The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. You bet, and in front of the tv's they're awol too.
    I havenot seen one CL match between those superclubs, while I can watch them all and for free in the Netherlands and the same goes with more Dutch than UEFA likes.
    One has to realize that for global sponsors the eyeballs in front of a screen matter, not the numbers in the stadium. Fact is that the eyeballs are dropping fast and there's no reason to suggest it's going to be different for the SL.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo
    Nah, we just "flip the bird".

3. My nephew's wife is from Newcastle and fan of the club. She will smack you for such comments!!

4. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    That article doesn't really support your thesis:
    "Nielsen ratings show Liverpool’s 2-0 win over Tottenham on June 1 averaged 1.508 million viewers. The total was down from the 2.004 million that watched last year’s game on Fox."
    (Note that TNT is a cable station, whereas Fox would have been network and then compare it to this: )
    "The 2009 final on ESPN — the last one on cable before this season — averaged 1.43 million."
    So it had more viewers than the last time it was on cable at a time when there were over 10% fewer cable subscribers. Granted, soccer is more popular than it was 10 years ago, but the Venn diagram of the soccer demographic and the cord-cutters overlaps heavily.

Finally:
    "The final was the only round of the Champions League where Turner did not have ratings increases compared to last year. "

Besides the fact that it was obviously a net positive in viewership overall, it's worth noting that the final in 2018 would have been over Memorial Day weekend.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in that season they could have lost 10 of the games they drew, or 3 of the games they won, and still won the league. So the point being made was still valid.

Pretty sure he meant the last round of the 2018-19 season, not the last round of games played over last weekend.

bigredfutbol and HailtotheKing repped this.
  6. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Like I said the real problem with any 'superleague' are the 'paying' customers, Liverpool Football Club is an incredibly important part of the community, 55000 people go to their worshipping house every time they play at Anfield and it is these people (and others like them across the world) that have turned football into what it is today and unfortunately for any owners (domestic or foreign) these are the people that have to be pandered too and these people do not want to play Locomotiv Moscow instead of Everton! Because Everton havent had much success since the 1980's and dont have as many supporters worldwide as Liverpool or Arsenal it may be difficult for somebody in Texas or somebody in Singapore to appreciate what a Liverpool v Everton game means to the people in the stadium. Everton may well be an afterthought easily discarded by EPL fans in India but in Liverpool Everton fc is EVERY bit as important to the people as Liverpool fc, can you imagine what would happen in the city if a superleague tried to rip the two apart? The only way a superleague would has a chance of working would be if it was played in conjunction with domestic football WITH pro/rel opening it up to all

7. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    If that is the case, I'm sure LFC would turn down a SL invitation.

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... the dynamic changes if those are now league clubs and rivals. You realize that, don't you?

AGAIN ... there are consequences for being the worst team in the league ... they just aren't the same ones y'all have.

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 55K worshipers are still going to show up to Liverpool SL games, just as they do for Liverpool UCL and UEL games now.

When was then last time Chelsea played Leeds? I would imagine if the gap between games increases younger fans aren't going to remember the halcyon days of the intense hatred for Leeds, seeing as they never personally experienced it. Which, let's be honest here, it's good thing many fans these days didn't get the chance to experience the English First Division from the 1980's (speaking of the Hooliganism that nearly killed off the game). I imagine it's safe to say that Stamford Bridge is a much different (i.e. friendlier) environment and fan experience today then it was back in the 80's.

As for Everton, IF they were to be relegated from the EPL and somehow manage to pull a Leeds or Sunderland.....are Liverpool FC fans suddenly going to stop going to Church at Anfield every week? I'll save you the time of finding the answer....NOPE!

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The increase in earlier rounds is probably due to Turner being available on basic cable while FS1 and FS2 require an add-on package.

FS1 and FS2 are where sports go to die.

M repped this.
  11. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Given the american infatuation with ManU and SAF, this isn't a shock :)

“I thought I knew what the group might need, that we didn’t need a big team talk,” Keane said. “It was Tottenham at home. I thought please don’t go on about Tottenham, we all know what Tottenham is about, they are nice and tidy but we’ll ********ing do them. He came in and said: ‘Lads, it’s Tottenham’, and that was it. Brilliant.”

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Aston Villa didn't play in the Premier League in 2018/19. They did play Burnley in the "last round" of games at the end of December. So.... no.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care.

The bigger point was that I'm a lot more interested in teams in MLS in similar positions playing in matches that could potentially get them into the postseason tournament than I am in watching teams that are so bad they're just trying to hang on. I was more interested in the "occasion" part.

Regardless... right now, the teams in the EPL are still pretty bunched up in the middle of the table. But that's not going to keep. By the time we get to the point of 32 matches played, there are going to be plenty of meaningless games. Truth.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?

Well you'll struggle to find a Manchester United, Liverpool or Chelsea fan in the Northeast of England. I spent my teenage years there.

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal did in 2003/04, though they dropped 24 points in drawing 12 matches.

16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Clearly. If you did, you wouldn't post the crap you do.

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're a real piece of work.

Shouldn't you be railing on about the draft picks that are being spent as we speak?

18. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Erm, how long ago was that? Globalization is more of a 21st century trend.

But, sure, specific demographics will have variation.

19. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    You get called out for posting crap and resort to insults. Predictable.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's still like a separate country.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver "benefited" from tanking with the 4th college draft pick.

They picked him because he's a Generation Adidas Canadian, meaning he won't count against the salary budget but will count as domestic.

He's also a TFC academy reject.

I doubt we'll hear his name again.

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard his name yet.

blacksun and jaykoz3 repped this.
  23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cartel.

24. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    "There you go again".

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's annoying when people say the same thing over and over, isn't it? Cartel.