The 2023 U-20 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    For me the most interesting part of the interview was the characterization of Sullivan as a 7, Aaronson as a 10 and McGlynn as an 8. Obviously, they are versatile enough to play other positions but this gives insight into how the coach envisions the team lining up.

To speculate a little and fill in the gaps:

Sealy and Paredes are obvious other candidates to play the 7/11 positions.

Cowell is the 9.

Vargas the 6.

Gutierrez, Clark, Pukstas and Luna are some other obvious attacking and midfield options.

Perhaps Pukstas competing with McGlynn, and Gutierrez and Luna competing with Aaronson.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not saying you’re wrong about Sealy, but he’s playing in the second division of Netherlands and doesn’t have a goal or assist (none on the season) since October. If he’s on the roster, a deserving player was left off.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does seem odd they didn't schedule the tournament to try and coincide with the international window. Sounds like we could potentially be missing some guys because there's at least some overlap with European preseason. In addition to MLS players having to miss 4-6 games.

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Apologies if this thread is already known, but some good insight on the U 20s here..

TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Kristian Fletcher has the upside over Sealy. Sometimes you roll the dice with the talent.

6. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    who is that dude

Boysinblue, Winoman and Gorky repped this.
  7. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's @ussoccer97531's Twitter account.

Namdynamo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    i know...was just kidding

jeff_adams and TheFalseNine repped this.
  9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, didn't know that.

Namdynamo and TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep! I don’t think I’m outing him. I’m almost positive he announced it here on BigSoccer awhile back.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I don't have much of an opinion on Varas, and I can't speak to many of the players you mention in the thread (I don't remember the last time I saw even highlights of Elton Chifamba, for example).

That said, I agree philosophically with your point of view in general, and I find it interesting how sharp in contrast it is to a lot of general USMNT fans.

By that I mean the focus on fit, mix, assortment of skillsets and talent. I'm totally on board with this. It feels like right now we are trying to squeeze the most talent on the field, not necessarily make the best team at times.

And the lack of midfield athleticism hurt the U20 team last time.

Which is all interesting, because at the senior level, the fanbase is all about cramming the most offensive players out there possible.

asoc, ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I know some have touted the 2003s as an especially talented group. I have had my doubts and continue to have them.

The 2002s (Reyna, Musah, Busio, Bello, Scally, Tolkin) are much better.

13. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2003s : Pepi, Luna, Aaronson, Che, Gomez* and Paredes)

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    This isn't unexpected. I'd guess that Gutierezz competing more at 8, Clark at 10, and Paredes must be way ahead of Seally.

15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    There's a definitional challenge here. Strong years are often said so because of depth, but the barrier to impact of a rapidly improving national team is massively high, which means that Reyna+Musah are going to create more national team value than many classes.

But while upside is usually taken into account, so much is about high quality depth.

Reality is that we need to wait a few years on both these groups.

16. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Almost half the team could end up being 04s and 05s. What does that say about the quality and depth of the 03s.

04s and 05s with a good chance of making the team: Brady, Wiley, Henry, Craig, Vargas, Pukstas, Fletcher, Sullivan. Some others with more of an outside shot.

17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It depends -- why are the '03s not there?

Moses Nyeman - Hurt
    Jonathon Gomez - Dual National or Pro commitments
    Ricardo Pepi - Senior Team / Pro Commitment
    Kevin Paredes - Pro Commitment
    Cade Cowell - Pro Commitment
    Justin Che - Pro Commitment

I do think some of the sheen has fallen off this class in terms of overall depth, but that's six potential starters you are taking out of the equation.

We'll see. 2002 definitely has two monsters, and if we got two players the quality of Musah and Reyna per class, we'd have an amazing team even without anything else.

18. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Slonina 04 pro commitment

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisZ, SCSAutism, ussoccer97531 and 6 others repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So, guys with callups under Varas we know won't be at qualifying with the U.S. because they're not on the provisional roster and are therefore ineligible:

Castilla Juan
    Dade KyMani
    Garay Jeremy
    Greene Jacob
    Ramos Anthony
    Rodriguez Missael
    Sorensen Anthony
    Van Deventer Jayvin
    Walls Casey
    Probably safe to assume that the guys at the Mexico camp with U.S. callups (Gomez, Ordaz, Ramos) won't be there with us either. Ordaz is also eligible for El Salvador but isn't on their roster.

I know there are other U.S. eligible guys on other teams' rosters as well -- still find it interesting, and a sign of the times, that even given a 60 player list to use, which we didn't fill, nearly (not quite but whatever) a fifth of our callups so far this cycle don't seem to be options for the squad.

21. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    It is also worth noting each cycle there are couple guys who don't play in the CONCACAF qualification tournament but make the FIFA U20 roster. Brooklyn Raines seems to have some late helium. I could see him being one of those.

22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not like we need all those options just 2 weeks in advance. Unless the coach is intent to stuff them all in a small unventilated room to learn which ones have natural immunity.

23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The official CONCACAF provisional has Quembol Guadalupe as an '03. Most/all sources online (unofficial ones) have him as an '04.

NoHammiesAltidore and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Of course not, but the roster was probably chosen a couple of weeks ago or so. Anyway, I'm not saying it's some massively important thing, just a data point. There are still 50-odd guys on the list who are available to choose from. Presumably that's enough, even with all the possible complications.

butters59 repped this.
  25. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Juan agudelo’s biggest fan.