The 2021 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Peretz48, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Wouldn't a Mexican-American be ... Mexican, as well as American?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    By ancestry yes, in order to play in (or for) Mexico, players need paperwork unless we are talking about "friendlies".

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I admit I can't speak knowledgeably about the passport status of the various Mexican-Americans who have appeared for Mexico in friendly matches. Perhaps you can.

Even so, that still feels different than playing a guy in Nyeman's situation.

In any case, assuming he was not a citizen in November 2019, I guess the message is the same: It apparently doesn't matter.

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    In his case probably "yes". Goff would have reported it.

gogorath repped this.
  5. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    Correct. It doesn't matter. LA Galaxy/LAFC players (Alvarez comes to mind) first participated with the Mexican YNT in friendlies w/out having a Mexican passport. This is perfectly okay; however under Mexican law (including FIFA sanctioned competitions), Efra wouldn't have been able to either play in/for Mexico YNT in a non-friendly without a law-abiding documentation.

That seems to be last known Nyeman's situation. He's Liberian-American but I admit, I don't know squat about Liberian laws, maybe they allow dual citizenship like Mexico or maybe not...George Weah would know or perhaps he can legislate to change it however it is now.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Hold up a sec. Isn't the whole point of the conversation up to this point that we don't actually know if Nyeman is a U.S. citizen yet? Are you saying that you're certain that he is and the issue is soccer-related eligibility questions, not actual citizenship questions?

7. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    Good one. Take for example Nico Carrera, he called himself (interviews), Mexican-American even before he officially became a US citizen just because he lived in America. I really have no idea about the true/PC meaning of being Mexican-American.

Under that premise -right or wrong-, Nyeman could be Liberian-American. Maybe I shouldn't have called him that. I have zero idea about his status. I DO know that the pandemic further slowed down an already-inefficient activity of processing visas, citizenship paperwork so I doubt anything changed from December to March of 2020 or even now.

8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Steven Goff is going to be your best bet.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going by how long it took for Ferreira to get his citizenship only believe it when you hear it from a reputable source or the player themselves. I was able to get a journalist to ask the question so you out in DCland might be able to suggest that to your guys.

10. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I’ve heard, Moses still is 1-2 years out for his citizenship. He shouldn’t be a part of the u20’s for that and because he isn’t good enough to displace the guys ahead of him while playing up a cycle. Assuming Moses doesn’t jump to Europe when he turns 18 he will be able to become a citizen for the 2023 cycle

For this cycle this is my current dream team, starters listed first in each spot

GK: Ochoa, Las, Odunze
    - no reason to say why Ochoa has been pushed out yet. If you can cite play then good for you, please send me the film of where Ochoa isn’t good enough and where someone is better than him

RB: Julian Araujo, Bryan Reynolds
    Julian is the starter and is a right back like it or not. No one is taking this spot from him and he himself prefers to play right back. Bryan has earned the spot as the backup, I’ve been super skeptical of his game but can’t deny him the spot
    RCB: Owen Otasowie, Jacob Akanyirige
    Owen Otasowie is a lock starter, the backup is a complete toss up

LCB: Bryan Okoh, Leo Sepulveda
    Bryan Okoh is easily good enough to start while playing up a cycle and no one can convince me otherwise. The only way he isn’t on the roster is if he personally chooses not to be. Leo is the second best LCB and is a fine backup

LB: KHF, George Bello
    Kobe worries me because Wolfsburg may be moving him to be a 6 but for the u20’s he is our best left back. George Bello has shown that he’s made improvements to his game and deserves the backup spot. Jonathan Gomez isn’t good enough yet for the u20’s even though he’ll likely surpass both over time

DM: Johnny Cardoso, Gianluca Busio
    Johnny is the starter and our best 6. Busio has shown that he is a significantly better 6 than a 10/winger and realistically has played himself into the roster

CM: Tanner Tessmann, Taylor Booth
    Tanner is our best 8, Booth is our second best and it’s as simple as that. Booth could get pushed out by Cole Bassett who is a favorite of Anthony Hudson

AM: Jose Gallegos, Caden Clark
    Jose is an obvious one here, kid has game. Caden should also be pretty obvious, unless we move Gio to the 10 who else can push Caden out? No one

Winger: Gio Reyna, Uly Llanez, KDLF
    Gio and Uly are the starters. Gio is a better winger than he is a 10 and doesn’t quite have the vision to be a 10 long term and his ability to win 1v1 and drive past players is why he’s an elite winger. Uly is better than Konrad and is a perfect left winger and should be used as such. Konrad is a perfect backup winger who realistically could be just as good of a starter if we push Gio to the 10

ST: Ricardo Pepi, Charlie Kelman
    Ricardo Pepi is the clear starter, no debate. After that it’s up in air.

Patrick167 and gogorath repped this.
  11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    This was the main reason I celebrated a bit when he signed with DC United. :)

dougtee repped this.
  12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    oof too soon

gogorath repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I haven't seen or heard any update. I think most assume he still doesn't have it, but the last update was a year ago and it was said that he was close to citizenship. I'm not convinced the soccer media in this country would've done great investigative journalism to figure out if he got it. There's no way we would've known it from USYNT call ups either, given the lack of games.

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm now on the record predicting that the 2021 U17 and U20 cycles will be completely cancelled by FIFA and governing bodies.

We are now half a year from when the 2021 U20 World Cup is scheduled. Time is flying.

1) COVID is moving in the wrong direction around the world
    2) There are currently no teams that have qualified for the event other than the host Indonesia.

Who's up for travelling to Indonesia any time soon? They currently have the worst COVID situation in SE Asia.

I don't know when FIFA is going to have to make this difficult decision, but it will probably be soon. Right now a number of the federations don't have qualifiers even on the calendar, and that includes CONCACAF. The Euro U19 qualifiers are scheduled for March in Northern Ireland (although the details aren't known). They've completely changed the format to straight knockout to minimize games.

btlove and DeweyEvans repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    In that case, congratulations to Indonesia, the only team to qualify and, thus, your 2021 FIFA U20 champion!

majspike, USSoccerNova, Scotty and 5 others repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Eeek. The midfield options are numerous.
    1316792157609627648 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aidan Morris supposedly played really well again last night. He's the type of d-mid I like. Ball-winner, bulldog, w/ some evasion abilities on the ball, & can outlet.

He's on the radar now. It's a little early right now to put him on the roster. I know @charlie kennan said no order.

ATM, I think I'd have Clark, Gallegos, Kayo, Bassett, Busio, Tessmann. But it's a very fluid situation. The prospects for the squad have improved & hopefully it keeps materializing that way.

Incidentally, don't think Gallegos is a lock starter, like Kennan. Actually, Clark has to have surpassed him. He was more productive at the same level for a much worse team. And he's off to a great start at a level up.

Patrick167 and charlie kennan repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's interesting.
    We started seeing MLS clubs refuse to release players to USYNTs last year (Atlanta was the highest profile).

It would not surprise me if the players at the top of the food chain aren't just released from Europe (Reyna is the obvious one), but aren't released from MLS either. Particularly during this COVID period. Clubs may not risk the health of their players by releasing to a tournament they don't have to release to. We saw the pissing contest that arose during this October window.

So its great that we build up this depth. Depth, depth, depth. We're going to need it.................should this qualifying tournament happen. I have serious doubts about the whole thing.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, this is a big reach. But it’s time to fire up the Yunus Musah u20 hype train. It’s not at all realistic but it would be incredible if it happened

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call him up to persuade him to switch and then cap tie him in qualifying just to demote him to the U20s, it's perfect.

gogorath repped this.
  22. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd be a guarenteed USMNT starter for me but if we brought a full strength u20 lineup we'd win the whole thing. Especially now that Santiago Munoz reportedly wants to switch to USA

Imagine this lineup
    David Ochoa/Chituru Odunze
    Julian Araujo
    Owen Otwasowie
    Bryan Okoh/Leo Sepulveda
    Kobe Hernandez-Foster
    Johnny Cardoso
    Yunus Musah
    Gio Reyna
    Uly Llanez
    Konrad De La Fuente
    Folarin Balogun/Santiago Munoz

We would walk to the title

Luksarus and USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    David, where was that reported?

24. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go check twitter. Munoz said it in an interview

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm here right now b/c I'm trying to avoid twitter till the polls close!

kba4life1 and Thundering165 repped this.