The 2010 Chelsea Pre-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Dear_Claudio, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's July and the World Cup is winding down, so I thought it would be a good time to focus on our beloved club once again. It's so great to see Chelsea will be playing an actual game in just over 2 weeks:eek::D

This year, the club is forgoing a trip to the USA (or the Far East) and instead traveling to to Northern Europe to play some quality competition.

Saturday, 17 July - @ Crystal Palace (15:00 BST | 10:00am EDT)
    Friday, 23 July - @ Ajax (20:00 BST | 3:00pm EDT)
    Sunay, 1 August - @ Eintracht Frankfurt (15:00 BST | 10:00am EDT)
    Wednesday, 4 August - @ Hamburger SV (20:00 BST | 10:00 EDT)

Only 4 friendlies this year, iirc we played 5 last year. However, the Community Shield is basically a glorified friendly so I've stuck it in here. Since we won the double and can't play ourselves, some crap team from Manchester will be the opponent.

Sunday, August 8 - FA Community Shield @ Wembley vs. Manchester United (15:00 BST | 10:00am EDT)

2. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    You guys have no idea how much i've missed chelsea. Anyone know if these friendlies will be showed on tv in the US?

3. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They are exclusive to Chelsea TV so if you can get Chelsea TV in your market then you can see them. I believe people outside the UK can additionaly sign up to some kind of web based subscription.

4. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Can't we play a proper side and face our Youth side, I mean they won the FA Youth Cup, and seeing as Man U only won that little carling cup (which means nothing unless we win it :))....I don't see why they should be REWARDED by being honoured in sharing the pitch with us?

:cool:

5. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Outstanding suggestion, I-got. The FA Youth Cup winners should definitely face the Double winners.

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    :) Just let the youth play in the league as well, unlike some who suggest to have Celtic and Rangers join.

7. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    I would literally LOL if that ever happens.

8. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Dont let Monkee see this as his head will probably come right off but its FANTASTIC to see Essien up and running again! Heres to the first day of training camp!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Essien and Mikel training. Awesome.

10. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see Sheva and Deco up and running...........

11. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Anyone knows if essien 100% healthy yet?

12. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hes not quite there with the rest of the squad.

[​IMG]

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2084852,00.html

13. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Kinda forgot that Petr had hair........

14. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    He should really lose the helmet already.

15. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think the best part is we have a manager who was with us the season before:

[​IMG]

16. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because clearly, as people who know NOTHING about his actual condition, you can make a statement like that.

17. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How about Jose, is his recovery on track?

I almost forget how good he is (and how, if he's fit he strengthens our back 4 especially by allowing Ivan to play more often in the middle).

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think a lot of people forget just how major the injury to Essien was last season. When healthy I think he's our best player. I really think he's the engine in midfield for us when he's able to play in that central role. If you look at the season before last, I don't think it was any coincidence that we floundered a bit until he came back healthy and we were able to make a run at the league and CL.

19. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed, if he didn't go and get himself hurt even worse (thank you African Cup of Nations) we probably would've won the league with MUCH more ease.

Him and Bosingwa's absences hurt the team (even with Ivanovic doing a fantastic job deputizing).

20. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I think it's just me when I say that I don't believe he is our best player. One of our best? Absolutely, and is capable of having MOTM performances any given match, but at the moment I still think he has some parts of his game to work on.

Part of the problem is that he hasn't been able to find his position yet, which is mostly the management's fault, and his fault as well because he is so damn versatile! And no I don't think versatility alone makes the best player.

I'm definitely on the fence and I would love for him to just have one more full season to tip me over.

Don't take this as me selling him short. I love him and everything he's done for the club so far. I just can't quite explain why I feel this way.

21. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    I reckon you believe our best player is drogba. am i right?

22. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Define best. Best pure scorer? Drogba. Best all-around? Could very well be Essien (maybe Lamps). If he regains proper form, he will be the club's biggest offseason "acquisition."

23. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    This. Haven't heard any news regarding him in a very long time.

24. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I believe the article from the official site says that Bos did not participate in training and is hoping to be fit for the opening game.

25. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    best player, both because in my opinion of what makes an all-around Footballer he is, and because he is the one player if you take out we unravel and look like a different lesser team...Supah

Your Messi's, Ronaldo's, etc. look spectacular attacking and goals always of importence, but if you take them out, the teams often still win and get by, you take your Lampard's, Xavi's now perhaps Sneijdar's out and it more often all goes belly up