The 2021 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Peretz48, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we are never going to live in a world where every single youth player who signed a HG contract is going feel wanted. Only so many minutes to go around and plenty of players will be left out.

2. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    Maybe I'm living in a parallel universe but all current Dallas HGs seem happy under Luchi. That could quickly change but ALL have been given a fair chance; that was never the case under Pareja.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You can't make EVERYBODY happy all the time.

You also have to balance first team priorities with developmental priorities. FCD was legitimately gunning for the CCL title under Pareja (they ended up giving Pachuca all they could handle in the semifinal). So the coaching staff decided to "go for it" as opposed to giving youngsters minutes. That includes youngsters that are now high profile like Cannon.

This team under Luchi has no such ambitions at the moment.

I will say this. Year after year after year the kids seem to come right out of academies at many clubs that are ready to contribute right away. Tanner Tessman is an example at Dallas, but there are others around the league. So yes................in the past maybe players like Coy Craft, Danny Garcia, Jonathan Top, whomever.........may not have been happy that they weren't given a chance. Those players didn't have the quality of a youngster like Ricardo Pepi. Not close.

So when we say Coach X in MLS circa 2015 didn't give young players a chance, I'm mindful of the fact that many of those players weren't as ready for a role as they are now. And there weren't reserve teams for them to develop in. The early adopters of USL teams like NYRB and RSL reaped the rewards.

But anyway, my point about Almeyda is that he does seem to have a plan. That plan does seem to include player/youth development. And he does seem to have a presence that folks gravitate to. I'm hopeful with what I'm seeing in San Jose. I'm also hopeful about the future of Sacramento.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I haven't given my best 20 for qualifying in over six months, so I'm going to update my thinking. I don't know when qualifying is, but I'll operate as if its early 2021. I'm going to try to keep this semi-realistic. That starts with Reyna not being an option for this team in qualifying for the U-20 WC.

GK: Ochoa, Las
    DF: Scally, Araujo, Otasowie, Akanyirige, KHF, Gomez
    MF: Booth, Tessman, Atencio, Bassett, Gallegos, Nyeman, KDLF, Llanez, Harper
    FW: Pepi, Kelman, Hoppe

Just missed: Wilson (GK), Campbell (CB), Bello (LB), Sousa (LB), Johnny Cardoso (DM), Duke (CM), Hoffmann (RB/CM), Dunbar (Wing), Milijevic (AM/Wing), Vassilev (FW), Ocampo-Chavez (FW)

Keepers is pretty easy for now. It would be harder to pick if Ochoa wasn't a returning player, but he is. Wilson is added once we qualify. I don't see much competition at RB. I don't like any of the natural RB's, aside from Scally, and he might not even be a RB. I don't like the CB's either. Akanyirige is there as a back up because he can play both positions well enough as a back up with athleticism. A less versatile option for a back up CB might be George Campbell. LB may be hard to pick. I think there are a lot of very good options, but the more time goes by, I think KHF and Gomez are starting to distance themselves. Any slip ups, and I can see Bello or Sousa making the team. I don't think they're bad options.

The first three CM options remain unchanged. I find it hard to believe anyone's breaking into that starting CM. Being realistic, Bassett will be there because Hudson is the coach. I don't know if he's on the team without that, but I don't think he's a terrible option as a well-rounded #8. A player like Cameron Duke probably takes his spot otherwise. The tiebreaker for back up #6 probably goes to Atencio's versatility over Cardoso to play CB. We can always use another player who can play that position on a small roster. I couldn't find a place for Ian Hoffmann, but I like his versatility. First two wingers is easy to pick. Third is a little more difficult. I wanted to find a place for Dunbar, but couldn't. I like Harper's end-product more. I wanted two players who can play as a #10. I think Nyeman needs to be there in some capacity, considering there are no clear better options.

I would consider Dunbar over Gallegos to take an extra pure winger because I'd want Dunbar on the team, but Gallegos has versatility to also play as a #10, and I want someone who has that versatility. Matko Milijevic is probably a main alternative for the Gallegos role, but I like Gallegos better. I don't think the striker options are too good. I don't like what I've seen of Pepi when he plays up age groups. The adjustment takes a while for him, but do we have better options? I don't think we do. We'll have to live with it. Hoppe is another I'm unsure about, but the alternatives aren't better. Hopefully he scores more this season. Kelman edges AOC for now. Do we even know what's wrong with AOC? Kelman had a pretty decent season. Vassilev can be another option for a similar type of role to those guys, but I am admittedly not a big fan.

5. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    Fair point but it's a chicken and egg problem. When Dallas was eliminated from CCL, Cannon still only received 8 minutes the entire season. Was he better than Grana? We'll never know. We do know the Dallas front office had close connections with the agency that landed Grana in Frisco.

The same could be said about Servania, Jesus, etc. Those players were sent to USL sides and rarely given first team opportunities. Would Pareja had given Cerrillo, Tessman regular minutes? Luchi did.

To your point, it's hard to keep everyone happy all the time. Right now, everyone is but it may be because they are not playing. More to come from the Roberts-Luchi relationship soon.

I'm also hopeful of Almeyda. He did okay with Chivas but ultimately ended up in bad terms with the former CEO.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think we do know that Cannon was better than Grana. :)
    But with the playoffs slipping out of their grasp, Pareja relied on the veterans instead of the kids. A fateful decision.

But we're getting off topic.......................

Roberts is one that I think is just lost in the shuffle at the moment.
    I don't know how they get him playing time if everybody is healthy and available.

7. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Could they loan him to BM to play for BM II? It's not the highest level in the world but it's a professional league, would give him a chance to start learning German and means he's not lost in the shuffle at FCD. If they're not overflowing in cm's ready for that level, BM could do FCD a huge favor.

8. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    The plan was to find him a team other than BMII in Germany where he has realistic chances of making the first team. We all know BMII is more of a dead end than Dallas.

Unless Roberts finds a way to earn minutes for the rest of the MLS season, I see him playing down with North Texas again and then making one last "visit" to Munich in the fall with some surprise academy guests. From the practices I have watched, he's staying with North Texas.

9. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    mandatory read

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Good interview by @bshredder.

We can judge Hudson by the product on the field, but his interviews I've read have not relieved some of the main questions I had about his appointment.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

SCSAutism, Winoman and largegarlic repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know when qualifying will be, but this would be my team. I'll get to the contingencies afterwards. I know all these players won't be available.

GK: Ochoa, Las
    DF: Scally, Araujo, Otasowie, Akanyirige, KHF, Gomez
    MF: Booth, Tessman, Johnny, Bassett, Nyeman, Reyna, KDLF, Llanez, Harper
    FW: Pepi, AOC, Hoppe

Best XI:

Las
    Scally-Araujo-Otasowie-KHF
    Booth-Tessman
    Reyna
    KDLF-Pepi-Llanez

Just Missed: Wilson (GK), Reynolds (RB), Campbell (CB), Bello (LB), Atencio (DM/CB), Busio (DM/CM), Duke (CM), Gallegos (AM/Wing), Milijevic (AM/Wing), Dunbar (Wing), Kelman (FW)

I'm really close to saying that Ochoa doesn't even deserve to be on the qualifying team. I do not think he's a top 2 goalie, but I think its close enough to not cause any issues. Based on what I've recently seen of Ochoa, I'm getting close to saying its not close enough between Ochoa and Wilson to say you bring Ochoa. For now, I'll keep Ochoa in this spot.

Defense remains unchanged from the last time. Reynolds could make a push at RB, but I prefer Scally, despite Reynolds playing more in MLS. Bello (and players like Farnsworth, Sousa, Flach) could make a push at LB, but I feel like KHF is the best LB, and we cannot give Mexico a chance to cap-tie Gomez. Campbell isn't a great option, but if we need another pure CB, he's the next best pure CB.

Only one change in the midfield. I've moved Johnny into the squad above Atencio. I prefer Atencio's versatility to play CB, but Johnny is now proving himself for a good team in the Brazilian league. I think he's earned a slot. I'm not a huge Busio fan, but he's having success in MLS, so he has some chance to make the team, as well. Duke is an option for a ball-carrying #8, who can also play a few other positions, but I don't see him as being all that close to making the best team.

Only change in the attacking midfield is that I'm going to list Reyna for now. I didn't list him the last time because he won't be on the team. Gallegos would miss out, but Reyna won't be there when qualifying is played. Only change to the strikers is I've added AOC instead of Kelman. Too much uncertainty with Kelman's club situation for now. Ocampo-Chavez looked good in some recent USL games I've seen him play. Sounders are mismanaging him, like their other HGP's IMO.

Some additional options in attack would be Milijevic and Dunbar. I know Milijevic has a lot of pixie-dust surrounding him because he plays in Argentina, he's eligible for USA, Argentina, and Croatia, and all three YNT's have interest, but I don't know that he's better than the current options. Dunbar would give us another pure winger option, but this roster wouldn't need that.

Won't be available: Reyna
    Probably won't be availability: Llanez, KDLF
    Unknown availability: Araujo, Booth, Cardoso

Reyna replacement: Gallegos
    Llanez/KDLF replacement (first player added): Dunbar
    Llanez/KDLF replacement #2 (second player added): Milijevic (or Kelman)
    Araujo replacement: Reynolds (move Scally to CB)
    Booth/Cardoso replacement (first player added): Atencio
    Booth/Cardoso replacement #2 (second player added: I'd first make sure Reynolds and Atencio are already on the team. We can make formation/position adjustments. If they are, I'd add Duke or Busio.

Luksarus, Patrick167 and largegarlic repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Has there been any discussion of the timing of the qualifying tournament?

14. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    What’s the deal with Cam Harper? Made the bench a few times and then it’s been crickets since then

15. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Caden Clark?

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #891 thedukeofsoccer, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Bello, Clark, Busio, & Reynolds will be on the roster, if healthy.

- Bello is already a solid MLS lb w/ upside.
    - Clark is on a rapid trajectory thru NYRB to Leipzig. May start over Gallegos.
    - FCD hasn't missed a beat w/ Reynolds.
    - Busio has shown improvement this season. If he has issues, it won't be v. kids.

Gomez is 1 of those age tweeners who gets left off for kids he'll probably be better than in the future. Also this is bizarro world where lb is our strongest position.

Paredes is on the young side, but the team will probably need wingers, just like the u-17's did.

Nyeman is too young & there's quality ahead of him at cm.

I'd argue Cuevas was better than Scally w/ the u-17's. Since has proven more as a pro. 1 of the best American teens in USL. He's also versatile. So I'd try to find a place for him. Either he signs w/ LAG or goes to Europe.

CB is wide open, outside Otasowie. Some of the top usl cb's like Neal or Sargis could be there. Carrera, if he moves quick at Holstein-Kiel. Same w/ Gray at NYCFC. Maybe Scally, if that's BMG's plan. Akanyirige had a bright performance for SJ. Sepulveda is a ball-playing option. Atencio is an option, if he plays some there for Seattle. Campbell's lurking Ultimately may be a player out of position again, i.e. Araujo.

GK is similar to cb behind Ochoa. Brooks Thompson looks like he's had a strong season w/ SKC2. Cervantes in usl too & on way to Rangers. Odunze has the tools. Las w/ the rep. There's a couple really young keepers, like Slonina & Emmings (if they flip him) on MLS benches. May be about opportunities.

Patrick167, STR1 and bballshawn repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Gioacchini is an ‘00.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was being projected onto some rosters. Then Pepi would be the fave to start. Kelman is in the mix if he gets a good loan. Jackson Conway is up there. He should be promoted to Atlanta soon. You wonder if cf is a way Cowell could make the roster up a cycle.

19. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Conway has never impressed me to be honest, but he might be needed as a depth option. Pepi is locked in if he’s available. It’s looking like Kelman will move to QPR which makes his situation extremely murky.

20. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
  21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People are assuming that Nyeman will get US citizenship very soon, but for now he is not eligible for the USYNTs as far as I know.

22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    characterizing him as being 'thrown into the deep end' of a league considerably worse than mls by a club that was considerably worse than the best one in hungary is really kind of absurd. i guess this kid grew up a celtic fan but sheesh they seem to have an outsized opinion of themselves and their league.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    While true, the last update we had was about a year ago.

Are we expecting that once he's eligible there will be some official update from US Soccer, DC United, or a reporter?

It's certainly conceivable that he could've received it in the last year and we wouldn't know. All we've heard was that he was close to citizenship. That was from a year ago. We don't know exactly what that means, but if it was true, it's not unlikely that he could've received his citizenship in the last year. I don't actually think we can be sure that we'd know if that happened, especially in a year where YNT's are not active and his eligibility for the USMNT or USYNT's would be irrelevant.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I also still don't understand why, if Nyeman was not a citizen, U.S. Soccer played him in international matches in last year's Nike Friendlies; I'm guessing that anything at this level that isn't part of a FIFA- or CONCACAF-sanctioned competition is basically a glorified scrimmage, so it doesn't technically "matter," though it still seems kind of odd. It's not like there aren't other ways to get guys whose citizenship is under way involved in the program.

25. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    He played in international friendlies prior to that. It's very customary to do this. Mexico does it all the time with Mexican-Americans.