The 2021 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Jan 14, 2021.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    . Yes there has....in past seasons there most certainly has.

crookeddy repped this.
  2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Correct. Rarely, but there has.

3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FS2 has mainly been when an a preceding event on FS1 goes long.

TheJoeGreene and FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  4. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Thanks

eddygee repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to give Garber & co some credit here. Going into contract negotiations headlines are suggesting a massive increase in TV audiences. Normally at this point in the season WST are publishing stories about how badly MLS is doing compared to other leagues.

Those of us who follow MLS TV ratings know why the audiences are increasing but that's just a detail in the bigger scheme of things.

HailtotheKing, AZUL GALAXY and eddygee repped this.
  6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Why are they increasing?

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ABC and Fox.

eddygee repped this.
  8. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's what I thought there have been no outright this game is scheduled on FS2 since. I firmly remember Don Garber and MLS being against any games being on FS1 for those that disagree go look up the old TV schedules since the current deal started in 2015 the only secondary channel MLS has been on is ESPN2.

9. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup same reason why EPL got all the big media cheerleading in the mid 2010s about how they sudden were the next big league in America which led to the push back MLS is failing narrative that folks like WST pedaled for years. The answer is a serious influx of Over the air TV games on NBC about 30 a year.

MLS largely had the last decade no over the air games which went to 5 games a year now up to 12 this year. Its funny how we spent years bemoaning MLS TV ratings when the answer was always just to show more games on broadcast cable. Data has shown increased national broadcast cable TV coverage has the effect over time of growing the national base of your league. NHL averaged 398,000 this year across NBC/NBCSN and 391,000 on NBC/NBCSN but the NBC partnership the last 10yrs has helped to grow that leagues National brand for marquee games like the winter classic/stadium series and Stanley Cup Finals.

The goal for MLS should be to not just be content with the current increase in OTA coverage but they should seek and increase in coverage. Who know what MLS TV numbers could look even higher in the next 5-10 yrs. Model and use what NHL did the last decade and use the increase national presence along with along with just adding more generational fandom to grow marquee events.
    Screenshot 2021-06-29 12.09.53 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-29 12.00.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-28 11.58.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-29 12.04.37 AM.png

10. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Interesting sports TV ratings from Monday:

Pretty phenomenal ratings for Euro 2021 considering it's on in the middle of the day on the east coast and in the morning on the west.

SetPeace repped this.
  11. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any cord-cutters here who had trouble accessing YouTube TV on Roku lately? I was getting to watch network stuff going through a link provided by the YouTube site since the spat between Roku and Google became public. Last Friday and Saturday, I couldn't even access YouTube through Roku, but all the other channels on my system worked fine. Because of the disruption, I ordered a Fire Stick from Amazon. On Sunday, I was able to watch everything on Roku (like the scintillating Austin-Columbus game on FS1). It was then that I thought, maybe I made a mistake ordering the Fire Stick.

Well, Monday morning, I was watching the local news at 6, and just when the weather forecast was coming on so I could plan my day, the signal went out, and Roku returned to its main channel line-up menu. When I tried to access YouTube, it was a no go, just like Friday and Saturday. I think the customers of both services feel like kids caught in the middle of a messy divorce! My Fire Stick arrived Tuesday. I hooked it up, and all is well with my television now. Hopefully, Google and Amazon will play nice with each other. I used to subscribe to Hulu, but I switched to YouTube TV last December, because they offered more channels for the same price.

12. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I moved away from YouTube TV last fall, but just this weekend I noticed that the Google Play channel on Roku has disappeared/was removed by Google.

At this point I'm looking at moving to a Samsung smart TV (they seem to be the only one where all streaming apps work) and maybe a Fire Stick/Fire TV Recast to DVR channels that I'm getting via antenna.

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    YouTube TV is working fine via my Roku device. I was watching it last night.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe people still rely on the TV weather forecast! There are figuratively 45,000 ways off getting a more up to date and accurate forecast than watching a failed news anchor (OK in a few cases the person is actually a meteorologist).:)

crookeddy repped this.
  15. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Yourube tv is working fine on my roku. If you dont have the regular youtube app, download it. They have access to youtube tv on there now. You might have better luck.

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

Soccer popularity growth is not real?

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  18. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was doing this for a while. It was a bit tedious, but at least it worked. I couldn't even access the YouTube app for 3 out of 4 days, hence, my frustration. Very pleased with the FireStick. It's a cleaner look and I find a bit easier to access other networks with the remote than what I had with Roku.

Thanks for all your input guys! Weird that you didn't have any problems with Roku and YouTube like I was having, and YouTube was the only network on my Roku system that was inaccessible. Everything else worked well, as usual.

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

Combined ESPN and Univision ratings for the euro cup final match the average ratings of the NBA Finals thus far, but you know... soccer will never make it in this country and all that.

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    And lets not forget, Copa America was BIGGER for Univision than even the Euro Cup!

22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So, why is Fox hiding Copa America numbers? Did everyone just watch in Spanish?

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

24. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Is there a definitive single go to site to see the changes to MLS TV ratings or a collection of data points from multiple sources and you make own kinda sums up.

In Australia by way of example we have two key data points being FTA [Free to Air] ratings and subscriptions [pay TV] ratings, they could either be added together or taken separately.

Recently and after 15 years we have changed our broadcaster from FOX [Subscription TV] .... to CBS who own a local FTA network and are kick starting Paramount and using Football as their prime sports asset.

As an aside Australian Football has been in a civil war for the pass hhhmmmm 4 to 5 years and finally in late 2020 after FIFA intervention spilt into two groups first Football Australia running Football most things, and the Australian Professional League APL running the professional side of things i.e the A-league, W-League, Y [youth]-League and E[ gaming ]-League.

For those and I know most don't so only if interested, I have linked an interview with Danny Townsend the Managing Director of the professional game in Australia [only recently separately from the national governing body] AnyWho he explains in some detail the new CBS media deal... its 45 minutes, and what I think is interesting to those interested is how he describes the future of broadcasting from roughly the 16 minute point.

Sorry post was way bigger than I expected, but back to my original question is there an easy way to determine ratings changes.

Dirt McGirt, RafaLarios and SetPeace repped this.
  25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

AZUL GALAXY repped this.