The 2017 MLS TV Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    A. It's not 1996, the league didn't just start.
    B. Millinials (pretty much leading the soccer push) are leading the cord cutting push
    C. http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articl...able-originals-network-finals-10-26-2017.html Crew Vs. Atlanta drew 300 k viewers which is a darn (I just learned cursing is a no no here) shame. That game was absolutely thrilling. It did the same numbers as Cincinnati (USL) Vs. Chicago (MLS) from the open cup.

2. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much are OTA broadcasters bidding? If it's close, the extra exposure may be worth it. It's probably not, so it isn't.

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Those millennials don't watch OTA channels either.

4. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    But they are easily accessible to us

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Chicago vs Cinci was one hell of an Open game, not the play quality but the trill of it.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not as much as ESPN.

Fox does show some games on their OTA channels.

MLS could make it a rule that bidders need to show x-amount of games OTA to qualify.

The contracts are worth as much because the TV Networks want content for their sports channels, MLS content may not be worth as much if they can't get people to watch those sports channels.

7. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any update on the ratings?

8. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some news from the ESPN side on playoff ratings so far:

deejay, RfrancisR, AZUL GALAXY and 2 others repped this.
  9. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    is there any way to get a market by market breakdown of the ratings to see where growth occurred?

10. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see an increase, but that 182k from last year looks truly awful for playoffs

11. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the benefits of the recent expansions is as the league continues to bring in bigger markets like Minny and ATL you will see the playoff numbers make incremental bumps. The same thing has occurred with the regular season. Say each market brings and additional 50k MLS TV viewers. During the playoffs the numbers will be more evident than during the season. I think when expansion is all said and done playoffs numbers could be similiar to the NHL with the non Final games averaging 500k-600k and the big Finals/Final number in the millions. MLS Cup has had solid numbers the past 2 yrs.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Take it easy my friend. There have been very few soccer games of any type in the millions. (outside of the world cup)

13. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
  15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Very interesting that the Columbus match on Halloween was the most watched! I think the public picked up on the Dave Columbus movement. Very cool.

16. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's Dave, and what does he want?

:whistling:

Stupid_American repped this.
  17. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Len and Zamphyr repped this.
  18. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    424K is pretty good! I bet it helps to not have these games going up against football

19. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #570 eddygee, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

No need to take it easy. I am justified and you totally didn't comprehend my statement. I said that as more teams come into the league, the next 4-6 teams bring us to 28 teams and will naturally add more TV eyeballs as the markets come. At MLS level we won't add the 500k-1,000,000 eye balls that the big 3 bring on avg per TV market for playoff games but. 50k per market is a good estimate range. That would eventually get us to about 500k-600k range like the NHL. I also said we would get the big MLS Cup Final number in the millions.

The last 3 MLS cups have had total viewerships in the millions 1.7-3.55 million range.
    2014- 1.9mil total viewers
    https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...t-mls-cup-2014-draws-almost-19-million-v.html
    2015- 1.7mil total viewers
    http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/201...-distinction-of-being-least-watched-ever.html
    2016- 3.55mil total viewers
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016...record-most-watched-title-game-league-history

So I'm not off in anything I said. One of the main reason MLS numbers haven't been as the other big Pro leagues is market size. You get about 28-30 teams you will pull similarly to NHL numbers.

21. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need to take it easy. I am justified and you totally didn't comprehend my statement. I said that as more teams come into the league, the next 4-6 teams bring us to 28 teams and will naturally add more TV eyeballs as the markets come. At MLS level we won't add the 500k-1,000,000 eye balls that the big 3 bring on avg per TV market for playoff games. However 50k per market is a good estimate range. That would eventually get us to about 500k-600k range like the NHL. I also said we would get the big MLS Cup Final number in the millions.

The last 3 MLS cups have had total viewerships in the millions 1.7-3.55 million range.
    2014- 1.9mil total viewers
    https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...t-mls-cup-2014-draws-almost-19-million-v.html
    2015- 1.7mil total viewers
    http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/201...-distinction-of-being-least-watched-ever.html
    2016- 3.55mil total viewers
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016...record-most-watched-title-game-league-history

So I'm not off in anything I said. One of the main reason MLS playoff numbers haven't been bigger is because of market foot print. You get about 28-30 teams you will pull similarly to NHL numbers. NHL justified their $200 mil/yr TV contract by drawing big playoff numbers as their season average was/is only about 200-300k. I think that is a nice progress marker. As the league adds more teams you will see increases in viewership just by sheer increase in market size. The leauge can simply do that without marketly increasing in polularity. Of course the leagues popularity is growing but simply stating put polularity aside as the league adds more markets grow so will TV viewer ship.

22. DanielCzech

DanielCzech Member

Mar 10, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    You underestimate NHL play-off numbers.

The complete Stanley Cup Playoffs averaged 1.4 million viewers across NBC Sports TV and digital outlets last season.

And the most watched NHL game last season earned 7 millions viewers (only in USA).

23. s1xoburn

s1xoburn Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I really hope this happens, but there is really nothing in the history of MLS TV ratings to justify this. MLS has expanded dramatically over the past decade or so and TV ratings haven't gone up. According to a previous post on this thread, MLS TV ratings for 2017 were 263,465. In 2007, a decade ago, MLS averaged 289k on ESPN 2 and 282k on telefutura. (According to wikipedia). These things might not be directly comparable (I believe the games were on Thursdays back then), but TV ratings have been flat at best despite impressive growth in other areas of the league. You would assume that increasing the number of markets would increase viewership (and maybe it does!), but at best you are arguing that the drop in ratings would be larger if it wasn't for expansion.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea