16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Huh?

17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Your constant whiny draft choices catchphrase would be more on topic in that thread.

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    How so? In pro/rel leagues the price of failure is relegation. In closed leagues, the price of failure is "better draft choices". This is a thread on pro/rel. And it's not "whiny" anyway; it's accurate.

19. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    A literal price of failure! Gotta love it.

20. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Imagine the money they'd have gotten if they hadn't been relegated. Is it more or less than a parachute payment?

21. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    A small reward is still a reward.

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Given the team is also relegated, it's hardly a reward.

The equivalent would be if the better draft choices went to the teams at the top and the worst to those at the bottom along with banishment to the minor leagues for at least a season. Is that what happens?

23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Not to mention the reward of money is guaranteed. Even with a high draft pick there’s no guarantee the player even appears in a game, let alone becomes a vital contributor to the team in question.

24. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brady was the backup quarterback on Michigan's 1997 national championship team.

25. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Relegation is also guaranteed.