The Africa Thread (Arsenal related........kind of!!)

Discussion in 'Arsenal Tickets and Travel' started by Rick B, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    I often get asked about why I like Africa and hear people say they would love to go etc. In fact thinking about it, recently I have been asked more questions on Africa than on Arsenal Tickets!!!

There are a few people on this forum who have visited various countries on this vast continent and can give completely differing views. One view I have always heard though, is anyone who has been and travelled around a bit in Africa fell in love with the place. The people, the scenery, the culture and the children’s innocence. It takes you back and makes you want to go again and again.

I and Judy (Red Agave) have at different times both travelled to Southern Africa and funnily enough it was the fact that both of us had been to a very remote place in Zimbabwe called Sinamatella, which got us really talking one day in the Tavern. Africa does that to you, and anyone that has spent a few days with me can attest how my love of the place comes out when it comes up as a subject.

At present the media perception of Africa is not favourable. It never really has been and unfortunately (as is proven by various comments on this board) many people have a perception that just isn't true. That will not change over night, but if I can just change one person's views by this thread - then it's worth it.

There are various things happening this year involving both members of this board and Arsenal fans. Firstly in June this year I am taking a group of 8 people including myself for three weeks across Zimbabwe, and into Botswana, Namibia and Zambia. Those going from here are Judy, Billy (billyho96) and Dave (leepyswetr) and I.

If you are interested in the Itinerary we are doing http://zimbabwe.pbwiki.com/ that is what we will be seeing.

Secondly if you want to find out more about Non Governmental Agencies and Charity work in Africa there are two events which people are involved in who are Arsenal fans and members of Arsenal America.

http://www.eliasfund.org/ is a charity that was set up by the band Dispatch. They raise money for projects in Zimbabwe and its Executive Director is coming on the above trip for a week of it with us. They have organised a festival called:

EliasFest: Voice of the Voiceless

May 5th 2:30 - 9:30

Nara Park - Acton, MA

This will feature several bands and events that will raise money for projects such as building a community centre, looking at irrigation projects and getting involved in projects helping children with HIV/Aids. if you have nothing to do and are nearby that weekend - go along.

Thirdly Dispatch are playing 3 gigs at Madison Sq Gardens in July. There will also be an event in Central Park. I am going to be flying over for this so hopefully will be sinking a few pints with some of the New York contingent on here.

Lastly (so far) I, Eric and others will be going back to Zim in September/October to see how the community centre project is progressing and organise other projects from the proceeds of the funds. If anyone does want to have 6 weeks on a project in Africa and has the time - feel free to PM me for more information.

I am sure that Billy, Dave and Judy will be posting their experiences of Africa when they get back.

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    god I wish i had some money

3. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heidi & I are saving our money for World Cup 2010 to hang out with Rick B :)

4. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife couldn't go during the time frame you're going but she's going with her girlfriends in August.

5. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    The other thing I forgot to mention is that we are all (apart from one) who are going in June, Arsenal fans. So bizarre pictures of Arsenal wearing fans in random places will certainly be taken!! I am also half inclined to take the Arsenal America flag with me................not sure how well that will go down with Mike though!!!:p

6. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine with me, as long as you promise to track down Bobby & Dennis to get them to sign a new one should something happen to it! :D

7. Rungostar

Rungostar Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I've lived and travelled extensively in Eastern and Southern Africa and all I can say is ditto. I'll be moving back there sooner rather than later for a few years.

It's just like no other ...

Once you've been there for a while, you've got to venture out to Mozambique. Its beautiful and the whole Portuguese-African thing is a rarity in Africa. From music to architecture, its really tremendous.

Hopefully, I'll be living in SA by the summer of 2010 and people can swing through for a braii (barbeque) and some drankin.

Ahh ... if only I could leave now ...

8. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    I will certainly do so...........I'll be in Harare by then and am doing a trip of loads of people for the WC. So I'll be doing a lot of braii's and organising a lot of beer drinking. Perhaps we can get together and organise stuff re tickets and trips from Harare to wherever you are............

9. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    guess I should start saving for 2010....

a friend of mine just got back from a year in Port Elizabeth. he lived at the Addo Preserve. was studying elephant behavior for his Masters degree. he loved Africa and got to travel all over South Africa and I think made it as far north as Victoria Falls

10. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pretty ironic that you'll be safer sporting that Arsenal shirt in Africa than you would be in London (at least near WHL). LOL Hell Wenger's probably worshipped like a god down there. (And if someone could please please please take a video camera so we can put the footage to some U2 music and have a laugh, I would really appreciate it.)
    :D

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!!!! Good job putting all that together, Rick. Your wiki page is really turned out great.

11. Red Agave

Red Agave Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Manchester
    Pretty tenuous connection for the "Arsenal Tickets and Travel" thread :p

**RB see a forthcoming vacancy as President of Zimbabwe and gets his pitch in early....**

P.S. If you have been disturbed by the third world quality of Rick's spelling and grammar, and feel every public schoolboy deserves the chance of a decent education, then don't just walk away. You can make a difference to this young man's life. Go now to:

www.Teach-a-Toff-to-Spell.org

Please give generously.

;)

12. deeplennon

deeplennon Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Seattle
    It's tax deductable right?

13. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    I know, I know - but I do get asked quite a bit about Africa and travel there!!

:D Hmmmmmm, always worth a go.

Yeah, yeah, I got a little carried away and didn't check the post. I have now completed a spell check!! And anyway, most on here would of just put it down to the difference in spelling between the US and UK if you hadn't told them........;)

14. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judy, you can sponsor Rick B, I'll sponsor deeplennon. Pass the tequila :D

15. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The trip sounds awesome. I know you really love Africa. I could tell from talking to you about it Moscow (that sounds surreal.) Sounds like a great trip...just don't "forgot" Billy at one of the stops :D

16. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    I'm such a fool, you should hear the some of the crap that I agree to.

17. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    :D Wouldn't that be an amusing story...........Billy gets arrested in Zimbabwe!!!! Well to be fair there is Judy and I plus Eric who have all been to Africa several times and so we will be making sure nothing happens to anyone. Plus, what could go wrong - we are in 4x4's most of the time going from place to place and unless Billy goes and tries to take a photo too near a Lion or something................hmmmmmmmmmthats an idea - get Billy to take the close up photo's..........:p

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have a little imagination, Rick;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6497691.stm

19. V Funk

V Funk Member

Oct 1, 2001
    West Seattle
    Nice...the soon to be wife and I are heading to Madagascar for our honeymoon in October--stopping in Victoria Falls, Chobe in Botswana/Namibia, and J'burg along the way. Our first trip to the continent and we are ridiculously excited.

20. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nice one! Maybe Daddy needs to take Billy hunting a few times before he goes to Africa. Let him practice shooting at some alligators before he has to shoot an elephant. Seriously, though, how bad a shot do you have to be to not be able to hit an elephant! I mean we kill quail here!

21. canadagooner

canadagooner Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A warning...

Province of Inhambane
    Ministry of Fish and Wildlife
    MOZAMBIQUE

WARNING:
    Due to the rising frequency of human-lion encounters, the Ministry of Fish and Wildlife, Inhambane Branch, Mozambique, is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen, and any motorcyclists that use the out-of-doors in a recreational or work-related function to take extra precautions whilst in the bush.

We advise the outdoorsmen to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any lions that might be close by, so you don't take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-of-doors to carry "Pepper Spray" with him or her in case of an encounter with a lion.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh lion activity, and be able to tell the difference between lion cub sh!t and big lion sh!t. Lion cub sh!t is smaller and contains lots of berries and dassie fur. Big lion sh!t has bells in it and smells like pepper.
    :)

22. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Which camps are you staying in? Are you doing Chobe and Okavango or just Chobe? When you are in Vic Falls, make sure you got to Ilala Lodge for dinner. It's opposite the Sandman Hotel - serves lots of different game and is one of the best restaurants in Southern Africa. Croc soup followed by Impala steak was my last meal there - absolutly amazing!!!

24. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rick are you going to all 3 Dispatch dates? I'll probably go to the Friday or Saturday show let me know.

25. V Funk

V Funk Member

Oct 1, 2001
    West Seattle
    Due to a shortage in time (and Madagascar being our primary destination), we're just going to be in Chobe--staying at Chobe Savanna Lodge and the less than exotic but functional Chobe Safari Lodge. Next time (and I'm confident there will be a next time) we'll budget the time/money to hit up the Delta.

Will definitely take you up on the restaurant tip. We haven't decided where to stay while in Victoria Falls, though. The hotels are at such low occupancy, I'm kinda tempted to just show up at the Victoria Falls Hotel or the like and see what kind of rate we can get (would like to keep the prices low in VFA).

You done the bungee jump? Definitely on the must do list for me...