The All-Encompassing Playoffs-in-Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Feb 28, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let's say after games 1 to 37 Man City are the best team in the country. Then in the final match Raheem Sterling misses a sitter in the last minute, which allows Liverpool to finish above them. Are Liverpool now the best team in the country?

2. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes because they've done it over 38 games and not one or two, if Liverpool are one point behind City after 37 games then they deserve to be one point behind, if however after the season finishes City have to play West Ham (who finished 4th 20 points behind City) in a one off game and West Ham sneak a win (despite City having 30 shots at goal to West Ham's one and despite City missing 3 penalties and hitting the post 4 times) then it would turn the season into a mockery.

M repped this.
  3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great and all, but NEXT season isn't indicative of THIS SEASON'S TEAM. It won't be the same, and neither will any other club.

We've already shown you EXACTLY how it is more than one league. You simply refuse to accept FACTS because pro/rel connects the leagues. The PREMIER LEAGUE is a separate and different league from the FOOTBALL LEAGUE which is a separate and different league from the NATIONAL LEAGUE.

Nobody is saying you can ... though continued insistence by you that this is the point just continues to illustrate that you do not fundamentally understand the season/playoff relationship.

But the playoffs are based on the 38 results prior to them. Both City and WH knew what had to be done to win the whole thing. WH did it better than City in your scenario, so according to you and your own words .... that makes them better. Also, funny how you "talk about everything" here in this example to show how it'd be a mockery of things for City if WH beat them in a playoff game BUT BUT BUT you wanted to dismiss it all when I was showing how you could very easily argue Arsenal was the best team in '98-99. SELECTIVE APPLICATION OF PRINCIPLE YET AGAIN FROM YOU

4. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    How would a post season cup be viewed by English fans? Here's how it could work. The season ends on a Saturday. The 7th place team plays at the 2nd place team, the 6th at the 3rd, and the 5th at the 4th play on the following Wednesday. The winners advance to Sunday. The 4/5 winner (ties go to the highest seed) plays at the league champions while the 3/6 winner plays the 2/7 winner. The next weekend the winners play in the post season cup final. All tie games are advanced by the higher seed, the higher seed plays at home, the league champions don't have to play the mid week game. It only takes 2 extra weeks, the league Champs are still decided by the league table, they get advantages in the cup. I think it could be huge.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FA Cup Final is traditionally the post-season showpiece and the UCL Final is played after the end of the season, so you could end up with a team involved in 3 post-season competitions.

6. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Oh well, so much for that idea.

7. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I''m not too sure that clubs would be too keen, I say this because they already complain there is too much football, there is talk of doing away with one of the cup competitions already.

8. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Probably. Just thinking for fun, not solving a need.

9. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fair enough, still think it would be one competition too many for the clubs though, managers are constantly going on about the amount of football they have to play already.

10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    #110 M, Apr 5, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    You don't even know this "theoretically". Maybe those Belgian internationals wouldn't be up for getting kicked around the park on a cold midweek evening in Kings Lynn and think it's all way beneath them? This is one of the strengths of pro/rel. If you want to play at the top level, you have to earn it on the field of play rather than hoping you get your cartel membership fee accepted.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  11. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Good to see the new thread is full of bullying and harassment like the old one.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's obvious that some of you are going to talk about English soccer no matter what.

This is the Soccer in the USA forum. This thread is about playoffs in the United States. The other main thread in this forum is about pro/rel...in the United States.

I really believe that pro/rel and playoffs vs single-table are two different issues. And I really believe that both issues deserve discussion within the particular circumstances of soccer in the USA. I also believe that England is an extreme outlier, where pro/rel is firmly established and still viable thanks to the deeply rooted and widespread support for individual clubs.

I don't for the life of me understand why both threads have become a constant referendum on English soccer. As much as I'd hoped to clarify the debate, it seems nothing works. This thread has just turned into another variation of the same discussion. Which, if nothing else, suggests that I was wrong to think we could use a separate discussion on playoffs.

So I'm going to close this thread, and maybe remind you all that there's an entire forum on BigSoccer where you can talk English soccer to your heart's content.