The 300 : Preparing for the Carnage Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Poachin_Goalz, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I hope this movie is good. The previews have me totally sucked in. I have been a fan of Frank Miller's writing style ever since my childhood when I followed his Daredevil comics. It looks like another movie jammed packed with epic, stylized violence. Bring it on! Hopefully it will do $100m+ domestically to further encourage studios to be willing to view graphic novels as movie source material.

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i'm intrigued by this. more from the fact that i was a history major then for a love of graphic novels

3. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like its going to be good

4. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    The first time I saw the Trailer, was in Ocotber and it didn't intrigue me at all. I saw it again a couple weeks ago on TV, and it got me hooked. I've watched the trailers a bit online, and I'm getting excited for this one. Officialy the first movie of the year that I'm really excited to see.

5. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Be prepared to tune out the history. They state that a million Persians attacked at Thermopylae. I believe that number is an exaggeration. Herodotus, while very accurate in his description of the physical features of Thermopylae exaggerates the size of Xerxes forces. The number real number has been estimated at anywhere from 100,000-250,000 including support personnel.

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I love the graphic novel and have been a Frank Miller fan as well, read pretty much everything he wrote. I HATED Sin City and Rodriguez's style is horrid for me to watch so I think it will be more of that. But for the sake of post-film discussion I'll watch it. I think it will be very true to the graphic novel apart from one added subplot.

7. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, i know it wasn't a million and I know some stuff on Thermopolyae thanks to my class on Classical Athens in college!

8. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Historical fiction movies always do it for me. Master and Commander, Gladiator all those types hook me. This one looks more action packed than those I just hope they don't completely throw the history portion to the wind.

9. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, even though there are lots of errors in Gladiator and in Master and Commander (i think, i know it differs from the book) I still love the genre.

10. Soju_Gorae

Soju_Gorae New Member

Dec 6, 2006
    L.A. / Seoul, Korea
    Haven't been this excited for a movie since I saw the trailer for The Matrix.

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm totally pumped about this as well. 300 is one of the best works Miller has ever done in my opinion. This especially is a good mix because I'm a history buff. Visually, it looks brilliant.

I heard they added some stuff that wasn't in the book so it's not going to be a straight panel-by-panel copy.

12. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I've read an interview with either the director or producer who said they didn't try to replicate what happened in history, rather they wanted things that look cool. One early review I read said there is heavy metal music playing during the fight scenes.

13. Soju_Gorae

Soju_Gorae New Member

Dec 6, 2006
    L.A. / Seoul, Korea
    Hopefully, Nine Inch Nails.

Loved their track on the trailer. Fitted perfectly.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    There are no reliable numbers. It might as well have been 10000 Persians.
    Doesn't really matter either. The one million that has become part of the myth of Thermopylae, as a hyperbole used to emphasize just how much they were outnumbered.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opens tomorrow. I've been looking forward to this one for a while. Can't wait to see it!

16. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Miller's work is very losely based on history.

And I doubt it was 10000, they wouldn't attack Greece with 10k :)

I wish they made movie based on Gates of Fire which is a great book (I recommend reading it after movie or you'll probably be disapointed with movie :D)

17. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I wouldn't really compare it to those two, since they were grounded in some form of reality. After seeing the trailer with monsters and shit, I'm not really sure if I'm up for it. Graphic novels aren't really my thing, although the subject matter is intriguing enough that I might go if I learn there's a significant historical focus.

18. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Well, it's based on this battle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

19. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Yea, the trolls add a bit of fantasy to it but it's a real event as BW's link above me proves. Therefore it would be categorized as historical fiction in my book.

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    300 [r]

This movie, based on the Frank Miller 1998 graphic novel of the same name, opens in theaters today (Friday, 3/9/07).

-G

21. TxDynamo

TxDynamo Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Houston
    Re: 300 [r]

damn good movie 5*****

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3:30 showing, here I come!

23. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

seeing it tomorrow morning... cheap special in my area...

24. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate

A.O. Scott begins his review in today's Times by saying:

Talk about cutting to the chase! I just watched the History Channel program on the Spartans and Thermopylae, etc., last night. All I needed to know without the histrionics. Apparently, in the movie, King Leonidas' wife says to him at one point: "Come back with your shield--or on it." (!!!)

I'll go see The Host instead.

Battle of the Manly Men: Blood Bath With a Message - N.Y. Times

25. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ancient Sparta must have had modern divorce laws.