The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are lots of local and state elections. As @xtomx said, there is the WisSC position. In Milwaukee, there were multiple seats of Blacks (or younger Blacks) seeking office to remove the White or older incumbent.

xtomx repped this.
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    My belief: he saw in Wisconsin absolute proof that people would literally die if the primary race continued.

Deadtigers, dapip, Boandlkramer and 2 others repped this.
  3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't make sense. He was against the Wis Primary date (due to the pandemic) and didn't want people to go out and vote. Yet he announced after they would have gone out and voted? Wouldn't it have been better if he announced prior because some of his supporters would then not have voted?

onefineesq repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They're either dumb as rocks, intentionally trolling, or overemotional. Of course President Biden would sign an M4A bill. He will sign each and every bill that a Democratic Congress would send him.

sitruc, dapip, Knave and 1 other person repped this.
  5. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wasn't a sure thing it was gonna happen, other states already postponed.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You keep writing that, although Florida has voted Dem two of the past three Presidential elections, and all three contests were very close, as were the recent Senate and governor races. Of course it is a battleground state.

Iowa looks to be light red.

onefineesq, dapip and charlie15 repped this.
  7. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Biden out here handing out crumbs.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As are other states. People keep writing as if everything that happened the previous election will repeat, in this case meaning that Trump will retain every single state that we won last time. Well, you know, it doesn't work like that, as Hillary found out when relying on the states that Obama had won in 2012.

Trump could well win Wisconsin and lose, say, Florida and Georgia, in which case he would be whupped.

9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13484 charlie15, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    In the context of the three midwest states, Wisconsin is the most wide open now and for various reasons. The other two may be out of reach quickly for Trump. Fl, NC are in play and a wild card may be Az with Mark Kelly leading largely there in the Senate race. I expect the Mc Cain to endorse Joe there too.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Oh, I agree. I'm just reading too many comments that act as if those three states are the only ones in play. Not so. It's deeply unlikely that the other 47 states plus DC would vote exactly as they did in 2016, with no changes.

But I guess you did not intend that, so never mind.

charlie15 repped this.
  11. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Florida statewide is a Republican bastion. From the state legislature, to the governorship including two very right wing U.S senators. You are right Obama winning FL twice is and was an aberration based on his dynamic abilities as a politician. Prior to Clinton winning FL in 96 the state has been consistently red.

Now races are very close in terms of margins but weirdly enough every race for govenor, Senate and president comes within 1-2 % points yet the GOP always wins hmmm funny how that always occurs lol

Florida currently is a very Trumpian state shits its basically his home state. Now that I think about it Flordia man is the POTUS. I say he wins florida by 3-6% points.

Georgia will be closer than FL.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Random though - Warren & AOC tag teaming economic policy. With Warren in Treasury and AOC as Commerce.

Especially think AOC would learn a ton from both Biden and Warren, and I think Biden can help moderate her trade stances.

Would love to see AOC evolve to the point where she's well rounded enough to run for President, and win.

Deadtigers, xtomx, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    You're literally making up conclusions without evidence.

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  14. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like her, but she’s already been elevated to boogey man level by the wingnuts

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Name one red state "Romeny state" that Hillary won in 2016?

Name one red Mccain state that Hillary won in 2016.

Name one Red Mccain state that Obama won in 2012?

Name one Red Bush state that Kerry won in 2004?

I think New Hampshire but who knows lol

Red states are pretty damn consistent. Only Obama charismatic and historic breaking election flipped many red states in 2008.

So yes 45-47 states are irrelevant let me know when Biden is campaigning in Missouri and Trump is campaigning in Maryland then I might change my mind. But I doubt it.

16. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Prove me wrong! You can't ! look up the facts buddy. Not my job to provide you with things you can easily verify by google.

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I can prove that the data you're using doesn't remotely support the conclusions you're making. It's called election history from 2016 and 2018.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For the record on Florida -

2000 dead heat
    2004 Red by 5.0 points
    2008 Blue 2.8
    2012 Blue 0.9
    2016 Red 1.6

If Trump and the Republicans had cried "I quit" upon seeing such numbers, they never would have won Wisconsin, PA, and Michigan which were bluer than Florida is red.

I'm pretty sure that Biden and team won't be conceding Florida, not at all.

onefineesq, sitruc, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    FL is no more Republican than the nation as a whole. In the past 50 years there has only been one election where the winner of FL didn't become president and that was in 1992 when Bush carried FL. While the Republicans have had a hold on the governorship lately, there is no long history of FL being red. Prior to Jeb Bush being elected in '99 there were only 2 republican governors in FL in the 20th century.

xtomx repped this.
  20. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Trump will win by Bush 04 numbers 3-5 points and 300k victory margin book it!

21. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    That's because it was part of the solid segregationist South. Ever since the rise of the suburban Sunbelt in the 80s Florida has been consistently Republican on a state, local and federal level and you know it!

22. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Refute this @JohnR you can't!

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You are cherry picking. It's an aberration when a Democrat wins but it is not an aberration when a Republican wins. It's alright to dislike Florida, I dislike Florida. It doesn't make it ok to bend or make up facts.

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Any state within margin of error is a battleground state:

Colorado −4.91%
    Maine −2.96%
    Nevada −2.42%
    Minnesota −1.52%
    New Hampshire −0.37%

Michigan 0.23%
    Pennsylvania 0.72%
    Wisconsin 0.77%
    Florida 1.20%
    Nebraska, 2.24%
    Arizona 3.55%
    North Carolina 3.66%

I'd venture to say that Florida might be the tiping point, but if not, NC will be a valuable backup. Bear in mind, that even if Il Douche is underperforming in all these states by lets say 3 points compared to 2016, 8 of them are still statiscally tied and an upset is still possible.

My point is that for the other 38 (and possible 4 more from the above list) we pretty much know the outcome. Is in the purple states, where republicans still weild some power over the elections, where we will see most of the shenanigans, just like we witnessed in Wisconsin.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not just in Florida, he is doing that with every state. It's like watching Fox.

Deadtigers, dapip and charlie15 repped this.