The Adventures in Policing Thread Part II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several years ago, I heard a story on the news around Christmas that said the Postal Service was the largest federal agency that hired veterans (outside of the Defense Department and the VA). It didn't say how many vets were employed, but it did say that 30% of the veterans at USPS were disabled ones. It made me feel good about supporting the post office, since many veterans are discarded and forgotten by large swaths of the public once their military service is over. Besides, I like a lot of the stamps the postal service has available. I pay all my bills by mail and I still send out Christmas cards each December (yeah, I'm a bit of a throwback)!

Chesco United, xtomx and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The "Disabled Vets" category covered my dad, who got a 110 on his civil service exam.

crazypete13 and SetPeace repped this.
  3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    As a counteranecdote, the really legendary cop around here., enlisted in the marines at 16. Their aptitude test took him out of line service, much to his displeasure, and put him on a shore patrol/MP track where he served twenty years; at the end of which he was fulsome in praise of the aptitude test, saying he was much better suited to that work than being a grunt.

Out of the marines he went home to Carlsbad where he was recruited to run for County Sherriff, and won. he was term limited to two terms, after which the State Police recruited him to come to Taos and open the new post here. 15 years at that then retired from that with a second pension; at which point he started a badly needed security firm, and signed on as the bailiff of the federal district court--,which he did until his fatal heart attack about twenty years later.

His retirement party from the Staties was attended by several hundred people from all walks-- including about thirty guys he had sent to the pen at one time or another. In fact, if you asked him about one malefactor or another, he could tell you pretty much where they were and what they were doing these days. If one were still incarcerated, he could tell you when he was due for release. His recidivism rate was staggeringly low, or so I'm told.

But more than that-- Stinebeck, in "Sweet Thursday" wrote a chapter on the things a good constable does for his community, and that he is defined less by his reaction to things that happen on his watch than by the number of things that do not.

When Sunshine-- his nickname-- was on security at the local honkytonk, he would come in half or three quarters of an hour before the music started, and wander around the room sitting first here and then there chatting with people for a minute or two. After watching and sometimes overhearing this for a year or so, I realized that it was not random; these were people he knew had stresses or angers building up on them, and it was much better to chat with them and ask about their wives and girlfriends and jobs and hopes and dreams and relieve a little of their tension than it was to wait for them to go off. Just the thought that somebody who could have been impersonal and authoritarian wanted to hear their troubles and might be able to pill a string or two and was willing to do so made a big difference to a lot of people. A whole lot of things that could have happened, didn't...

In a town of about 5500 people, his funeral/memorial was attended by a couple thousand plus, an astonishing number of whom had a story to tell.

Deadtigers, Umar, MattR and 1 other person repped this.
  4. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your anecdote is much better.

Deadtigers and roby repped this.
  5. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Former cop Adam Coy charged with murder for the fatal shooting of Black man Andre Hill in Columbus, Ohio.

6. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    This should be the appropriate thread.

L'ville Metro PD investigating a report of an officer seen at a Planned Parenthood clinic protesting....with his uniform on. And his car parked out front.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...icer-seen-abortion-clinic-protest/4524427001/

There is pictorial evidence a Police Officer was there. That will be hard to deny, so the only question now remains is - why were they there to begin with? My guess is this will be swept under the rug.

I am pretty sure this is the only PP clinic in Louisville, Ky. There are 3 or 4 in the state, overall.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3832 Ashur, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    She needs to be heard.
    1382035457542881283 is not a valid tweet id

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

xtomx repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In other "Cops shooting unarmed black people news":

[​IMG]
    He acted "consistent with his training" and "within policy."
    THAT is the problem with policing in America.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says it all really.
    [​IMG]

usscouse repped this.
  11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    This is ********ing unbelievable

note: there was a retaining wall to the right and a very narrow shoulder. She put on her flashers....and was obviously moving someplace that was actually safe.....for the ********ing officer....to exit his vehicle. I have literally gotten out of multiple speeding tickets for doing the exact same thing.

this cop shouldn’t just be fired....he should be charged with attempted vehicular homicide. Two counts...based on pro lifer logic

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I don't know about all, actually. I'd also want to see the same chart, except showing how many police that civilians kill.

13. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Why stop there. How many cops die from donut overdose? :unsure:

14. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I hear what you’re saying. On some level, threat to officer should lead to higher police killings frequency. We have the officer death data. Sort of. The problem there is that officer deaths include guys dying of heart attacks in foot chases, high speed chase deaths, etc.

I wish I could find it, but there was a study done looking at both the relationship between police deaths (or more appropriately, killings) and violent crime rates on the frequency of civilian deaths at the hands of police. This was done on a law enforcement jurisdiction by jurisdiction basis across the US. The relationship was either weak or statistically insignificant. Over a decade, some departments do much better (Detroit) compared to other similar jurisdictions (like St Louis) or even much safer jurisdictions (like those in the Bay Area).

JohnR repped this.
  15. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If true, that would be not be supporting evidence for the Blue Lives Matter movement.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We can all agree that vaping is bull and yes, even illegal for minors in some states. But getting tased (and probably arrested for it): is that good policing? You kidding me?

dapip repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did not shot the kid, is that progress?

I was having this argument with a conceal carry holder, he has gone to training and has seen self defense videos in those classes (and on youtube I am sure).

We both had totally different takes on that video.

His initial thinking was why would the kid make a movement that looks like reaching for a gun.

My initial thinking was the kid was just trying to remove his backpack.

I do wonder if all the videos that people watch in training, with people making sudden movements to reach for weapons, makes them more likely to see danger, compared to people that do not train to handle guns.

Same with police, their training makes then think "he is reaching for a gun" right away, while a non gun person would never think that way immediately.

onefineesq, rslfanboy and soccernutter repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't need to wonder. The videos are trained on how to use a gun, not how to have restraint. Besides, they are probably made by the NRA or an adjacent group.

dapip and xtomx repped this.
  20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

dapip and rslfanboy repped this.
  21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Wow - what f-ing babies

dapip, Mike03, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

dapip repped this.
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pity he couldn't get the max sentence here...

Auriaprottu, dapip and xtomx repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a murder that wasn't premeditated and was not committed in the commission of another crime...that strikes me as a serious sentence. IANAL.

It feels a bit like when a commissioner in a US sport suspends someone for 50% longer than he wants to, then reduces it to the "right" length when the player appeals.

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    If it takes 8 minutes to kill someone, that is something like "concurrent premeditation" isn't it? Took depraved indifference to not get off the guy before he died, however unplanned/spontaneous getting on his neck was?

And if you do it while on the clock, being paid to protect the public safety, that is kind of the moral equivalent of "during the commission of another crime" I think... YMMV...

Auriaprottu, Deadtigers, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.