The 2023 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by NFLPatriot, Jan 6, 2023.

1. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Sorry I assume this has already been discussed but I just read that the MLS around mid December, reached four-year linear broadcast agreements with Fox Sports and Televisa Univision in the United States and TSN and RDS in Canada, to supplement Apple's contract.

https://theathletic.com/3998295/202...x-univision/?source=googlesearch?redirected=1

Question

Is the MLS being paid anything for these broadcasts on the traditional broadcasters...

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No terms of the deal we're released.

3. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #78 eddygee, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    I think you misread the tweet then, at least as far as I'm understanding Tannenwald's reply. Here's what he was replying to.

Someone talking about the issue that US Soccer games can't be streamed to bars via HBO MAX. The guy complaining starts talking about options US Soccer could do one was the Amazon Prime Thursday Night Football Package partnership with Direct TV. Tannenwald's response was.

I didn't post the whole thread because I thought people would get the inference. It's about US Soccer not having it set up where you can watch the games in bars like viewing parties currently HBOMax DOES NOT allow for it. Tannenwald is saying "MLS/Apple are doing this though it hasn't been said too loudly yet"

I thought that was a tasty note worthy nugget many haven't heard.

FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Spanish super cup
    Real Madrid - Valencia 110k on espn2 and 111k on espnd.
    Real Betis - Barcelona 138k on espnd and only 100k on espn2.

Now the big question is what will the rating be for the super classico on Sunday on ABC. Unfortunately we might never know because I have no idea where to get numbers for network TV.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Not US Soccer's fault" as if that wasn't a clear outcome when they were negotiating with various outlets.

One of my all-time favorite scenes in a movie comes from "Heaven Can Wait" from the late 80s. Warren Beatty's character has just purchased the Rams so he can play quarterback, which he is as the former owner and his flunky watch.

Ex-owner: My team. The son of a bitch bought my team.

Flunky: What sort of tactics did he use on you?

Ex-owner: Well, I asked for (insert millions here), and he said okay!

Flunky: Ruthless bastard!

That's USSF in this scenario. Not our fault, they made us by offering us money we then accepted.

sitruc, SetPeace, eddygee and 4 others repped this.
  6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Not wrong at all...

7. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Thanks

hate to be a pest... but two more questions...

1] Sometime in the regular season, a month has been set aside as I understand for want of a better description a world cup play off competition between MLS & Liga MX.... will any revenue flow to MLS and who will broadcast my assumption is Apple....

2] MLS is to be broadcast on Saturdays and some Wednesdays.... are the mid week Wednesday game kinda catch up weeks for the MLS V Liga MX month of matches...

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Leagues Cup, which will be July 21 to August 19, is a joint venture of MLS and LigaMX. Those leagues will be getting the revenue from it. TV coverage in the US is via Apple and the Univision family of channels in Spanish. I believe that Apple will have world-wide coverage of the games except in Mexico where domestic networks have the rights.

The Wednesday games are due to two factors: the number of weeks available for league play which is affected by Leagues Cup, international breaks which are optional for teams, and the desire to end the season before winter AND the odd number of teams in MLS this season. 29 teams means at least one team will have a bye each league weekend.

9. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    thanks heaps very much appreciated

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    * Ismitje makes fun of US Soccer for the exclusivity of the HBO Max deal preventing public gatherings.

* Also Ismitje: sends HBO Max $150 for a year's subscription so he can watch the games. USA-NZ tonight, here i come!

Dyvel and JasonMa repped this.
  12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Excited to learn what the HBO Max live sports experience will be like. Not expecting good things.

Side note: I bet HBO regrets giving up boxing to ESPN now. They need live content for HBO Max.

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    #88 crookeddy, Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    The HBO Max era of US Soccer begins in 4 minutes!

Ok it has begun! So far so good in terms of exposure - live match shows at the very top of the HBO Max website, above your 'resume watching' videos... but it doesn't work at all. Some kind of generic error. Epic fail! (This is on the website) Lets try another browser... Yes, works in Firefox, doesn't work at all in Edge... Ok not great. No start from beginning option upon opening the feed. Bad. No rewind or fast forward supported. VERY bad.

I cry. Ok I don't give two shits about the game itself, so I will return later to see how quickly the match moves to on-demand (if at all!!!)

EDIT - oh and while you can pause and resume from the same spot on browser, no such functionality on FIRE TV. FML. This streaming era is going to be a steaming pile of dogshit.

14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exclusive anymore with the Telemundo deal. I signed up for the $9.99 monthly w/ ads last night before the Spanish deal got announced this morning. Will probably cancel after a month and watch in Spanish when they're not on TBS/TNT.

SccrDon repped this.
  15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    How's the peacock live event experience? Also total shit I assume?

16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching on HBO Max. For EPL, Peacock is fine.

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Fine like... Is there a way to rewind live events at least? I know they take HOURS to move them to on-demand (at least they used to) which is total shit already.

18. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you can start from the beginning, pause/rewind. One thing about the on-demand is that all of the NBC/USA games eventually end up there, but they take a long time. I think the Peacock exclusives show up pretty quickly.

crookeddy repped this.
  19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seeing a lot of complaints on Twitter about the feed on HBO Max, but that's what I'm watching and it seems fine.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    HBO Max is fine for me as is peacock. I can pause and rewind live on peacock. I haven't tried HBO Max in a browser.

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait...people actually use the Microsoft Edge browser????

HBO Max works great in the app. Not sure what people are bitching about other than that's the culture of today.

22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    It's lacking the basic features we've come to expect from live TV since the days of Tivo.

BTW Edge browser is now built on top of Chromium(the browser engine underneath Chrome) and is a tad more stable than Chrome (but still far from stable).

Anyway, game is already up on demand, so that's decent. The on demand games seem to have lead-in, but halftime is cut out. The feed also cuts off right at the final whistle. I wouldn't expect to see trophy lifts or anything like that for cup finals. That's ok, still better than P+ that start RIGHT at kickoff and end right BEFORE the final whistle.

Overall a C+ for HBO MAX sports at this point. As for TNT - they know how to do sports, but last time they had a soccer property they managed to mess up the UCL, so not much hope for them either.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "According to the Daily Mail, Apple TV is “preparing” a bid on domestic Premier League rights, currently held by Sky Sports, BT Sport, and Amazon Prime."

Now that would be a great package. Soccer 12 hours a day when the leagues are both in season and 12 months a year.

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  24. justink

justink Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Last summer, it was reported FOX offered only $7 million.

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    #100 crookeddy, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    361k for Real Madrid vs Barca just on ESPN Deportes. Still waiting for ABC number.
    EDIT - got it. 617k on ABC, for a total just under a million. Last year's game between the two on ESPN got 328k.

Toluca vs America got 958k on Univision alone.
    Bournemouth vs Brentford got 689k (and why anyone in the USA would really want to watch this, I really don't know).
    Anyway, out of 3 matches on broadcast TV the Superclassico was the least watched, behind 2 Liga MX matches and that EPL match.

Also for the MLS has surpassed hockey crowd - Detroit vs Toronto on ESPN got 446k with a lot more spots for commercials.

AZUL GALAXY repped this.