The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think USSF's plan is to have 300,000 qualified coaches by 2022 but that's still only 1 per 180 children aged 5 and over.

2. I read in other threads to battle corona's messing up competitions mls should reduce the number of matches. How can that be realistic in terms of being a real competition? The schedule used now I already consider iffy, but to shrink it in any way makes it a farce.

3. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I'm not sure it would be a farce, playoffs decide the champion anyway. It would not be ideal for sure. There have been examples in US sports that would seem farcical as to not having a 'proper' fixture list but people seem to get over it quickly. In 1981 the baseball season was interrupted by a strike and the playoff format was changed for a year and teams qualified on unequal schedules. Folks seemed to enjoy and accept the Dodgers World Series victory. In 1987, the NFL players were on strike. Replacement players were brought in to play and those three games counted in the standings and toward playoff qualification and seeding. The Redskins were and are widely regarded as the NFL champs that year. In the 90s due to a lockout, a season was played that was not a 'proper' 82 game schedule.

In a situation like this a closed league with playoffs is more equipped to deal with this because there is not much else to worry about. European leagues may have to deal with an incomplete fixture list that opens many questions that need to be answered. Who gets promoted or relegated? Do teams get promoted or relegated? Is the season void and starts over next year with the same clubs? Who qualifies for Europe in an unbalanced schedule? I'm not saying that fear of pandemics is why a league should be closed with unbalanced schedules, just that they are perhaps more equipped to handle variances in schedule.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF? Why? Is there something special about 34 games?

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that in the American system, the first part of the season is about qualifying for the second part of the season where the championship is decided.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like Europe. (Scotland :D )

7. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have already been 115 games postponed. It seems highly likely that there will be more. Eventually they are going to reach a point where there are fewer available dates than there are games that have to be made up. They are going to have no choice but to shrink the season.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut up.

CrazyJ628, HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It's more equipped because there's less on the line. "Playing for better draft choices" is a little different from playing to avoid relegation.

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any promotion and relegation system that sees its season cut short due to an unforeseen catastrophe should just have promotion and SUSPEND relegation until the crisis passes. Reward good performance without punishing teams that were deprived of the chance to save themselves.

It may result in an abnormal number of teams in a particular level for a year or two, but... tough.

11. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    It's more equipped in a case like this because pro/rel isn't a question that has to be answered. Only who makes the playoffs. It has nothing to do with draft picks at this point.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS superdraft has become virtually irrelevant. The top picks go to expansion teams. Most of the remaining picks will fill out rosters.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year's Rookie of the Year was a non-expansion team draft pick.

I will agree that outside the first round its pretty pointless.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok but it's a bit of a lottery. He was the 5th first round pick, which means the teams "playing for draft picks" passed on him.

15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It’s more equipped because the bottom teams are playing for little or nothing , ie “playing for better draft choices”. This is a point I’ve been making for years and it’s good to see you coming on board with that.

16. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    In the USL.

17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except in MLS they aren't "playing for better draft choices" and haven't been for years ... good to see you're STILL harping on OLD/OUTDATED shit that doesn't apply to the actualities of the league.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the 3rd-round picks got skipped this year. The draft is really on it's last legs.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drop the draft, create an allocation order-like list where each team gets a pick of one "draft eligible" player per year, optional to use.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still defend college soccer because in the big scheme of things it's good to broaden the appeal of the sport, it's still of value to the kids who play it, and hey--it helped pay for my kid's education :) ....but, the current level of play and STYLE of play just isn't something that can be a useful base for developing professionals. It needs to be it's own thing.

CoachP365 and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Do you think the summer, amateur leagues are more directly useful for developing potential professionals?

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't know. I'm not saying there's a better option out there; it's just that while I used to think that college soccer was better than nothing, now I'm not so sure. The focus on athleticism and the frantic pace precludes learning anything really useful--I'm worried it comes at the detriment of tactical development.

I could be wrong. But my son didn't have much good to say about it as far as his development as a player.

23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched the first two episodes of The English Game and they haven't got around to pro/rel yet. :cry:

Chesco United and JasonMa repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was no NCAA soccer the best college kids would be in pro academies (though some would inevitably slip through the net).

25. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I meant with regards to the current system. There are currently a lot more college teams than USL2/NPSL (and those leagues aren't all college players), so you'd think that the competition to make a squad would be higher and, in turn, so would the level of play in general. I have no idea if that's true, which was the basis of my original question. Basically, if the college game isn't preparing players, are the summer leagues able to better fill that role (with the understanding here that the college side is doing other things to prep them for life and that the summer leagues wouldn't really exist without the college system).

Also, the rules are more in line with the pro game.