The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27226 Doogh, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    You still take this guy seriously right? Are you friends with him or something?

There IS an incentive, its called selling players. MLS becoming a selling league would entice them to enter the transfer market. USL is following suit.

Source? I don't see "owners also profiting from the national teams" here...

Huh?

What are you talking about?

I hope you aren't...

being facetious.

What?

Stop lying...

ok?

Yeah, it's US Soccer fault for bidding for the 1994 World Cup in exchange promising FIFA's requirement for them to establish a D1 professional soccer league. NASL 1.0 had it in the bag!

2. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Did you read the thread at all before your kneejerk response?
    That says there's not a conflict of interest, which I wasn't asserting.
    It's also a quote from Don Garber.

Fair enough. Now do domestic transfers, which are far more likely for American players.
    Not an American.
    No idea what this tweet was supposed to prove.
    What? He's Cameroonian.
    And he's Kenyan.

Remember that we're talking about academies here. Although these certainly were good gets for their respective clubs.

Ok. You got me. Here's a guy.

3. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    #27228 Expansion Franchise, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    https://theathletic.com/1894345/2020/06/25/

The employees were told the cuts were “all COVID-related,” per the employee, “but we know that’s probably not true.”

“This was talked about before COVID hit,” the former employee said. “(Minnesota owner) Dr. (Bill) McGuire had come up with every idea possible: we were going to cut these two teams, we were going to merge into this team. He had the idea early in the year, before COVID, to cut the academy. He was going to bring it up in an owners meeting to see what they’d say.”
    I don't really have a problem with MN UTD feeling like it's a better use of their resources to buy players on the market than develop them, but it starts to become a problem if every team starts thinking this way.

Ed: accidentally left in an irrelevant quote.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27229 Paul Berry, Jul 8, 2020
    I think he'll be told that they have to have an academy.

Thanks for that.

But why does that matter? It's a domestic transfer between USL and MLS. Marc-Anthony Kaye is another examples.

And backhanded confirmation that transfer fees do exist...

https://theathletic.com/1513712/202...more-players-making-the-jump-from-usl-to-mls/

“I think there’s a stigma that if an MLS club pays a transfer fee for a guy who joined a USL club for free, they’re admitting that they missed him,” Egner said. “That’s obviously not the case: guys go to USL clubs and they develop into better players than they were when they signed there. Hopefully that stigma goes away. I can tell you from our standpoint that we will always continue to look at the Championship.”

The USL Academy League has big aims, but MLS could determine its success

Doogh and HailtotheKing repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS teams signed a dozen players under 16 this season, including a 14 year-old goalie at San Jose.

6. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it does. You may not think so personally, but what seed you are matters. Whether or not you have to play the extra game matters. What match ups sit on your road to the title matter.

Getting down to brass tacks this is where the actual issue resides. BUT, folks crucify MLS

I did but you and a few over there don't balance the vast majority that honestly have all but forgotten about it. But yes, the actions or lack of in the broader soccer fandom do have to do with the perception held of MLS.

One would think. Many times we see the crowds mocked for showing up to fake soccer. Or it's tossed aside because DAL doesn't do this.

A question you're trying really hard not to really address for what it is actually dealing with. Insert the EPL not sharing any real monies with the rest of the pyramid, or MX's joke of a pro/rel, or the leagues elsewhere that use playoffs to determine a champion .... All things that the vast majority crucify MLS for doing or not doing.

So let's rephrase. Why don't YOU (not you personally, but the vast majority that have the perception of MLS because of these things) hold the same perceptions of these leagues as you do MLS? Why do YOU only hold MLS/USA accountable to these standards and not the other leagues/countries?

How is the perception supposed to be changed when this is the standard practice for the vast majority that perceive MLS negatively?

You chime in on me too.

I'm not interested in an echo chamber. Are you? You hold opinions and thought about the league and US soccer in general that sits more opposed to mine than in line.

If I (we) can't discuss with you ... What is the hope of any discussion at on this at all?

Sucks that you feel speaking directly to things is whining ... Yet another perception to deal with.

Who cares? Well, fans of MLS and its clubs. Fans of US soccer. When what is good is dismissed, spun, or flat out ignored it shows that people not only still hold certain perceptions but are also entrenched in them. That's bad for the league and US as fans moving forward. You dismissing speaking to these perceptions as whining only enables their continuation.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Cameroonian....Kenyan.....finally an american. Lower divisions picking up internationals on a free then selling them on is a business model, but doesn't really help develop americans. Jahn was also old, and I'm pretty confident that Phoenix FC ownership is well versed in how transfers work in the real soccer world and weren't going to be taken for a ride....

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USL academy league started in 2019. Before then there wasn't much structure. USL lineups tend to consist of journeymen, signed on one year contracts, ex-college players and MLS loanees.

A typical example is Josh Yaro at San Antonio who was the second overall MLS draft pick in 2016.

There is also a small bunch of talented young players who are avoiding MLS academies because they want to go to Europe at 18 without the weight of a transfer fee. Haji Wright, for instance.

The attraction of building academies would be to sell players on to MLS, or pick up training comp and solidarity fees for players that go overseas.

The risk is that those fees won't cover the cost of their academy programs.

9. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27234 Doogh, Jul 8, 2020
  10. That's right:thumbsup:

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we were talking about USL academies and domestic transfers.

Example transfers of former MLS academy players to European clubs:

Davies (Can) - up to $22 million
    Steffen - $7 million
    Scally - up to $7 million plus sell on fee
    Miazga - $5 million
    Adams - $3.3 million plus 33% of future transfer fees
    Richards - up to $2 million
    Durkin - $1.1 million
    Hamid - ?
    Palmer-Brown - free
    McKennie - free
    Reyna - free
    Wright - free

12. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Also there's some subjectivity to "importance." Personally I find the FA Cup to be more interesting than the league even if some teams aren't rolling out the strongest possible lineups.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    We were, but this guy has it out for me because I follow somebody on Twitter.

It's also tough, because it means the USL clubs are doing the international scouting and taking the risks. And since USL contracts are usually fairly short, MLS also can wait them out.

Also, as you say, it's not immediately obvious how this helps Americans, although raising league quality overall has to be considered a positive.

Which I think describes Adam Jahn pretty succinctly.
    We agree here. Part of the conflation of USSF/MLS is likely down to the perception of how much influence MLS has on the federation as a whole.

14. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
  15. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    You think USL is sending scouts across the globe or youthink internationals are winding up in the US, walking on/tryout out for lower league clubs and getting noticed?

How much influence does Jeff Dunham have over Bubba J ?

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less than most top-flight leagues I suspect.

17. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Durkin and Miazga were former MLS academy players. Zack Steffen is the outlier but he did play in the DA.

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  19. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Oh no, they’re certainly scouting from L2/NPSL. The colleges are the ones getting them to the US.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Davies himself gives credit to his Edmonton youth club. When he arrived at Vancouver academy, he was already too good for that level hence him starting in MLS at 15 years old.

Fun thing is that he most likely dislike the Whitecaps after the stunt they tried to pull when Bayern wanted to buy him. Heard that he stop following Vancouver on social media.

21. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    If anyone is more interested in how colleges get these players, The Section 109 podcast's player interviews gave some really fascinating insight into the process.

https://section109podcast.podbean.com/e/episode-11-nathaniel-bongo-bedai/

https://section109podcast.podbean.com/e/episode-10-max-wilschrey-and-markus-smarzoch/

https://section109podcast.podbean.com/e/episode-17-breaking-news-joao-costa/

22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Lol, this post is very Mean Girls.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's the truth

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen played for Philly Academy in 2012. I think he was already a NT youth player.

Doogh repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean Carl Robinson wasn't personally responsible for developing $22 million worth of talent?:eek:

jaykoz3 repped this.