The 2025 U-20 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Feb 29, 2020.

1. TimbersArmy

TimbersArmy Member

Manchester United
    Spain
    Sep 20, 2023
    Hopefully this will open the eyes of some and people will stop pushing so hard for 17/18 year old kids to be on the field every week.

The amount of games and minutes Cremaschi played last season is borderline negligent by Miami.

Vargas is another example. There is a balance that needs to be achieved with young players gaining experience necessary to take next steps but also understanding their bodies simply aren’t ready to play 35+ matches.

Hopefully he comes back quickly, but that is a concerning injury for a young player.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general more and more games keep getting added in and we’ve seen the impact in terms of injuries.

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #103 bshredder, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
    It wasn’t so much every week. If Benja started a game every week, okay.

But starting teenagers through congested schedules when teams (with MLS, Leagues Cup & Open Cup) had long stretches of midweek games was a lot for very young players

4. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fletcher Watch

Winoman repped this.
  5. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve been told there will be a U.S U-20 camp in March. The U-20 team has been off since the U-20 WC and will now have the latest start to a cycle I can recall.

U-20 World Cup qualifying starts this summer

6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  7. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overlaps with the summer Olympics, Esmir and Cremaschi will have to only play in one.

8. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    Would you rather go to Paris or Guanajuato?

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Olympic team will just get the first pick and U20s get whoever is leftover.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure which of a half-dozen threads this goes best in... Fidel Barajas

largegarlic repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm not ready to say that the whole switching thing is just a complete non-issue now but, I mean, who knows really? It might be!

12. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    I have known about Fidel's news for a few years.
    I just don't understand why is Fidel doing this.
    Also, I have heard players that will try or will play for the USMNT U20 team. Players that people don't expect.

13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s actually no indication at all that the rule has changed or been relaxed.

And there’s zero chance US Soccer would play Barajas in U20 qualifying unless he files a switch.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I mean I agree with all of that. It seems at least from the evidence in front of us that perhaps (?) FIFA has chosen not to care whether someone switches between competitions at the same level. I find this rather surprising but hey, who knows.

I haven't seen anything official about it. But you could certainly see this creating new issues down the line. At some point someone will surely try to switch back after getting "tied" at U17 level, topping out at U20 for another country after a switch, and then perhaps not having a third option for MNT play. Maybe it's already happened?

And yean, switches at YNT level, especially when you're not making a large change in program quality, seem odd, and I am guessing U.S. Soccer would play it by the book (and that people like Barajas would know what the book says).

gomichigan24 repped this.
  15. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    Barajas isn't the first person that will try this out. There were rumors of Argentina, France, and other countries that had the same type of players.
    FIFA might be be enforcing this rule.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Those weren't rumors! But those were different situations. Argentina used a guy in the U20 finals who played for another country in CONMEBOL qualifying. France did something similar at U17 level. Barajas, if this is happening, would be changing between age groups, not in the middle of one.

17. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    Agree that those players had different situations but Provisional cap-tie is Provisional cap-tie no matter what situations those players are in.
    USSF most know that FIFA is not really enforcing this rule so this rumor might have something right. Even if it's a camp and no game. You still need to file a one-time switch.

18. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Fidel started exclusively representing Mexico instead of the U.S. in 2022 so I'm curious what this "news" you have known about him for "a few years" is

xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ultimately, I don't know what FIFA is going to do or not do, but there's been a lot of talk that FIFA has starting relaxing their rules. If you want to doubt me @gomichigan24, go ahead.

Exactly what that will amount to, who really knows? I don't work for FIFA or make the rules. I could've heard untrue information, but I don't really know how I can be any more clear that this is starting to go around.

What we know for a fact is that in the past Barajas would've not been able to attend a US camp without switching. I don't know how one could see these pieces of the puzzle come together and put their head in the sand as to some of the changes going on, but to each their own.

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    How long ago was that a thing? It wasn't in 2019 when Niko Hämäläinen attended a U.S. U23 camp under Kreis after playing official UEFA YNT games for Finland.

21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #121 gomichigan24, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    We’ve already gone back and forth on this before so no need to rehash. We clearly disagree and no need to have the same argument.

It is my view if players are being told this is the case in youth circles they are being given bad advice. And there’s zero chance USSF would play a player provisionally cap tied to another country in U20 qualifying without a switch being filed.

But there’s never been a rule about being able to attend a US camp without switching. Dual nationals have attended camps all the time in the past prior to switching. And in some instances they attended camps and didn’t switch. It’s never been a rule you can’t attend another team’s camp without a switch. It specifically applies to playing games for another country (though I think something like a closed door scrimmage wouldn’t count as a game).

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #122 gomichigan24, Mar 3, 2024
    The examples that have been given aren’t examples where there hasn’t been a switch but a separate rule where you can’t play in the same competition for different countries. To say that a switch is no longer required based on those examples is conflating two separate rules.

It’s also the case that someone might not be punished unless it was noticed and pointed out. See Zendejas and Mexico leading to punishment much later after the fact. A lot of that probably has to do with him never playing in an official competition for Mexico where I’m guessing this sort of thing is checked (as who is checking for a friendly). But that’s different from saying the rule has been changed or relaxed. USSF is definitely going to play it by the book in any case.

Maximum Optimal repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #123 Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 3, 2024
    I guess it hadn't occurred to me that the Argentina and France guys might not have filed switches that were approved. I just assumed they had, perhaps wrongly!

But yes, I am talking about a couple different things, in part because I've been discussing this with at least a couple different people.

psnotyours and gomichigan24 repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Right, I don't feel the need to rehash the prior discussion, but you were the one that was responding to the content of my tweet and basically called it unfounded. You know I post here.

Should I not look at that as you are trying to call me out?

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That's a fair point. I don't know exactly how or why that happened, but think of all the players that might've wanted to attend a friendly camp over the years that didn't because they were provisionally cap-tied.

Do you think Hamalainen was an exception or some protocols maybe weren't followed properly or even the scope of his participation was limited for this reason? Thats what it seems like to me because if you were allowed to all these years I don't know why we wouldn't see constant situations of this happening.