The 2013 Matchday Thread [Jun 08 SEA --> Jun 15 NE]

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, May 2, 2013.

1. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We don't have a lot of traffic in this forum, so rather than attempting to start 2-4 post threads about individual matches, I propose putting "matchday" things in one thread. I can update the title every week to reflect the current/next opponents.

It makes sense to me, but the proof is in the pudding: if we all use it, it's working, if not, we can just go back to the individual game threads - I just like the idea of the continuity of one thread (especially since there are only a dozen people or so who contribute to this forum).

2. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I thought the match against Edmonton had a few interesting storylines:

Mattocks gets pulled - I think Rennie still believes in Mattocks, and the early sub was to save Mattocks for RSL on Saturday, but if I were Martin, I'd have let Mattocks play to the 65 to see if he can snag a goal, and to let Mattocks hear some applause from the fans coming off the pitch. (I know I would have cheered him - he had a pretty good game.) Pulling him on the half just seems bad all around. Mattocks needs confidence.

What do we make of Heinemann? - I'm still not convinced about this guy. His workrate is incredible, but I think that he has very little technical ability. But maybe that won't matter. I don't have a lot of technical ability, but I do quite well against better player because I don't try to do anything mindblowing on the ball - I don't have any highlights, but I don't have any errors. Maybe that's enough to get Heinemann on the pitch and producing. And his vertical ability helped a lot against Edmonton.

Leveron ate all the pies - He's not fat, exactly (that's the AR in the south end), but he doesn't look fit either. Didn't wow me, didn't make any errors that I saw. Better than Rusin?

3. black_jack71

black_jack71 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MOD NOTE: Moved from Edmonton match thread to Matchday thread. May 4 vs RSL.

Well that was a painful half to watch. Neither team could get ANYTHING going going forward, to me that half showed a couple things. Hertzog should not be playing as a lone striker, and Kobayashi needs to be playing centrally. Rennie continues to baffle with some of the ways that he deploys players and uses tactics. It's clear to even the most casual fan that Koba needs to be in the middle of the park. Also, why is there such a huge gap between the striker and the attacking mids? There is far too much talent on this squad for them to perform like this, hopefully they can turn it around in the second half.

4. Brittania

Brittania Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Another disjointed performance. It seems like nobody wants to step up and MR doesn't know who to be confident with or where to use them. The players seem like a bunch of tweeners. I was one of the only ones who was disapointed to see Barry Robson leave. I think this team could use a good dose of Robson.

The Caps record after August 15, 2012 has been awful. Time for some personnel changes?

5. black_jack71

black_jack71 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    For the love of god no more roster changes. That has been one of the bigger problems with the whitecaps. Rennie makes changes seemingly just for fun, he is always preaching about how deep the squad is, but just because you have alot of talented players it doesnt mean that constantly have to be changing things around. The talent is there, they need time to gel as a unit and to gain confidence as a group. The only way to do that is fore Rennie to stop with the constant tinkering. Also, I really believe Kenny Miller will do absolute wonders for this team when he eventually returns. He makes the runs to get on the end of those little crosses and passes into the box and is a proven finisher.

Maybe it is time to start looking at other options on the coaching staff, but please no more roster moves.

Also, I cannot see Robson and Reo-Coker being able to co-exist in that midfield. Those two would be squabbling back and forth between each other all game long.

6. Brittania

Brittania Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with the no more roster changes, MR needs to pick an 11 and go with it. There is likely to be changes though. It will be interesting to see if what happens if Salgado and Miller can ever stay healthy.

You never know, Robson and Reo - Coker could have been Schweinsteiger-Robben together.

7. black_jack71

black_jack71 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    So any thoughts on the game against LA coming up? What will the Caps needs to do to get the win? Who might we see in the 11 this time around?

It will be interesting to see if the game against RSL served as a wake up call for the Caps, who have a tough one against the Galaxy coming up. The backline needs to step it up and will have there hands full with Keane, Mgee and Donovan. Really hope Knighton gets a chance this time out, Rennie seems to change around everyone except Cannon, who has been as poor a performer as anyone who he is constantly swapping out.

Offensively this team is a mystery to me. They have all the talent in the world going forward and everything you need to have an explosive offense but they just seem to lack a bit of confidence and cohesiveness. Too many times this year we have seen the final ball not match the run being made or a final pass being just out of reach.

Tactically I think it is time to try out something a little different because Rennie's 4-2-3-1 just isn't working. A couple things I would like to see would be: 4-3-3 with Manneh and Camilo on the wings OR give Montreal's 4-1-4-1 a shot.

What I would like to see for the 11 on Saturday:

4-1-4-1

Knighton
    Lee---O'Brien---Leveron---Rochat
    NRC
    Camilo---Koba---Koffie---Manneh
    Mattocks

What I think we will see:

Cannon
    Davidson---NRC
    Camilo---Koffie---Koba
    Mattocks

I will add that the game against RSL was honestly the first time I can say that I believe Koffie has played poorly in over a year. You can tell his confidence is shot and his timing is off, I really hope that Rennie has him starting more consistently moving forward because he is a HUGE part of the present and future of this team.

My prediction for the how the game goes and the score:

The Caps have always played the Galaxy really well at home(save for the 4-0 drubbing back at Empire Field). I think the team will come out firing and motivated after the past few disappointing results. NRC will boss this game and lead the team to a 2-1 victory, Mattocks and NRC will score the goals for the Caps and Mcgee for the Galaxy. With a 2-1 lead late the Caps will survive a huge push from the Galaxy and hold on, they will take confidence from the result and back on form.

There's an optimists prediction anyway!

Would love to hear from everyone, Yes even you MeMeMeMe.

8. black_jack71

black_jack71 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Well, good game from the caps. Great performance from Teibert and O'Brien specifically. I still feel there is more in this team though, the first half was pretty anemic and really they scored on all there good chances in the 2nd half (which is a positive). defensively they were much better, especially there marking in the box which has been dismal this year and there aggressiveness in the air. A little concerning for both Daigo and NRC to go off injured, hopefully they make a full recovery for next week.

Really liked the change to a 4-3-3, even though it plays similar to the 4-2-3-1 that the Caps usually deploy it just seemed a little more fluent. However I really think if your going to use that formation you need a little more speed on the wings, throw Hurtado or preferably Manneh on one of the wings maybe. Also, any more news on the Miller injury? His return will push this team over the top I think, the biggest thing this team is missing is someone who can make good runs runs. Mattocks tries but his timing is terrible and he often picks the wrong lane to run through.

Looking forward to the clash with MTL just hope they use certain players at the expense of next weekends league game.

9. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i was shocked at the starting lineup, what with teibert and manneh on the bench and JMD back in his defensive role--a negative line up IMO which led to LA dominating the first half-- unfortunately for koba, but teibert should have been on from the beginning, along with manneh--

but another dynamo performance by NRC who drove this team on and he really connected well with teibert, something that rarely happens with mattocks who seems to have little soccer intelligence with his runs and passing... but i was happy to see him get a goal--maybe his time is coming

there should now be no question that teibert has earned his spot in the starting 11- miller is sorely needed on the attack

OB and koffie (lost in the first half, strong in the second half) were strong performers

another BIG positive for the caps was their ability to be strong on crosses and corner kicks, an achilles heel for most of the season-- cannon was quite solid in goal, although his kicking can be a nightmare and rarely will defenders pass it back- a wise decision

bringing both harvey and rusin on as subs were strange additions as it sent a message that the caps ahead 2-0 would be willing to let LA attack and control the game-- it could have cost us dearly like 2012-- but a wonderful ending

who wouldn't go home happy?? no one more than teibert!!

10. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    MTX more than Teibert. ;) Did you see all the Caps go over and hugs MTX at the goal and again after the game? hahaha Everyone knew how frustrated he was.

But WHAT a coming out party for Teibert. (And please ignore the TV guy - do NOT call him Mr. T! What makes most Canadian sportscaster soooooo lame?)

11. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Its awesome seeing Teibert come into form. I'll admit in the first few games he played this season he still seemed a bit over his head, but his confidence continues to grow, and he is working well with Reo-Coker.

I really hope the goal for Mattocks gets that monkey off his back, I've never seen him so dejected and lost all game, finding himself in offside positions way too often, especially for someone with his speed. Loved how he ran over and high fived Rennie after his goal. If he is able to turn his season around and start finishing chances, we're in for a good run.

Reo-Coker, Teibert, and O'Brien.. its a toss up for MOTM. Thought Leveron looked solid in the back, and felt bad for Rusin being tossed in at midfield, however Rennie did not have a lot of options with RC calling for a sub, and Diago already out. Had to put in a ball winner rather than Manneh, although Manneh would have been exciting. Great time for the Caps to show up this season with the stands full of casual fans out for the big team (LA) Hope they keep coming, and the caps keep winning.

EDIT: Joe Cannon.... I do not know how at this level you cannot take accurate goal kicks or punts. Frustrating to watch, however he came out better this game and I believe is still a better shot stopper than Knighton. Hopefully that young Canadian Simon develops well

12. MeMeMeMeMe

MeMeMeMeMe New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    another brilliant post from sportie1

13. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agreed. Good post. Except that with a 2-0 lead, making a few defensive subs certainly made sense to me. And I think Leveron was brilliant and deserved mention.

14. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

you are right about leveron-- he was solid and the caps did defend much better on cross balls and corner kicks--it was the best i have seen from the caps this year-- maybe leveron's calmness and quality ball skills and reading the game allows OB to take care of his own position and not have to cover for others so much-- rusin gives 100%, but does not have the quality that leveron has

u might be right about the defensive additions of harvey and rusin as it allowed koffie, NRC and teibert to press ahead and get the 3rd goal by mattocks, assisted by harvey and koffie!

2 games in a row where the first half was dreary, but the second half was wonderful entertainment

15. black_jack71

black_jack71 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    So.... Does this spell the end for Rennie?

ANOTHER huge disappointment in the V-Cup, this team continues to baffle me... One of the most talented groups of players in MLS yet they just cannot seem to get the job done for one reason or another. What else can one do other than go in a different direction manager wise? MR strength is not as a coach, if only soccer was similar to other sports and we could hire Rennie on as general manager as he is very good at recruiting quality players from around the world. His tactics however are baffling, something as simple as having a man on the posts on a corner. He fails to get the best out of the talent he has and often makes bizzare decisions when it comes to player management. Look at a team like Montreal, they have 13-14 players that get into the starting 11, I realize that depth is important but having depth does not mean using it when it isnt needed. Have we seen the same 11 two games in a row all year? I doubt it. It is frusterating beyond belief when MR sends out Heinnaman or Hertzog or Watson etc... the reasoning behind it being his catch phrase "they had a good week in training" or something along those lines.

I hate to harp on this as it has been discussed here before BUT, when is MR going to realize that DAVIDSON IS NOT A MIDFIELDER! its hard to watch the Caps get overrun in midfield because MR plays really just Reo-Coker and Koffie in the midfield. Camilo and Teibert are wingers and Davidson is essentially a centerback. He completely stalls any offensive momentum if the ball comes through him and he totally panics if he has to hit a pass more than 10 yards or one through the air. The Caps problem is getting bossed in possession most games because they are playing pretty much a 5-2-3. I honestly would rather have Watson or Rochat play in CM than Davidson.

Before the start of this year I have been a Rennie supporter, but they way he has wasted the talent he has at his disposal this year is inexcusable.

Changes I would make:

1) Bring in a new head coach who does everything tactics wise. Picks the team, formation, mid game adjustments etc... possibly retain Rennie as "Manager" so he can use his recruitment skills and deal with the press and all that.

2) Bring in a midfielder, box to box player to team up with Koffie and Reo-Coker. Someone who comes to mind is Atiba Hutchinson? What a get that would be for the Caps.

3) Bring in a Keeper, Rumours about David Ousted? Don't know much about him but very expirienced in Europe and hopefully would be signing on as the starter for this team. Release Cannon and use Knighton as the back up.

4) Pick a team and give them some run together.. My choice:

Ousted
    Koffie---Hutchinson---Reo-Coker
    Teibert---Camilo---Miller

This is in a perfect world and I realize that it is very unlikely but one can dream. Use Manneh, Hurtado, Koba as late game offensive subs. Watson, Harvey as Defensive ones.

Camilo and Miller interchanging and almost playing as two strikers while Teibert as more of a narrow winger who cuts in on his left foot and helps connect the midfield and front line.

If the squad stays as is...

Knighton
    Teibert---Koffie---Reo-Coker
    Koba---Camilo---Miller

While Koba is clearly more suited to a #10 role, he can get away with being on the wing with the interchanging nature of this team. All six of those players can swap and cover each other playing sort of a false 9.

At this point I could care less what they do with Mattocks with the way Camilo is playing as an actual striker (finally given the chance under Rennie). I have been a well documented supporter of Mattocks but his play has fizzled even more lately and at this point Miller and Camilo are better options up top with Hurtado and Manneh more than capable of playing there as well.

Anyways I'm rambling. Please forgive me for this post being kind of all over the place and very long. It was born mostly out of frustration of tonights loss and this season in general. Would love to hear what everyone else thinks on this.

Black_Jack

16. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Interesting couple of articles here by Beresford and Weber. Beresford nails the problem on Wednesday night, that's also part of the bigger problem at the moment with the WC, and there's not much reading between the lines required for Weber's article:

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/05/29/whitecaps-fall-at-final-hurdle-again/
    http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/05/30/rennie-confident-hell-have-season-to-turn-whitecaps-around/

I agree with blackjack71 that MR's tactics are baffling. Beresford covers the Jordan Harvey sub, so I won't labour that here. Suffice it to say it was a foolish move and was one thing that helped cost them the game. But consider these points as well about MR's player management and selection.:
    • Since the beginning of the year (and before) MR has spent a lot of time and energy "remolding" players like Camilo, Teibert and Salgado to play in positions where they haven't traditionally played. But both Teibert and Camilo have looked most impressive lately in their old positions of winger and center forward. Salgado is injured, so we don't know for sure, but one would think if he was healthy, he'd be playing on the wing. That would be a crying shame since he's a center forward, and especially with his added bulk, a prototypical big target man.
    • Darren Mattocks, a slight player with speed, is the one who's been forced to play target this year, with another typical target man--Heinemen--on the bench most games. In a physical league like the MLS, how does it make sense to play a 5'10" 155 lb speedster as a target forward, expected to slog it out in the trenches against 6'0" 180 lb centerbacks, to hold up the ball? No wonder Mattocks can't find his groove.
    • Kobayashi comes to the team as a clear creative #10, but MR plays him consistently on the wing, even though the only time Koba makes an impact--either scoring or moving the ball to others--is when he drifts to the middle, the classic #10 position.
    Maybe what's needed is not "creative" player selections, and to "rebuild" players, a la the Russell Teibert Project, but simply to let players play where their experience and natural attributes would dictate they should, and coach them in how to play THAT position better. Maybe doing that would lead to players knowing their roles and developing some chemistry.

Set pieces have also been a serious problem for the WC--a problem partially solved by Camilo's form lately. But they lack movement and creativity on attacking set pieces (corner kicks especially), and they lack organization (marking) on defensive ones. Both of those are squarely down to coaching--the head coach and/or his assistants. Those are plays that can and should be developed on the practice field, and can even be diagrammed and executed, in the case of offensive free kicks from distance and corners.

The first Montreal goal last night was more luck than anything else (good for Montreal, bad for the WC), but the second one illustrates my point exactly. Oduro and a team-mate ran a perfectly executed pick on O'Brien, using one of the WC markers as an unwitting participant. If that wasn't a set play that the Impact practiced in training, I'll eat my laptop. At the same time, the goal could still have been defended if the WC had done what my house league coach told me to do--"Stand inside the post, and don't leave till the ball's cleared." The fact that they don't have men on the post regularly speaks to a haphazard approach to set-pieces that shows itself in fire-drill defending, and lots of goals conceded. Imposing order is squarely the job of the coaches.

Rennie has made some good moves, but he has also made some consistent (and to my mind, basic) errors that have affected the team's performance. I say give him till the end of the year to learn from, and change his approach in those areas. If he can't or won't, it's time to move on.

17. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    very insightful writing and most of it i totally agree with, including keeping MR for the rest of the season-- hopefully he is learning to stop fooling around with the players' positions and assignments-- it is baffling sometimes to the fans and undoubtedly, the players; not covering the far post on corner licks is very naive to say the least!!

but IMO, mattocks is a lost cause and should be moved further down the bench-- enough time and patience has been spent with no return-- manneh and hurtado bring more to the plate-- subbing on harvey was an admission that the caps should play defensive soccer for the last 25 minutes and let montreal control the game... which they did!! (manneh should have been brought in) and mattocks should never have been subbed on- i thought heineman should have been subbed in as he can disrupt the other teams defence, win headers and create some havoc--

further, i hope MR has learned that his game away approach is far too negative and he needs to stick with his starting 11 and let the other team worry about the caps-- he plays too defensive IMO

as my dad always said, a good defence is a good offence

BUT i still believe that the caps can become a good team, a playoff team and stop giving up soft goals... IF MR starts his best team game in-game out-- but his propensity and stubbornness to make constant, defensive-minded lineups could be his undoing- the choice is his

18. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ROAD WIN. Finally!

19. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Should I read something in to YP Lee coming off the bench or was that a one time rest following Canadian Championship?

20. black_jack71

black_jack71 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I think surely just a rest, If I remember correctly YP wanted to play in less of the road games this year. Seems funny to bring him on the trip if your not going to start him though... However I shouldn't complain as he turned this game on its head when he came in.

cloak repped this.
  21. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Black Jack hit the nail on the head. YP Lee didn't have to renew his option. The Whitecaps got him to exercise the seoncd-year by promising him he would get rest on East Coast roadtrips. This was reported by marc Weber at the Province in the off-season.

I think what you saw tonight is EXACTLY why you bring him on the road trips. Think of it this way: Klazura and Harvey started today. If Lee is NOT on the bench, WHO IS ON THE BENCH?! Scary stuff because with DeMerit out, we are ridiculously thin on defense.

22. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Great win for the WC against NY. For once the luck went their way. Camilo seems to have gained confidence from goals scored recently. Hopefully players like Teibert will too from this game, and will cross and shoot more often. Although there's a ways to go judging from the sitter Teibert missed late in the game.

I read elsewhere that upper management and ownership sat down to have a "discussion" with Rennie about tactics and the team's direction after the ACC second leg. Has anyone heard anything specific? Is Rennie getting being pressured from on high within the club?

23. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i hope some people have sat down with MR to discuss his team and game tactics- sometimes he makes strange, naive decisions that have cost us significant points, the latest example was his subs that came on vs montreal-- defensive tactics that allowed montreal to push forward and tie the game; the decision to not place a defender on the far post for the tieing goal; his constant changing of the lineup for the first 2 1/2 months; his decision to allow injured players like miller, salgado and de merit to play too soon, thus prolonging their injuries; his decision to keep on playing mattocks and davidson, both weak players, especially mattocks who truly is a lost cause

and yet having said all this, i want the caps to keep MR and let him finish this season- he is very stubborn, but perhaps some pressure from upper management will cause him to rethink and do some common sense stuff that will bring better results-- he needed to brought to task and hopefully make better decisions-- nothing wrong with that IMO-- he still can be a good coach at the MLS level, but he will need to be able to listen to others' input to improve

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    if only the caps management were open to highly promoting BIG games (like vs LA, Portland and seattle) and taking the risk to open up to 27 000 seats... but they continue to think small IMO and the interest does not grow like it has in seattle