News: The 2019/20 Injury and suspension thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 23, 2019.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Athletes [emoji2377]

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    can't see the emoji so not sure if you're being sarcastic. i only see a square so i don't know what face it is but i can't imagine the upsides are ever worth the risk.

even in a championship scenario

3. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    It was the shrug emoji.

This happens in all sports.

jnielsen repped this.
  4. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Considering how Ole has handled guys so far, I can totally believe he risked it.

I Honestly don't understand why some seem to just ignore how Ole has handled injuries and mins so far. He acts like every match is the last one some of these guys will ever play, so he rushes them back or leaves them on when he shouldn't.

Pogba has made the best decision.

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    you understand that i already blamed him for the injury to Lingard and Rashford right? or was that part missed too? this was before it was revealed what the type of injury was.

i still question the medical staff and the kinds of treatment we're giving and assessments we're making as a club. maybe i'm the only one here but i can't imagine a stress fracture of the back is a normal thing to play on with. i suppose he looked OK and was able to play in the games just before Wolves but you'd hope we wouldn't have knowingly forced him in anyway.

i don't believe every injury we've had has resulted in the player rushed back either. Bailly Tuanzebe Martial weren't. Pogba was out forever too and we need him the most.

since 05/06 can anyone name a time or season we didn't have an injury crisis? since there is a lot of talk of coincidences is it a coincidence that for years in a row with several different sets of players we get them? sometimes by Christmas?

maybe we're behind in methods and technology or some other reason but i find it hard to believe the only cause is merciless slave driver managers running players into the ground.

like i said we're not playing significantly more games than other teams competing at the top

jnielsen repped this.
  6. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have seen guys play in the NFL stress fractures in their back, so it isn't the most uncommon thing. So technically you can play on, but the chances of it getting worse are high. So I can totally buy they found it. But that is when the manager looks at the player and tells them no. Especially considering how and when it got worse for Rashford. I am not saying the medical staff is doing great, but this is something that could have totally been diagnosed, and a decision to play him still done.

I want to see Ole try to rush Pogba. I am sure that would go well. :x3:

It isn't that the club is playing significantly more games then other teams, it is that our top players are playing significantly too many matches, especially in short burst of time. Many predicted this happening to Rashford, Martial and Pogba this season. This isn't a surprise.

A good comparsion is Rashford to Salah and Mane. He has played 1 more match then Salah, and 2 more then Mane. But if you look at the fixtures it is telling. Even as Liverpool made it to the QFs of the League Cup and had 4 extra fixtures by playing in the Shield, Super Cup and CWC, they have played less matches then Rashford, and have not played any cup matches. Rashford had to play through the Christmas fixtures, and then play significant mins in 3 cup matches both sides of the divide. it would have been 4, but he got hurt in that 4th one. That was dumb.

From Dec 15 through Jan 15, Rashford played in every United game. 8 starts, and 2 appearance as a sub, including in the match he was injured. If he only played the league matches, it would have only been 6 matches. Instead he ended up playing a match every 3 days on average, with no week between any appearance. Why do this to him? Why?

Also there is a big difference between getting subbed early or coming on as a sub, and not playing a match. The NBA is a good example of this, where they have done research pointing out that you still have to put in all the work associated with playing a match, so pulling Rashford early or subbing him on, is not significantly different then playing him 90. Because his body still has to go through everything to play a match.

7. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #157 Drae, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Its not hard to believe that the medical / physio dept is as much of a dumpster fire as everything else.

That being said, the manager is responsible for rotation. The manager is in the position to make decisions as to whether players play or not. Players (well most of them not called Pogba) will always push themselves more than they should. Experienced managers know this and _manage_ the squad and the players accordingly.

This is one area that Ole has to own. And hes doing significantly worse than our recent managers, many of whom were not good at this to begin with.

Amdrag and jnielsen repped this.
  8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    ^especially given Pogba recently had to seek second opinion on that surgery.

it does make you wonder...

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ed decision to let two strikers leave in Lukaku and Sanchez (loan) and not replacing them, plus letting two CMs leave in Fellaini and Herrera and not replacing them leaving us scrabbling.

Sporting know we are over a barrel on Bruno - might as well just pay up now.

Would imagine striker options in January severely limited, especially loan ones.

10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    might be forced to buy a Dembélé from Lyon or someone like that

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This. Ed and the glazers are cutting Corners everywhere, it isn't about football anymore , it's about money.

13. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    No wonder we can't attract players when shit like this happening in the club.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...y-latest-update-solskjaer-today-a9292466.html

The fact that Rashford was clearly showing signs of discomfort days ahead of the Wolves game speaks volume and it doesn't reflect very well at all for all the parties concerned, whether it's the physio department or the coaching staff (who both had to be aware something was not right with Rashford).
    They're the ones who are suppose to protect the players even from themselves, if need be.

jnielsen repped this.
  15. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The perfect excuse when we don't spend.

"Well we thought Marcus would be back in 6 weeks. We did not expect 4 months. How could we spend?"

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The state of this club...my God...even when you think we've hit rock bottom in terms of incompetence we just one up ourselves.

Said it before and I'll continue to say it, worst run big club in all of football.

Amdrag repped this.
  17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    @Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

See the first quote is even more proof of Ole, not doing right by Rashford. 6 ********ing weeks? Those words came out of Ole's mouth twice.

Amdrag repped this.
  18. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We keep going like this, and you will be able to remove the big club part!

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  19. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ole is working for the Glazers. And when I say that, they are his concern. I get people love Ole. I love him too. But at some point we need to realize his concern is Ole. It is painful watching Keane, Neville, Scholes and others basically just cover for him all the time now. Like he isn't responsible for the stuff he says or does.

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The funny thing is when SAF was still around and Pool were floundering under Rodgers we mocked them relentlessly for being a big club in history only. And now look at us. We've fallen way further than they did at their lowest.

Amdrag repped this.
  21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ole is a yes man. Thats partly why he was hired IMO. Hes never going to rock the boat and he'll always talk positive about Woody and the Glazers because they gave him a job that he didnt deserve and would never get an offer this big from another major team. He knows if he loses this job its back to managing Molde and clubs of that stature.

Amdrag repped this.
  22. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't need him to rock the boat or even go against the Glazers. I just need him to stop the double talk, that puts a false reality out there about the club and players. Look at the pressure he now piled on Rashford for no reason, then to cover for himself and the Glazers.

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I dont expect him to call them out, but enough of the overly positive bullshit on all front.

But someone needs to call out the Glazers and Woodward. Im glad Jose did it to a degree but he had burned too many bridges with the players at that point. I would love for guys like Pogba to basically say that he wants to stay but the quality of players being brought in are not in line with his ambitions. I get that may be unrealistic but the spotlight needs to be shone on Woody and the Glazers more. Everyone here knows they are a problem but the casual fan doesnt understand the depths of their failure. And that probably wouldnt even be enough for change but all the ire of United fans needs to be focused on a single face and that shouldnt be Ole despite what I think of him as a manager.

Amdrag repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lindelöf has been sent home today from training, presumably because he's sick. With Baiily back, I guess that means he probably will partner Maguire tomorrow.

25. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Are you already forgetting the first two thirds of the last decade? Two 6ths, two 7ths, two 8ths. One trophy (League Cup).

We're on our way there, but not close yet.