The 2022 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Jan 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apple is paying for the full gamut of MLS matches, while ESPN and Fox are bidding for essentially 1 game per week each. Per your scenario, for MLS to have to settle for a 90% drop in the valuation of their entire catalog would imply pro soccer in the States isn't viable. In which case we would all be forced to migrate to BigFishPuns.com.

eddygee, sitruc, Chesco United and 6 others repped this.
  2. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Isn’t this the $100 billion question?

RSNs are the heart of local sports TV distribution. People watch their home teams on them.

This question has to be asked in terms of the broader pay TV market. Bundled vs. a la carte. How many people will pay separate fees for just the RSN, and will doing so raise or lower end user total cost? I may be paying more for each channel/streamer, but I will likely buy fewer of them.

The alternative, which seems to be happening is the streamer becomes a mini-bundle itself. Apple, Paramount+ and Peacock seem to be going this route. Disney is taking a different tack with Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+… maybe a little closer to a la carte. Each package has a different focus.

Another aspect is some RSNs have very long term contracts with local teams, or the team has ownership stakes in the RSN.

And then there is Sinclair with their streaming proposal.

3. BookerT

BookerT Member

Mar 27, 2007
    NC
    FYP

Dyvel, GunnerJacket, SetPeace and 5 others repped this.
  4. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ESPN+ just took over 30 minutes to get audio working on the 2. Bundesliga match between Dusseldorf and Paderborn. They didn't get video working until after the 1st goal of the match was scored. Apple+ is a gamble, but ESPN+ is a service that is both raising prices and getting much worse over time.

Edit: Just as I hit enter the entire feed went down again.

5. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1205 eddygee, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    I was just going to say that but seems Forbes has a axe to grind. They kept putting out those BS valuation numbers year after year until Sportico came into business and starting putting out valuations for Sports that were more in line with reality. You can tell alot of Forbes inside sources are just placed old school execs in the old Big 4 that place little value on MLS. How else do you explain continuing to low ball valuation figures year after year. That or maybe Forbes valuations are the biggest con in sports.

The key thing they seem to miss is I don't care how or what your formula says something is worth. Value derives from what someone is willing to pay aka the going market rate. They've failed historically to add that into things when they do Sports valuations for leagues like MLS the very last of the BIg 5 they value ratio of that aspect is virtually non existent. Billionaires until a giant rock from space ends us all like being in the exclusive club.

There are only so many Major Professional Sports teams in those 5 Leagues you can buy for billions to a cpl hundreds millions. It seems weird but they brag about that type of asset purchase its elusive to 99.9% of the public. "Hey you know that one thing well guess what I bought it yup I own it. Yeah it cost me about $350m-3.5b$ but I wanted to expand my portfolio"
    "Oh yeah I heard you bought that little upstart team in that league whats it called again? For a few mil"
    You can never underestimate that aspect of brag among the elusive club of the uber rich. Those Travel Channel Yacht shows are something else.

6. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Talks about MLS Apple Deal about 11 min in. Good discussions here whole video.

Westside Cosmo and wantmlsphilly repped this.
  7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Some friendlies:
    Chelsea vs Club America 262k on TUDN and it was also on Univision for which I don't have the number
    Pumas vs Celta Vigo 156k on TUDN
    Juventus vs Chivas 150k on Fox Deportes
    Real Madrid vs Barcelona 440k on Fox Deportes (!!!) 170k on FS2
    Manchester City vs Bayern 317k on ESPN 69k on EESPN Deportes, but that one was hurt by weather delays

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  8. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the Central/South American Eurosnob Super Bowl every time it's played, regardless of whether there are any stakes at all.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah, probably would've seen multiple millions on Univision.

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the best rivalries in the world should be on the top of any football fan’s list. Like River/Boca, city/United, Bayern/Dortmund. No snobbery necessary.

11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I’d watch, but any friendly is not top of my list if a decent competitive game is available.

12. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agree !!! one thing is Patriots vs Green Bay in preseason rather than in the Super Bowl.

An Unpaved Road repped this.
  13. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always love to see the packers lose so I’d watch it

RafaLarios repped this.
  14. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty decent numbers for a late game and an over the air broadcast.

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah but to a Eurosnob, the analogy would be a preseason NFL game vs a regular season XFL game - most would go with the NFL game.

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Some more friendlies:

Barcelona vs Juventus on FS2 172k
    Real Madrid vs Club America on Fox Deportes 100k and 103k on FS2
    Real Madrid vs Juventus 150k on Fox Deportes

Women's Euro final 885k

17. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    ESPN+ went down during the WEURO final. Periodically lost sound during the match.
    I missed seeing RBNY have a meltdown last night because I don't have cable anymore and I couldn't watch it online. I live 3 hours north of RBA and I'm still blacked out. The Apple deal says no blackouts so I'm good with that. I welcome our Cupertino overlords.

Stupid_American and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  18. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I suspected as much for Minnesota vs. Portland. Perfect game for those to watch who might not usually go for soccer.

19. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So over 71,000 in the stadium for a Leagues Cup Showcase in Los Angeles and both games on ESPN. Say what you want but that's some kind of revenue they brought in last night. The atmosphere was definitely impressive for meaningless games. I wonder what kind of number they do for the ratings? One of the interesting tweets I read was how fans of one team would cheer for the opposite teams rival.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yup, that has happened before in front of an even bigger crowd at the Coliseum. MASSIVE roar from Club America when Donovan scored his penalty against Chivas USA.

BTW that game drew 88k, and people who were not aware of how to get to the Coliseum literally missed BOTH games of the doubleheader in traffic.

wantmlsphilly repped this.
  21. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AZUL GALAXY and RfrancisR repped this.
  22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Leagues cup friendly straight up getting MLS cup level numbers. And this is why it's a big deal.

Very concerning for the English language broadcasts though - those ratings are horrible.

23. AZUL GALAXY

AZUL GALAXY Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    is ESPN+ included in ESPN ?

24. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club: