The 2018 Table :: Magic Numbers, Tragic Numbers & Other Curious Quantities

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Aug 13, 2018.

1. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Date of mathematical elimination/qualification does seem pretty relevant for a thread looking at playoff qualification. So to me, it seems a little worth the time. .....to each their own though.

2. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Because ATL plays the Red Bulls still, for ATL to stay on 51 points, the Red Bulls have to reach 51 points with more wins than Colorado, as a result, the Rapids have been eliminated from the SS.

3. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shocking news :rolleyes:

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The shocking part was that we hadn't been eliminated yet.

Beerking, GreatGonzo, jaykoz3 and 4 others repped this.
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    With a weird calendar that we have this year, if DCU keeps getting the same results at home and away they might finish 4-5 points ahead of MTL. Would that be disappointing?

6. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Hey @Knave, your calendar includes COL@LAG, which happened last week. It was originally scheduled for 8/29, but got moved.

7. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I blame me, all my travel has confused @Knave as to what day and week this is :)

BalanceUT and El Naranja repped this.
  8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I blame you too! :mad:

Beerking repped this.
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your week 34 schedule has 29 listings, but it has to be an even number because each game has two clubs.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    If this is the last glitch in that schedule, it'll be a miracle. I'll figure it out over the weekend.

Meanwhile, the real question is are you really so bored you were you counting the games in each week?

(Edit - Think I already found it. A CLB listing appears to be in the wrong week.)

BalanceUT repped this.
  11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't count the games in each week.

12. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I have an hour train commute each direction for work, so I started on this, because why the hell not. Have some procedures to calculate if a team has been eliminated from playoff contention or if they've already qualified. I've also started on whether or not a team can still win the Supporter's Shield (good news Orlando fans, you can still win the Supporter's Shield outright! It's not going to happen, but it's theoretically possible). It's a fun little programming exercise.

Gamecock14, nlsanand and MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.
  13. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A program is probably more than I would do (or more honestly can do). I basically just look at ones with low elimination #s (magic numbers) and eyeball based on their schedule. But I'd be very interest in how you do it. I'm debating starting to follow baseball just to see if there are similar instances there.

crazypete13 repped this.
  14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The hand of the Toast Jesus was on me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Toast and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of crumbs. (Toastzekiel 37:1)

1Conferences.png
    2Combined.png
    3Misc.png
    4TablesKey.png
    5Schedule.png

Notes

I've taken a good look at the table, and I have concluded the following: nothing significant happened this week.

Quick Hits

What part of nothing significant happened this week don't you understand?

BalanceUT and SccrDon repped this.
  15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me, kind sir. But your favorite team in the world has officially made it into playoff position.

Congrats!!

BalanceUT, Kappa74 and Sounders78 repped this.
  16. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2/3 of Canadian teams eliminated from SS contention seems like something (I know I’m stretching)

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    LA Riot?

It's not.

Allez RSL and JasonMa repped this.
  18. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have I ever thanked you for using WDL instead of WLD? It makes so much more sense that way.

BalanceUT, Allez RSL, SccrDon and 4 others repped this.
  19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mailed that shit in, didn’t you?

jaykoz3 repped this.
  20. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I"m still trying to wrap my head around the meaning of Magic # and Tragic # and how they are affected by other games. You probably explained this before so could you supply a link to the explanation?

21. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 3 links in the original post that discuss that.

Bill's right about us...no one reads his stupid links.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bulls have 52 points. New England has the seventh most possible points in the East with 56. The Red Bulls needs a sum of at least 5 more points and 5 points dropped by New England to clinch over New England because 52 + 5 > 56. It gets more complicated to clinch over multiple clubs. Montreal and Toronto FC have 54 possible points. If New England drops 5 points, the Red Bulls don't get any, and Montreal and Toronto FC don't drop any, the Red Bulls will not clinch the playoffs. If you get as many points as your magic number, you clinch the playoffs. If the Red Bulls draw at Montreal, the Red Bulls will clinch over Montreal because the Red Bulls will have 53 and Montreal will be limited to 52. The Red Bulls clinch the playoffs with a win over Houston followed by a win over Montreal and/or New England does not beat Portland.

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    :whistling:

BalanceUT repped this.
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not if you're as old as Knave and grew up in the United States.

Ismitje and Zamphyr repped this.
  25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Magic numbers, as best as I can tell, originated with baseball when only the conference or division winner advanced to the post-season (or playoffs if you will). At that point it was a simple, discrete, calculation. How many games does the first place team have to win, and the next team have to lose in order to guarantee advancement.

As playoff systems have moved beyond just division winners, the calculations involved become much trickier. And soccer's (and the NHL's) curveball of having some games with two points and others worth three further complicates matter.

In many cases it's now easier to calculate the reverse for failing teams. How close are we to ********ing this up? That's the tragic number.

Kejsare, jaykoz3 and JasonMa repped this.