The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Yeah, I'm gonna stop reading right there.

sitruc, appwrangler, ElJefe and 2 others repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I only made it this far.

ElJefe repped this.
  3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol... You aren't his target audience and you've made it clear in the past you aren't open to his position. Not really sure why you needed to further emphasize it.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For the record I don't disagree with any of this, outside of the voting process being rigged. I can agree that there are absolutely discrepancies in the process, some of which have disadvantaged Sanders, but I struggle to conceive how the system can be so rigged as for there to be swings of upwards of 10% in favor of Joe Biden. If true, that puts us into a situation wherein we're suddenly a lot like Russia or China, and change is impossible. I would like to hear more about that particular aspect of your argument.
    I agree with all of this. The base isn't large enough yet, but it is there and it is willing. In the past, I've expressed the idea that Sanders is the progressive John the Baptist to someone else's (AOC?) Jesus in 2024/2028. I still stand by that. I think Bernie's way forward is going to eventually take over the party. Bernie has taken the movement massively far; he should be proud of what he's accomplished, but people aren't going to warm to radical changes such as the ones he's proposed overnight. Someday a younger, fresher face is going to bring his vision to life in the White House though, I'd put money on it.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  5. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Since you mentioned her, I love this picture of them. I’m not one of the many offended by her starting to “play by the rules”

I hope she’s around for the foreseeable future.

IMG_0806.jpg

Walia Ibex and Deadtigers repped this.
  6. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I think it's questionable whether there'll be a Trump brand at all in the next few years, regardless of how the 2020 election plays out.

That's partly because I think that Trumpism is a product of a moment that can't persist indefinitely. Essentially, you have a shrinking core constituency of lower education, older, white men. Right now, that group has shrunk enough to generate a feeling of cultural marginalization, but remains big enough to be electorally decisive, and to have a separate media establishment that caters to its world view. That combination of circumstances is what sustains Trumpism - but those circumstances can't be sustained for the long run.

And even in the short run, I think that the virus may call the viability of Trumpism into question. For his supporters, the President's appeal revolves around extravagant boasting, loudmouthed bullying and mocking, displaying a shameless contempt for facts and knowledge, and stoking hatred of other Americans. I don't anticipate as much of an appetite for those things in the coming months (unless the unproven medicines Trump's touting do turn out to be miracle wonder drugs, I guess). Even if the epidemic lessens to the point that rallies become physically safe, I'm not sure that a typical Trump rally will be possible in the aftermath of what we're going though right now.

And a toned-down version of Trump probably won't be statesmanlike or dignified - sullen, weak, and pathetic are more likely adjectives.

appwrangler, SetPeace, Chicago76 and 3 others repped this.
  7. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how accurate or trustworthy the polling is, but according to a Reuters/IPSOS poll released Tuesday, Joe Biden leads Donald Trump 46-40% in spite of the latter hogging most of the screen time during the pandemic. While 49% say the President is doing a good job managing the current situation, it pales in comparison to the 70% who say the governors of states are doing a more effective job.

As Jessie Jackson once said after his 1984 Presidential campaign ended, "Keep hope alive!".

8. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mr Biden needs to maintain some kind of public exposure...

To Joe public that doesn’t pay attention to politics like we do has probably forgotten there’s an election going on. Not literally, but you know what I mean.

Deadtigers and SetPeace repped this.
  9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe is also leading by 9 and 10 in the Fox news and the Harris one. In average, he may be ahead by 7 or 8. That is pretty good, taking into account the Douche is monopolizing the highlights every day. Perhaps that is not a bad thing since people will see him for who he is though.

sitruc, Deadtigers and SetPeace repped this.
  10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For the foreseeable future, all the air time will go to Trump and the governors. Fortunately, people know who Joe is. He doesn't need the publicity to increase his name recognition. And eventually attentions will turn to the general election.

sitruc, Deadtigers and SetPeace repped this.
  11. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You and I and most everyone here knows who he is....

I still don’t think it does his campaign any favors, him not getting his face out there....gaffes and all.

I can see some people, that don’t watch the news, just going with what we got, “wartime footing” and all

12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBF, he has been pretty active lately. He has been on TV basically every day the last week or so, appearing on diverse shows, from The View to Meet the Press, Anderson Cooper, Lawrence Odonnell etc....

sitruc and Boandlkramer repped this.
  13. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Wondering who Joe will pick as VP. He will probably go safe and pick Kamala Harris. She is insipid and will bring nothing to the ticket, not as bad as Tim Kaine but still uninspiring. I would like Stacey Abrams but she is hell bent on being Govenor of GA and using that as her springboard to the White House in 2024/2028. What other 40-60 year old elected WOC are out there? If he goes with a WW than Joe is more tone deaf than I thought.

14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    He's been keeping busy. He sends me about 10 emails and texts every day.

sitruc, xtomx, Deadtigers and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I’d like to see commercials still....the tv watchers need to get peppered with Joe Knows Me ads.

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be only person out there who would call Kamala Harris insipid. That is reassuring though, taking into account how many times you have been wrong (and proven) lately. :ROFLMAO:

xtomx repped this.
  17. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    She is from my neck of the woods, I and others know all about her and outsiders don't. Wrong and proven wrong by who, you? Lol if disagreeing with your biased takes makes me wrong I don't want to be right!

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    One of the hazards of not putting your dead under the ground. I mean, I understand the reason, but still... you have to expect it if they're not actually buried.

Funkfoot repped this.
  19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ads at this point is pretty much wasted money. As you said, people just aren't paying attention right now, due to obvious reasons. ;)

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The ads will be coming bigly in August, September, and October. Plenty of Bloomberg money to see to that.

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can see Trump's ads in October reminding us that the great leader was the first one to realize the seriousness of the pandemic. I hope people don't have short memories.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The base will be happy, but I suspect that for the rest, this will smack of W telling us how he solved Katrina. (Which he didn't tell us, but you get the point.)

23. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And ....

06032640-3E52-478B-A094-46C49868888E-4678-000005FFDE32D47A.jpg

chaski and Deadtigers repped this.
  24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I saw him interviewed on CNN, and he looked quite good, as the voice of reason. Of course, he was hitting softballs, but it worked.

charlie15 repped this.
  25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Boandlkramer repped this.