The 2021 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Peretz48, Mar 18, 2019.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cowell is like Pepi, a U-20 for 2023 as well. Pepi would have had a better chance given the uncertainty in depth at the position.

I think for Cowell, there tougher better competition on the wings. De la Fuente, Harper, Llanez. To play up a cycle, you have to be really good and play a position that is thin among the normal age players of the cycle. I don't get the sense Cowell checks those boxes for 2021.

2. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are always some guys that end up injured or unfit like Llanez with Olympic qualifying, so I think that would have taken care of some of the calls at the margins where it would have been hard to narrow down the strikers and wingers if everyone was fit.

Also, the U20 tournament would have been in May 2021. It would been very unlikely to have a player play at both the U20s and the Olympics (if we qualify) so that would have raised some interesting issues with Araujo, Bello, Reynolds, Johnny, Llanez, and Hoppe. They would be in consideration for the Olympics if releases can be worked out with their clubs and some would have been needed for the Olympics. If Roma does not committ to releasing Reynolds, would have put him on the U20 team and saved Araujo for the Olympics?

3. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not biased and think Ricardo Pepi makes the roster. I just think he’s a better player than Charlie Kelman with way more upside

Cade Cowell didn’t have much of a shot for the u20’s in my opinion. Uly, Konrad, and Harper are head and shoulders above the rest. With that being said Cade is a lock for the 2023 u20’s though.

Balerion repped this.
  4. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How will Dallas split time with Pepi and Ferriera at the 9? Good problems to have I guess, but would be great if they could both breakout in the scoring column this year.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Two striker formation.

6. JimLahey

JimLahey Member

Sheffield Wednesday
    United States
    Dec 25, 2020
    Patrick Weah has received his US citizenship today!

eliwood, SCSAutism, STR1 and 5 others repped this.
  7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Weah?

JimLahey repped this.
  8. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

10. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points, @bshredder and @Clint Eastwood . I based my hypothetical roster more on who I would have selected vs. anticipating the coach's decisions. I agree that Anthony Hudson likely would have favored Cameron Harper, and Kelman vs. Pepi was a 50/50 decision for me. I just think Kelman has proven a bit more at the club level as of now, so would optimize for making a deep run in the tournament. But Pepi is definitely a superior prospect and the fact that he's a dual-national would have made him a pragmatic selection for the program.

Cade Cowell is definitely an interesting prospect. He looked promising in limited minutes in MLS last season, but the wing depth on this squad (Llanez, de la Fuente) is strong, and I think Caden Clark is without a doubt "just a little bit ahead of him" (as Jurgen Klinsmann would say :)).

MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.
  11. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Who is the coach for the U20?

12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anthony Hudson but with the cycle being over who knows

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    In a Federation that hired Jason Kreis, Anthony Hudson was the worst hire they’ve made.

Then again, he has international success.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Hudson is also the best hire they have because do we even have any other employed YNT coaches at this point?

Thundering165 repped this.
  15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think so. I've seen another name.

National Youth Coaches are not people with strong resumes, generally.

16. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    I dunno...Gonzalo Pineda was and is a more interesting quantity than Hudson.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalo Segares is the current u17 YNT head coach. Just hasn’t been publicly announced because he didn’t get to have any actual camps with the 04’s

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Do any of these guys have confirmed pro contracts that we know of?

Benalcazar Nico
    Boateng Kwabena
    Pierre Kurowskybob "Bobby"
    Ritchie Stuart
    Schulte Patrick
    Stojanovic Stefan​

19. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None yet. Nico still has a good chance at becoming a homegrown

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/the-2021-u-s-u-20-world-cup-team-what-could-have-been

Good article from one of the Godfather’s of YNT fandom @bshredder

Like he mentioned, this u20 team would’ve gone as far as Owen Otasowie and Leo Sepulveda let them. This team was going to be solid in possession and creating offensive chances but shaky defensively

I think the 2019 team was better overall but this 2021 group is still very good. In 2019 we had a very week core age group in the 1999’s with a very strong supporting age group in the 2000’s carry the team. For this cycle the 2001’s were excellent while the 2002’s were very weak. For 2023 it will be pretty similar to 2021 with a strong 2003 class and a weak 2004 group

xbhaskarx and largegarlic repped this.
  21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    When we don't get rosters to debate, we're left with ... extremely hypothetical third GK controversies.

Can U.S. Soccer just publish a list of a couple dozen names or something? Just look at what we've become...

;)

xbhaskarx repped this.
  23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that really a fair comparison considering Las isn't age eligible for the U18s? And what indicates Borto is actually any good? As far as I can tell, he's just another kid with a European passport who was able to get to Europe early rather than being a highly coveted prospect.

Thundering165 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Has anyone actually seen Borto play to vouch that he’s good? I see all this praise for him, but is it deserved? I don’t think I’ve seen one review of his game. I remember Luca Lewis got a lot of this same praise based on how he was doing in youth games nobody was watching, and now we see in USL that he’s a generic keeper. He was never a real YNT player, like some suggested he should be. Could it be the same for Borto?

Las has a prior track record. We know his skillset. He had an injury that cost him the end of 2020 and beginning of 2021. When he returned, he went out on loan. He was starting over Borto before he got injured. Why would anyone think U-18 soccer is a higher level than USL L1?

xbhaskarx and TarHeels17 repped this.
  25. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like to think that the actual camps -- what players do and don't do well in the eyes of coaches - matter for better or worse. If Che impresses, he'll get fast tracked. On the other hand, there are those rumors of friction with Holmes during a camp and he doesn't get called in.