The 2023 U-17 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Dec 24, 2020.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    People are so obsessed with the concept of competition that sometimes people don't realize that lower competition but a different focus can be beneficial.

A player like Brenden Aaronson absolutely benefited by staying in MLS and more importantly, being the focal point of the offense.

You can't develop as a playmaker or a star if the team you are on puts you in a supporting role. That's my fear with what is happening with Gill at Barca -- look, he's not good enough to be a Barca midfielder (who is?) -- so let's swing him to outside back.

That makes sense for Barca, and maybe it makes sense for Gill if he only wants to hope to play for Barca. But maybe he could be a hell of a CM but will he get a chance to develop?

STR1, TheFalseNine and gomichigan24 repped this.
  2. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Absolutely true. There are two potential benefits here: one, being the focal point in the offense; second, there can be an emotional attachment/appeal to developing a player. Seattle was going to do literally everything it could to make Jordan Morris the best possible player he could be. Random Euro Team X probably wouldn't have bothered.

Some players need the nice-guy approach, some need the kick in the ass; it's foolish to lionize one over the other.

Winoman and gogorath repped this.
  3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yep.

Motivation is personal.
    Role on the team matters.
    The investment of the team in a player - financial and emotional -- matters.
    Competition matters, but it isn't the only thing.

Sebastian Soto could be knocking in goals for RSL right now and he'd likely be 100 miles ahead in his career. Instead, he's mostly not played for a bunch of teams that don't really care if he stays or goes.

Even Richie Ledezma, whose career has not gone poorly, was born a month and a half before Brenden Aaronson. Before moving to Europe, Ledezma was the star of the USYNT, and Brenden wasn't even on it. Now Brenden is on Leeds, likely to start, making bank and just had a $30M transfer.

All of this is far more dictated by the player, but Aaronson has stepped up in time, getting first team minutes, being a key offensive cog, in successive teams while Ledezma fought with a bunch of prospects for time at PSV.

Is Aaronson more talented? Certainly, his work rate is better. But I think a big part of it is Aaronson got to shine. Ledezma never got that investment.

Is Jesus Ferreira on the national team if he went to Europe. I honestly doubt it.

I think it is very personal, and player to player. But honestly, unless I was a Gio Reyna - Christian Pulisic level of talent, I'd absolutely hesitate. Honestly, in terms of players who probably developed more than expectations In Europe, there's Weston ... and ... eh? I guess Alvarado looks like a success story, maybe?

Ledezma, Sargent, Mendez, Gloster, Kayo, Llanez, Soto ... none of these guys have developed as planned. Some have -- Tim Weah went to PSG at like 15 or 16 and has done well. But even he was delayed by being at PSG and I wonder what it cost his development.

Europeans think nothing of Haaland going from Norway to Austria to Germany to England. But in the US, our fans would have been screaming for him to move to a bigger country at 16.

Progression is important.

4. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Yeah, but he would have gotten a lot of time.

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Didn't ruin JOB who was LB for Ajax and CM fot the NT.

6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Richie Ledezma call out is a bit unfair. He was beginning to break in, start, and impact matches for the PSV first team before tearing a knee ligament. He was developing as planned, potentially even better than planned, at PSV. He may even get back into their first team with how he’s currently playing now that he’s healthy again

Winoman repped this.
  7. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s very much a case by case situation with players going to Europe. Some are showing levels in their environments that signal that they need that push that you can only get overseas. Some showed flashes of talent and were snatched up by Europe a year or two too early. Some start to be the focal point at their club but never leave because they’re satisfied in MLS. It’s a complete fallacy to say development is for sure better in MLS or in Europe because it is not a one size fits all for our talent. Some players have opportunities at clubs with good pathways both in Europe and in MLS, some have harder odds in their situation

In reality, it’s a crap shoot in both MLS and Europe for who is/isn’t going to pan out. Josh Sargent for example was a player who in his u17 cycle was the clear top prospect and showing levels that was unanimously agreed by everyone to be ready for Europe. Europe seemed to agree as he had countless offers before he turned 18. Josh then chose Bremen who at the time was a very good choice, above average Bundesliga club that would be willing to give him first team minutes. After Josh’s first 6 months at Bremen everyone was extremely optimistic and it looked like an excellent situation. But what happened to Josh is something you can’t predict at a European or MLS club for a player, a new manager who comes in with a playing style that completely changed your game for the worse. Josh’s rights were owned by SKC at the time and Peter Vermes wasn’t known to be a huge advocate for playing young talent then, was SKC any more of a guarantee for success than Bremen? No, it wasn’t. Many other players both in MLS and in Europe are in both good and bad situations. Some will develop, some won’t. MLS makes things easier by having a lower level of play, but that doesn’t guarantee players pan out and become that much more ready for the European level by staying an extra year either. Players could get hurt, a new manager could come in and not rate them, tons of things outside of their control can happen. If you have a chance at Europe, and it’s at a club with a viable pathway to first team minutes, more often than not you should take it, even if MLS hasn’t turned you into the final product of your game yet

Peretz48, Pegasus, ChicagoFutbol and 2 others repped this.
  8. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    1 minute or 1000 minutes, totally useless (for the purposes of getting better) in DC's current situation.

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Sargent was brainwashed by Bremen. I still remember an appauling answer to the question how he's chosen the club "They told me the city is exactly like KC".

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO JOB!

No, but seriously, good call out. I hope it isn't an issue for Gill. But it may end up career defining for him. Whether that's in a good or bad way we may never know, but I hope Barca is taking into account more than just their immediate needs.

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Ledezma was certainly on a better path than others and definitely isn't in the same bucket.

But that said, even when he got hurt, he was getting backup minutes and spot time for just a brief period before injury with PSV. He only had about 120 first team minutes. He came back about six months ago and has gotten 38 minutes since then.

Aaronson had been starting for Philly Union for close to two years at that same time, and then he went to RB Salzburg at exactly that time was a full time starter in about six games. Aaronson had 3,600 first team minutes in two years in Philly. That's more minutes that Ledezma has played in his entire pro career -- and most of that was in essentially a youth team.

This isn't to knock Ledezma at all. Did the injury set him back? Of course. Would he have been a locked in starter for PSV without it? Tough to say.

But I expect that if Ledezma had signed with RSL, he's starting in MLS as much as Aaronson. And could have gotten a move like Aaronson.

This isn't even to say MLS is the right path for everyone. My point here is not about Europe versus MLS, it's really about playing time, about the team focus and investment, about being able to competently play a key role but still be challenged.

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Who has said anything different?

The conversation here was literally around individual fit with the club and how motivation is personal. You're knocking down a pretty tenuous straw man.

That said, please give me an example of this? This seems to be people's number one worry -- a player who needs the motivation of Europe. Who's dominating at their club but won't move?

I find most people are self-motivated. They have it or not. And I suspect that if there's any player that is like that, they are not likely to succeed in a better league because that motivation/discipline isn't there.

It's such a weird worry to me. Not that people aren't motivated -- but that the only motivation is stronger competition. I think it is far more the other way around -- a motivated person wants to challenge themselves so they move.

This just seems to be the literal ONLY thing so much of the fanbase focuses development on despite MILES of evidence that other things matter. Which was the point of my original post.

Yes, the odds suck. And we never know how much was situation and how much was player.

I don't think this is true at all, namely because Europe is a big place. There's a lot of mediocre play and chaff in "Europe." This is the kind of snobbishness I think is ridiculous. The continent is not magic.

And the idea that 16-18 year olds have any idea what a viable pathway to first team minutes is is kind of a joke. We've built a culture that "europe" is the end all, be all, and so a bunch of kids chase that status and are never heard from again.

It's a very personal decision, and the situation matters, but Europe is not magic and most of these teams have no vested interest in the free transfers they pick up. They are disposable commodities. You better be real good, and you better be real good fast. Or spend a decent number of years in purgatory.

Europe isn't magic. Playing time is magic. Go where you can really get it.

UnitedSkipper27 and gomichigan24 repped this.
  13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of the day players should go to the highest level where they can get regular first team minutes. Whether that's in Europe or MLS will depend on the player and the question of when to go over is more of an art than a science, but it is extremely difficult for a young player to get regular minutes at a top 5 European team compared to MLS.

Peretz48, gogorath and Winoman repped this.
  14. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Well, I would add "in a good team situation." So, a situation where the team is competent enough to play decent soccer -- there's no education in bunkering, really. And a situation where the coach isn't an active saboteur.

For example, Josh Sargent got nearly 1600 EPL minutes last year. Very regular minutes. I doubt anyone, even Josh Sargent, would claim that was a terribly helpful year for his development. (At best maybe it was a one-step-backward-for-two-steps-forward situation.)

15. Campeones123

Campeones123 Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Sep 2, 2021
    Invites for the next camp have gone out in the last days. Expected to be a wider camp (approximately 24-30 players) with many new faces.

Peretz48, ussoccer97531, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard once that for player development it's good to be one of the best players on a team for a year or two to learn leadership and the responsibility to carry a team but then it's important to move on to a team where you're one of the worst so that you get challenged to improve.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is some players could improve just by switching MLS teams at a young age. Carleton was playing for his home town team and a change of location to a team in Europe or another team in MLS would have knocked some of his complacency away and placed him away from his school chums. Having to make an impression for a new team and coach no matter where is a challenge a lot of these kids need.

17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that also depends on the position. It's not great for attacking players to be playing for bottom of the table teams, even if they are getting minutes. It matters less for other positions.

18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Micah Burton called up to the upcoming camp:

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing conflicting reports, but might be a possibility of Cole Campbell on the camp roster. The Icelandic-American winger who just scored 2 goals in his Dortmund U-17 debut.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bento Estrela switching allegiances, perhaps? I've seen rumors that he was called into the upcoming camp:

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Campeones123

Campeones123 Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Sep 2, 2021
    He's not on the roster I've seen.

And he isn't either.

The rosters for both 06 & 07 camps have been released to those invited.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Portugal being dominated by our U17s, has something to do with it.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. Campeones123

Campeones123 Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Sep 2, 2021
    Only 5 returning players from previous camps on this roster, rest are new faces I guess to expand the pool. I would assume the returning 5 are those the staff feel can be replaced

Boysinblue, Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Camp roster is out: https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...r-u17-mynt-training-camp-in-chula-vista-calif

Camp will be the 18th-24th. Team will train (and scrimmage) with the U-16's.

U-17 MYNT ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB; HOMETOWN) - AUGUST TRAINING CAMP

GOALKEEPERS (3): Nolan Anderson (Houston Dynamo FC; Murrieta, Calif.), Adam Beaudry (Colorado Rapids; Castle Pines, Colo.), Julian Eyestone (FC Dallas; Dallas, Texas)

DEFENDERS (7): Ezequial Abadia-Reda (Inter Miami CF; Davie, Fla.), Matai Akinmboni (D.C. United; Upper Marlboro, Md.), Dominic Bell (Orlando City SC; Orlando, Fla.), Christian Diaz (LAFC; San Bernardino, Calif.), Sawyer Jura (Portland Timbers; Bend, Ore.), Tadeo Razo Sanchez (Colorado Rapids; Denver, Colo.), Lazar Stefanovic (Toronto FC/CAN; Oakville, Canada)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Bajung Darboe (Philadelphia Union; Sun Prairie, Wisc.), Bento Estrela (New York Red Bulls; Bloomfield, N.J.), Alejandro Granados (Orlando City SC; Orlando, Fla.), Aaron Heard (St. Louis CITY SC; Fairfax, Va.), Ian Shaul (Portland Timbers; North St. Paul, Minn.), Luke Zielinksi (Philadelphia Union; Weston, Conn.)

FORWARDS (7): Brian Carmona Romero (Charlotte FC; Concord, N.C.), Andre Gitau (Houston Dynamo FC; Richmond, Texas), Bryce Jamison (Barca Academy; Atlanta, Ga.), Ruben Ramos Jr. (LA Galaxy, La Puente, Calif.), Ezekiel Soto (Houston Dynamo FC; Menifee, Calif.), David Vazquez (Philadelphia Union; Los Angeles, Calif.), Adrian Wibowo (LAFC; Los Angeles, Calif.)

Pl@ymaker, SCSAutism, Luksarus and 2 others repped this.