The 2022 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Jan 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This can be solved if they make it so the 77 Leagues Cups games on certain nights are only carried by one network as to ensure viewership isn't cannibalized and rather funneled to one channel be it ESPN or Univision on the given night during the month of the tournament.

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leagues Cup will be on Apple, but probably also there will be a linear TV deal, particularly for Spanish.

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  3. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    That’s impressive.

4. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another good week for MLS on ABC.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Leagues cup in English is a complete ratings flop... 149k for the second game on main ESPN is... Yikes. However, 1.01 million for the galaxy game in Spanish, which actually would have been the highest rated MLS regular season match ever, if it was an MLS game.

6. AZUL GALAXY

AZUL GALAXY Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    I watched the games on ESPN+ in English so add 2 more and probably we were not the only ones, if you don’t know those numbers, please don’t make those statements!

HailtotheKing repped this.
  7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second game kicked off at 11:15PM EST.............

The Leagues Cup is as much, if not more, about getting the Mexican-American viewership numbers. And in turn parlaying that into more interest in MLS. It's also about bringing more eyeballs to Liga MX, which in turn will bring in more sponsors and investment in both leagues.

sitruc and HailtotheKing repped this.
  8. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    LA vs. Chivas wasn’t the best game, very much resembled a friendly. LAFC vs. America looked much more competitive, almost CCL-like. Too bad that one didn’t have the better time slot.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    You listened to twellman too much. The games were just about even in terms of intensity.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When seeing viewership numbers it's also important to consider the options available to the broadcaster. ESPN doesn't presume to get Monday Night Football ratings across the board, and sometimes the filler programming is designed to be part of a broader overall delivery strategy. Without a late night NBA game, for instance, that viewership might be 20k more than other things available at that date and time.

I'm not saying the ratings are great and I'd love for them to be better, but they can't be viewed in isolation, either.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using BigSoccer mobile app

HailtotheKing and jaykoz3 repped this.
  11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nah, Galaxy game was lethargic.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Second half was I guess...

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    All Star Game: ESPN: 334k, Univision + TUDN 1.2 million

So pretty bad for primetime on ESPN, and super duper good for Univision. I can see why they are considering scrapping the format - ESPN might be complaining.

Where is Leagues Cup going next season? Is it moving to Apple?

14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leagues Cup is on Apple, included with the MLS package. My guess is that when we get word of a linear TV deal for Spanish, it will include a lot of Leagues Cup.

15. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why are they scrapping the format if it's doing good?

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Maybe ESPN is complaining, or maybe they just think they already tapped into the Mexican audience enough with leagues cup and are now free to use the asg to tap into a different audience.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2018 947,000 combined
    2019 808,000 combined
    2021 All-Star game averaged 1.4 million on Unimas and 180,000 on ESPN.

Why would they scrap the format?

TheJoeGreene and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I don't know, ask the Don. During halftime he hinted pretty strongly that this format is done.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was part of the negotiations for the Leagues Cup. One less game for the best of Liga MX.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Mexican TV ratings weren't great knowing Mexico is becoming a nation of chokers ;)

I'm talking about the soccer teams.

21. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    #1246 RfrancisR, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    The total audience 1772k for the all star game. ESPN is low but up significantly from FS1 last year

1199k Univision.
    239k TUDN
    334k ESPN

Source: https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/...2-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  22. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the linear TV deal is being negotiated but I have noticed that the ratings for games do much better on free tv as the last two weeks games on ABC did over 500K. If they fell though or the deal is short I wonder if this could be an alternative? The CW was just brought by Nextstar and since MLS will take over the production of the broadcast maybe they could do a deal with them in the future. The positives would be the largest free TV network affiliation without live national sports on it. No more the game in progress will start after this event ends.
    https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/nexstar-acquire-75-cw-network-2022-08-15/

STR1 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  23. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #1248 TheJoeGreene, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    The CW overall aims at a much younger demographic in their programming so it might be a good fit. The problem I've noticed is most of the streaming "cable" services like Fubo and YouTube TV don't always carry local CW channels in their programming packages. I would be watching OTA myself, but I know quite a few people who use a streaming service and don't have an antenna.

There's an interesting tidbit in this Axios article on the deal:

So their plan is sports, news, and weather, and I'm really not aware of any sports that the CW carries unless there are some local deals.

On top of that, the new owners are already targeting older viewers:

wantmlsphilly repped this.
  24. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in a relatively populated place with zero OTA television channels. So I am one of those people (I actually do have an antenna... which is how I found out there are no channels).

We do have 5G phone service and very high speed fiber, though, oddly.

WarrenWallace and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    BOURNEMOUTH/MANCHESTER CITY 427k on USA as the move from NBCSN to USA is a successful one for the EPL. This beat America vs Pumas on TUDN, but I don't have a Univision number. EPL vs Liga MX remain neck in neck for the "most popular league" in the USA award.