News: The 2021/22 Season Preview/Review Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jun 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know you meant DDG. I'm saying I personally would use Dean based on how I see the team.

I'm not belittling your argument just pointing out that nothing is clear cut with this team currently.

jeff070 repped this.
  2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think you could find 5 posters who want to start Matic regularly. Maybe some folks will say they want to see VDB in the pivot, but it is clear that we are playing 4231 and not a 433. If we are playing 2 in the pivot and Scott isn't available then that leaves Fred/Pogba as the 2 and Sancho & Mason as the wide players supporting a central striker.

There's no chance in hell Ronaldo is used as a sub. He's played 4 matches as a sub out of the last 59 for club and country and he's played 90 minutes for nearly all of them.

I suspect that Ole will get more change out of him than anyone else would have. We may even see an uptick in his pressing numbers (an uptick, he's not going to become Firminho/Lingard). I think maybe we can convince him to miss games in the lead up to CL matches where he'll be needed from the start and to play his 90 minutes in 75 (meaning to exert himself beyond what he normally would knowing there's a viable sub) especially when things aren't going our way.

But I think Cavani is very much an impact sub and a player on the out looking in. Rightfully so. I'd feel differently but he is rarely available as it is. If we'd have wrapped Ole up early, I'd have been happy to send Cavani packing. Class on the pitch, but his availability was ludicrous.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Back5

McFred

Sancho
    Bruno
    Pogba

Ronaldo.

JC7rox repped this.
  4. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I'm pretty sure Cavani was ducking games last season after the racism ban. He didn't want to stay in England after that episode. It's possible too he missed the Saints game, a match we really needed him, because he was being shopped for a transfer.

5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Between the Ajax Jersey and now Ronaldo's return Adidas stock must be crazy company is going to post an insane profit in the soccer department

benni... repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United's Champions League group stage official squad:
    De Gea, Henderson, Heaton, Dalot, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelöf, Bailly, Varane, Maguire, Telles, Shaw, Matić, McTominay, Fred, Van de Beek, Mata, Lingard, Pogba, Fernandes, Sancho, Amad, Rashford, Martial, Cavani, Ronaldo.

Mase is in the B-list which consists of players between the ages 15 and 21 who have played at the club for at least 3 years. These players don’t need to be registered in the 25-man squad in order to play in the competition.
    Each club can register an unlimited number of players on this list which can be changed until the day before each match.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Terribly partial to Bruno's volley vs Leeds.

jnielsen repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]Best squad from top to bottom/man for man, has to be Chelsea and City's. City's lack of a genuine CF means that Chelsea have the most balanced one though as far as I'm concerned. United's is right there with them in terms of sheer quality, but for the lack of a viable holding mid.
    Think we really would have a legitimate shot at contending for the title, on par with those 2 teams if we had just one decent 6. That is what makes us outsiders, along with Pool. They have a strong starting XI (and Klopp) but while they have some depth, it's not on the level of the other 3 teams. An injury or 2 to crucial players would be a problem.
    Will be very interesting to see how it all unfolds though...

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We will send Amad on loan in January or maybe as soon as he is healthy again to a championship side and Mata is a player/coach at this point. We really just need a Gareth Barry level 6 and we are a whole new level of dangerous.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldo at Carrington today and it is reported he has taken part in training as well.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - 9/11 vs Newcastle (h-PL)
    - 9/14 vs Young Boys (a-CL)
    - 9/19 vs West Ham (a-PL)
    - 9/22 vs West Ham (h-EFL)
    - 9/25 vs Aston Villa (h-PL)
    - 9/29 vs Villareal (h-CL)
    With this round on intls almost behind us, United's slate for the rest of this month is looking pretty manageable (not necessarily the easiest but it's not murder either). And the team really needs to rack up the points also because starting in October, the schedule gets much tougher. And obviously, going into it in good position and with momentum on their side (whether it's in the league or Europe) will only make it easier. They just need to get it done.

13. Krispi

Krispi Member

Manchester United
    Aug 24, 2021
    European Union
    Roy Keane manager a possibility for a changing formation 4-2-3-1 fore 4-3-3 I think about a season or two season until OGS and Ronaldo ending about two season?

14. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Even if our midfield is not perfect, if we find a balanced offense that is efficient and produces great output and are in sync we should be able to get far in all three main competitions.

It is important for the attacking group to find cohesion on the pitch.

jnielsen and SF19 repped this.
  15. Krispi

Krispi Member

Manchester United
    Aug 24, 2021
    European Union
    #315 Krispi, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    One by Donny and Bruno wrong at pitch then too Pogba are right about United got Brozovic in january and Pogba stay for another 1,5 year may sell Bruno and Pogba in 2023 about we got Brozovic in january 2022 rest agree?

Roy Keane will a CM line up Donny+Matic+Tielemans or Brozovic+McT+Fred+Mejbri?

:D:D:D:D:D

16. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Form is everything especially with forwards so at the moment Ole should be rolling with Greenwood, Bruno and Pogba and Ronaldo up front. Others like Sancho, Donny and Martial should be given the chance to play themselves into form against the likes of Young Boys, the League Cup etc.

jnielsen and benni... repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United's official, registered Premier League squad for the 2021-22 season.
    upload_2021-9-10_12-51-13.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-10_12-52-18.jpeg

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't post this where it actually belongs since I appear not to have access to that thread...
    Excellent documentary overall but the part of interest is hearing what the BBC (who have made/produced this doc) are saying in regards to the alleged rape case (see the 50:20min mark). Would think it's fair to say that they would have done their homework and therefore what they are reporting about the current state of the case to be reliable...

jnielsen repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ronaldo Effect is already being felt at the dinner table... :ROFLMAO:

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1439607190118076418 is not a valid tweet id

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    In 10-15 years, Grant is going to be one of the top pundits of the game or one of the best young coaches. He has that way to communicate about him and you already see that he's working with the young players at the club

22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    #323 benni..., Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    So i think most supporters understand that we are still building form. Even without midfield reinforcements, im a little more positive.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #324 Ashur, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Waiting to see how things look by the start of December. October and November will be the litmus test for this team in terms of the schedule and teams they have to face.
    We've got Everton, Leicester, Pool and Spurs in October, followed by City, Watford Chelsea and Arsenal. With crucial CL ties sprinkled in between. Fingers crossed, we can work up to a nice level to be ready to negotiate some of those tough games by then.
    Interestingly enough, games against tougher oppo (those who tend to have more of the ball at least) does seem to suit us well (and our counter attacking style). So there is reason to be reasonably optimistic.
    Considering how we've played in most matches so far, can't complain at all about our current league position. But we should have a pretty decent idea of what's in store for this season by the time December rolls around. Not that it will be over, one way or the other, but we'll be 3mos into the season and things should start to clear up a bit by then.

Edit: It does feel like we're back to a Top 4 in the league now with Chelsea, City, United and Pool clearly ahead of the rest pack. But what fierce competition is in store to determine the order of the table. Those teams are no joke though based on what we've seen so far...

24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I am upset with Ole for mismanaging the side leading to the carabao cup. Yes it is a stupid comp but when keeping everybody fit and sharp and somewhat satisfied with playing time. Going into these kinds of games you should really be working guys in from your bench and have a mix of a and b sides especially against lower level opposition. But instead Ole has guys in who haven't played in a long time and they have no combo work together cuz they've never worked with each other and so we looked out of sorts and then we started chasing the game played better but still couldn't make it work.