The ACC in 2011

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Aug 30, 2011.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The Big East is done as a FBS conference. It was us or them. Of course the Big East wasn't started as one. The Big East is currently an unfocused mess with no leadersrhip or direction.

FWIW, I thought the idea of the ACC considering MSG as part of the ACC tournament rotation was a hilarious shot.

2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't rule out Rutgers and UConn heading to the Big 10.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I've heard both were among the 10+ schools who submitted applications to the ACC and many are saying UConn is begging to get in. I know it's not as important anymore with Nebraska losing their certification on a technicality, but isn't Rutgers an AAU school? It will be interesting to see what will happen next. I'm even hearing Notre Dame wanting in was initially denied (I don't know the terms).

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rutgers is an AAU school. UConn is not.

HOWEVER...

UConn just broke ground on a billion-dollar post-grad research complex that would be among the best in the nation, and are on track to double their research funding (currently $225 million). If that happens, they'll probably be invited to the AAU by 2015.

Also worth noting is that Herbst, the new UConn president, has strong Big 10 ties - including ties with the upper-midwest schools that were against UConn/Rutgers invites last summer.

So as it stands now, it looks like the ACC "application" is a way of forcing the Big 10's hand. The idea being, "Take us and our good friends in New Jersey right now, or be locked out of the Northeast/NYC market forever."

Considering how much $$$ comes from the Big 10 network, and how much of a say Uncle Rupert has in that, it's a safe bet they don't want that to happen.

I still put the chances of UConn/Rutgers going Big 10 at something like 20% tops, but I can't rule it out.

Grabbing Syracuse and Pittsburgh was a brilliant flanking move from Swofford, by the way. If they'd gone after Rutgers/UConn first, then the Big 10 would simply have taken the Orange and Panthers.

Notre Dame hasn't been invited to the AAU because their post-grad studies have been shit until recently (same with Dartmouth, for example), but I seriously doubt any conference would reject them as members. The Big 10 went after them very, very hard in 1999, for example, and are doing so again today - as are the ACC.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I saw that and it doesn't surprise me. But people I know say they're trying to force the Big 10's hand.

But, of course, the Big 10 ain't moving til Texas sorts itself out (should be by tomorrow morning) and Notre Dame finishes cock-teasing them again.

Weird time in college sports.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/09/rutgers_remains_in_contact_wit.html

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I definitely agree it was a good opening move that was somewhat unexpected. It solidified the stability of the conference and may force other schools/conferences to act.
    My information regarding ND is very shaky. I don't know the terms of anything discussed. It's important to note the ACC will not bend over for any school and will distribute all conference television and bowl money equally.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm not saying it isn't good information, but I don't trust or believe a damn thing that network reports regarding expansion and re-alignment. They have their own interests and agendas and don't appreciate schools and conferences keeping them out of the loop.

Regardless, I'm not looking forward to North South or any of the other crazy divisions I'm hearing about.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I've seen a couple of reports tonight that the Pac-12 has reached an agreement to add Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Ok State.

So things are moving fast.

I still think it'll be Rutgers and UConn to the ACC but the Big Ten and SEC aren't going to sit idly by and schools like Louisville, West Virginia, Missouri and even Notre Dame are likely in play right now.

10. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notre Dame is the fox in the henhouse right now. Everything from here on out depends upon what they decide to do.

I think they end up staying independent in football and join a new all-Catholic league for basketball and non-revenue sports.

The SEC is going to take West Virginia and quite possibly Cincinnati (they'd love to have a team in Ohio specifically to flip OSU the bird), or perhaps the Missouri/Kansas/Kansas St. triumverate, bringing them to 16.

UConn and Rutgers will wait until they're sure the Big 10 aren't going to offer them spots, then head to the ACC.

If the Big 10 offers Rutgers (an AAU school) but not UConn, Rutgers will take it. In that case, UConn and Louisville or - if they're serious about going Division 1 football - will be in the ACC.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm seeing the same stuff. Will anyone East of the Mississippi care? Did you pay attention to those start times yesterday?
    Maybe with the exception of Notre Dame, those are all schools that need to be in power conferences more than power conferences need them. WVU is grasping and isn't that appealing to anyone. I think it will be great for them if they are picked up by the SEC. They're doing their best to gain DC and move into Virginia.

Jim Parsons and the Big Bang Theory are so ********ing annoying.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Notre Dame needs to be careful not to overplay their hand.

I won't be at all surprised if the four power conferences just up and leave the NCAA and form their own organization. And if that happens and Notre Dame isn't in one of them, they're gonna be screwed.

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    As a Hokie, there's nothing greater than seeing Louisville getting ********ed.

How the ******** did CBS actors win the past two awards?

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's hard for Notre Dame to overplay their hand. They can have pretty much any conference at "hello". I think that no matter what happens, there will always be at least one appealing door left open to them. But, their alumni values their independent status and that will always be the biggest barrier to joining a conference for football.

15. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports now say that West Virginia have submitted their application to join the SEC.

16. Gaucho Bandsman

Sep 19, 2010
    So what would that mean for West Virginia soccer? The SEC doesn't sponsor the sport, are there any decent soccer-only conferences back east?

As for the Syracuse/Pitt movement and how soccer is concerned, it seems to me that could dilute the ACC somewhat. This will help them with recruiting, but if they don't put the resources behind it (and there's no guarantee that they will - the entire point of these moves is to make more money via football and, to a lesser extent, basketball, not "waste" it on a money-losing soccer program), it's not going to do a whole lot of good.

The ACC isn't a good soccer conference because it's the ACC. The ACC is a good soccer conference because a majority of schools put the resources behind their programs to allow them to be good. Dropping a below average program into the conference is not going to magically transform that program into a goliath. The recruiting will be helped, but you're still left with another NC State or VT - not a Maryland or North Carolina. You add too many of those, and you're left with an average conference with a couple of really good teams.

Now, if they add UConn, that's a whole different kettle of fish. That would be a rather large plus on the soccer side. Syracuse and Pitt? I'm not that impressed. It makes sense in the revenue sports though, which is the reason it is being done. We can only hope that they will support their soccer programs to the level that will be required to be competitive against the rest of the conference.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I assume WVU would join Conference USA, a la South Carolina and Kentucky.

And no, there are no decent soccer only conferences back east. The only soccer only conference is Atlantic Soccer and it is a far cry from decent.

18. Gaucho Bandsman

Sep 19, 2010
    Thanks. My knowledge of eastern soccer isn't particularly deep.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I admit I haven't looked anything up, but hasn't the SU athletic department been having financial issues? They'll make out big going to the ACC. It will take a few years, but hopefully the additional revenue will be used to help create a better product.

20. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pitt just built themselves a soccer stadium fairly recently. I wonder if this is any sign of a commitment for them. Or if it just makes better money sense than playing 20-odd miles off campus at a rugby center.

21. markb57

markb57 Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Indiana
    ...and NC State's recent coaching change shows that they are not content with their recent status.

have fun!
    markb

22. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight's matches for conference teams (with predictions! Rankings are today's NSCAA release)
    ACC school listed first

(10) Boston College vs. (2) Connecticut :: 1-1 (2OT)
    Clemson vs. (14) Charlotte :: 0-2
    Duke vs. UNC Wilmington :: 2-1
    Virginia Tech @ ETSU :: 1-2
    NC State vs. Presbyterian :: 3-1
    (1) Maryland @ Seton Hall :: 4-0
    Virginia vs. Radford :: 2-3 (OT)
    (6) UNC @ Wofford :: 3-1

23. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    With 10 minutes remaining in regulation Maryland and Seton Hall tied at zero. UConn 2 Boston College 0.

24. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Wow...Maryland and Seton Hall go to OT tied at zero.

25. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    UConn beats BC 2-0. Could be a new number 1 if Seton Hall wins or ties.