The 3rd Annual Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by JCUnited, Mar 27, 2007.

1. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is my third year of predicting the upcoming Major League Soccer season in the week's before it begins.

Let me impress you all by stating this fact: I have correctly predicted the two clubs in the MLS Cup the past two years. Let me humble myself by stating this fact: I have incorrectly predicted the MLS Cup winner the last two years.

2005-I had New England beating the Galaxy
    2006-I had New England beating the Dynamo

Because of this, I will not be predicting a New England win.

This year is much harder, with the new playoff format making it very difficult to correctly guess the two finalists. But I must try, because I love making predictions.

Here it goes:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    1. DC United
    2. New England Revolution
    3. New York Red Bulls
    4. Chicago Fire
    5. Kansas City Wizards
    6. Toronto FC
    7. Columbus Crew

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    1. Houston Dynamo
    2. Los Angeles Galaxy
    3. FC Dallas
    4. Colorado Rapids
    5. Club Deportivo Chivas USA
    6. Real Salt Lake

That's how I see it settling out. I won't even try to predict point totals. We know the top two in each conference are in the playoffs, so that would be DC, New England, Houston, and Los Angeles.

The next four best point totals will also be in the playoffs. My guess, in this order, is: New York Red Bulls, FC Dallas, Colorado Rapids, and Chicago Fire.

My guess is these clubs will not make the playoffs: Kansas City Wizards, Toronto FC, Columbus Crew, CD Chivas USA, Real Salt Lake. I think the Fire will squeak past Chivas in the final week.

PLAYOFFS (I'm assuming the eight teams will then be seeded based on points total)
    #1 Houston Dynamo v. #8 Chicago Fire
    #4 New England Revolution v. #5 New York Red Bulls
    #3 Los Angeles Galaxy v. #6 FC Dallas
    #2 DC United v. #7 Colorado Rapids

SEMI-FINALS
    #1 Houston Dynamo v. #5 New York Red Bulls
    The ONLY reason I've got the Bulls over the Revs is because the MLS playoffs always toss out one "upset" in that opening round, and I don't see it in any other matchup.
    #3 Los Angeles Galaxy v. #2 DC United
    A great series potentially. I think over a two leg series United would win, but the Galaxy will have the upper hand in a one-off. Besides, the MLS Cup hasn't been the top two teams in a long time, and it is a odd number year for Donovan (champion in 2001, 2003, and 2005)

MLS CUP 2007
    #1 Houston Dynamo v. #3 Los Angeles Galaxy
    A tough one to call. Will a Beckham/Donovan duo lead the Galaxy to the title? Can Houston repeat? I think it will be a good game, and ABC's dream final. I just don't see the fairy tale ending to Becks first year here.

MLS CUP CHAMPION: Houston Dynamo!

Anybody else keen to try?

2. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think it will be Houston vs. Galaxy in the final, but if it's neither team winning, my third choice would be DC United. All three are going to take MLS-quality to a whole new level. I also think Chivas USA and RSL will give teams a run for their money.

Other predictions:
    1) By the end of this season, New England will be the only team without a new stadium date
    2) There will be at least four DP spots used by the end of this season
    3) BeckhamMania will be out of control starting in June. He'll take soccer media to a whole new level, and if he can connect with Donovan in terms of chemistry, the England National Team debate will go to a whole new level. ESPN critics will be all up in that story.
    4) Even though there are only two ABC games scheduled this season, you'll end up seeing at least five.
    5) More SportsCenter coverage than ever. Attendance will also steadily increase

3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I hope you're right.

Here's my playoffs:

1)HOUSTON beats 8)Kansas City
    2)DC UNITED beats 7)Dallas
    3)LA GALAXY beats 6)Columbus
    4)Red Bull loses to 5)REVOLUTION

1)HOUSTON beats 5)Revolution
    2)DC UNITED beats 3)LA Galaxy

1)Houston loses to 2)DC UNITED in a sold out RFK.

4. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston vs DC United in the final.

TFC becomes a great success and does well in the playoffs.

5. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    East
    1. DC United
    2. NY Red Bull
    3. Chicago
    4. Toronto FC
    5. Columbus
    6. New England
    7. Kansas City

West
    1. Houston
    2. LA Galaxy
    3. Chivas
    4. Real Salt Lake
    5. Dallas
    6. Colorado

Playoffs
    1. DC United over 8. Chicago
    2. Houston over 7. Dallas
    3. LA Galaxy over 6. Real Salt Lake
    4. NY Red Bull over 5. Chivas

Conference Championships

1. DC United over 4. NY Red Bull
    3. LA Galaxy over 2. Houston

MLS CUP

1. DC United over 3. LA Galaxy (Breaks the record for the highest TV ratings for an MLS game ever....by a lot)

6. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Actually, I screwed up.

I got the playoff format wrong. The teams will still be seeded by conference. Just if one conference has more clubs in, they'll shift them over.

Here's how I see it based on the actual format.

DC over Chicago
    New York over New England
    DC wins East over New York

Houston over Colorado
    LA over Dallas
    Houston wins West over LA

MLS CUP
    DC over Houston

7. RBNY

RBNY New Member

Apr 4, 2007
    New York
    I see a DC-LA final. DC wins.

DC has built up their midfield and fowrad positions tremendiously this off-season, but the defense is still a question mark.

As for LA, there a solid team all-around, and with addition of Becks, they got even better.

I say DC wins becuase I don't think anyone, let alone LA, can stop the fire power o DC.