The agenda of the left

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure thing, tell that to a seven year old who doesn’t see his dad very often.

2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I come from a family
    That has a broken home
    Sometimes I talk to daddy
    On the telephone
    When he says that he loves me
    I know that he does
    But i wish I could see him
    I wish I knew where he was
    But that's the way all my friends are
    Except maybe one or two
    Wish I could see him this weekend
    Wish I could walk in his shoes
    But now I'm doin' my own thing
    Sometimes I'm good, then I'm bad
    Although my home has been broken
    It's the best home I ever had

American Brummie repped this.
  3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was a tad older than 7 when my parents split, but I was just fine with it. At 7, I would have been fine, as well.

What's your point?

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let’s take this to its logical conclusion. there’s nothing wrong with zero parents! the fewer the better!

5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What a sad, sad response by you.

That is not the logical conclusion.

I should expect better, but I don't.

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are the one here arguing that there’s nothing significant about having only one parent buddy. I’m not arguing that people who have one parent are bad people, or can’t have a great life, or that single parents are bad but it’s quite obvious for a healthy society you want as many two parent households as possible.

7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1307 xtomx, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    There isn't anything wrong with having unmarried parents.

It is nonsense that "it's quite obvious for a healthy society you want as many two parent households as possible."

Having a single parent who cares deeply about their children and can afford to support the children would be infinitely "healthier" than having two who don't give a crap and cannot. That is "obvious."

dapip and soccernutter repped this.
  8. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    And having 2 wealthy yet shitty parents who only care about their next fix is worse. Almost a guarantee that the kids will be a complete wreck.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is insane. you really can’t follow a logical thread. I never said that all two parent households are better than all single parent households. Please don’t strawman. If you can’t follow basic assertions you shouldn’t argue on the internet.

10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My comment goes to you too.

• Children are significantly more likely to avoid poverty and prison, and to graduate from college, if they are raised in an intact two-parent family.TWEET THIS
    • From poverty to college graduation to incarceration, black children and young adults from two-parent families are more likely to be flourishing than their white peers from single-parent families.TWEET THIS
    • On average, black young adults from families headed by their mother and father are more likely to be flourishing educationally than black young adults from non-intact homes.

https://ifstudies.org/blog/less-pov...two-parents-mean-for-black-and-white-children

superdave repped this.
  11. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is this quite obvious? What's better about a two parent household? I mean, in general, since you already said that not all two parent households are better, but if it's quite obvious, what's better?

soccernutter and xtomx repped this.
  12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right, so I don't necessarily think that correlation is causation, but since you posted this study that shows that two parents are better - what if one of the parents is in prison? Should we let them out of prison so they can go back to their family and make a two parent household? I mean, based on this study you posted, that would make for better outcomes for their children, and therefore better for society, right?

xtomx repped this.
  13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd question. Is your assumption that the vast majority of black fathers who are not living with their children are in prison? That’s not correct as far as I know.

Separately, I do not believe that felons with long term sentences are likely to just move back home in with mommy and play house, so they are likely still single parent households even when dad gets out.

you guys just leap from ideological point to ideological point based on what suits your emotional needs apparently.

14. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jazzy should learn what a spurious relationship is!

If every single-parent family had the same societal support as every two-parent family (free child care, free school lunches, and so on), then one-parent families would be perfectly fine.

It's the fact that two-parent families provide two incomes, or one high income and one stay-at-home parent, that allow those children to have better outcomes down the road.

So the answer isn't to force two-parent households artificially. It's to guarantee that children have no barriers to success.

Now go away.

soccernutter, chaski, luftmensch and 5 others repped this.
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Every situation is different. I believe the Trump kids would be worse off if he actually paid attention to them growing up.

MattR, rslfanboy, song219 and 3 others repped this.
  16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We all know that the obvious solutions for our society's parental problems are subsidized soccer camps held in private facilities. Get on with the program guys...

17. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    This is the kind of intellectually rigorous discussion I come her for.

By the way, as a child of a single father, I'll kindly ask you to go ******** yourself with a jig saw.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1318 Jazzy Altidore, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Amazing to see how the official ideological talking point of the left is that a two parent household has no advantages over a one parent household aside from resources. It’s really amazing evidence of the West’s decline.

There is NO inherent emotional or psychological benefit to having a dad who loves you over just a mom. It’s why young men and girls who don’t have dads are so well on average. There are NO SUCH THING as daddy issues and seeing a healthy marriage as your life example has NO BENEFITS.

19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually this fact makes a lot of sense about you, very revealing.

20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Is this about to become some screed about the irrelevancy of males in most modern western societies? I'm seeing a lot of males who seem to think they are not useful in these societies.

soccernutter repped this.
  21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We need subsidized private ball tanning facilities.

Cascarino's Pizzeria and luftmensch repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not the one saying dad’s are irrelevant aside from resources. That’s the opposite position. I wonder if they ever told their dad the only benefit they received from having him around was a free lunch?

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who said forced two parent households artificially? Holy shit you guys. Every post includes some artificial argument I never made.

Have you ever told your dad he was irrelevant other than putting food on the table? I’m sorry for you if that was your relationship with your father.

there’s a reason why young children with no fathers latch onto the random male figures around them. It’s not a lack of lunch.

24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Many arguers who are the biggest 2 parent family preachers are males who have fear of coming irrelevant. The other main justification is "tradition."

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States