The 2004-5 Livorno Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Clubs' started by SueB, Nov 3, 2004.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Guess nobody had started one for Livorno. Now that they've won 3 straight Serie A games, I guess they deserve one. They went from being surefire relegation material to midtable with wins over Bologna, Palermo and Brescia. Can they keep it up? I hope not.

Next test is Sunday at Cagliari.

2. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    you hope not?, are you anti-livorno??...it must be politics..

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Not really that as much as being a Reggina fan. I normally love to see small teams do well, but at the same time I have to hope a certain number of teams do worse than Reggina!

4. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I kinda had the feeling that Livorno had a good fight in them when I saw their performance at San Siro on Day 1, but they had seemingly crumbled after that. Now they are back. With the passion of the livornesi, foremost Lucarelli, I think they can survive the drop.

Since this is the Livorno thread, are you guys familiar with the book "Tenetevi il miliardo (or something like that)?" It's about Lucarelli turning down a contract with Torino which would have paid him about a billion old lire (approx $500,000) more a year, in favor of helping his hometime side get promoted. The promo of the book was something to the effect of "Some players buy a Ferrari, some a yacht. I chose to buy a jersey," referring to the fact that it was more important for him to wear the shirt of his hometown than to make money at a bigger club. Pretty amazing story in today's business-calcio. I had the chance to pick up the book when I was in Italy this fall, but glanced through a couple of pages and didn't really get into it. Still, the story is worth noting.

5. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    that does sound like an interesting book, I remember him scoring a lot for Lecce a few yrs ago...the cynical part of me thinks that he's at Livorno in part to pad his scoring #s (may not have been a clear starter at torino) and land a bigger payday down the line....

6. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    7/11/04

At halftime Cagiliari and Livorno are tied 0-0.

7. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    7/11/04

FINAL:
    Cagiliari: 0
    Livorno: 0

8. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    FINAL:
    Livorno: 1
    Lazio: 0

9. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    FINAL:
    Fiorentina: 1
    Livorno: 1

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    After dropping down to 15th, hovering dangerously above the relegation zone, Livorno has fired head coach Franco Colomba and replaced him with Roberto Donadoni. Donadoni coached Livorno two years ago in their first season back in Serie B.

11. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    always liked donadoni, my favorite early metrostars player...

He's taken on a mountain of a task here tho, perhaps if he can lead them to safety he'd raise his coaching rep...

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Well, Donadoni's off to a good start with two wins in two games, including last weekend's huge 1-0 victory over Milan. That must've been a thrill for him. I'm still amazed this team is doing as well as they are in Serie A this season - 10th in the table, taking the season series from the defending champs (won at home, drew away).

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Livorno looks to continue their good form at Chievo in today's early match.
    Two changes expected from the side which beat Milan last week. Midfielder Alessandro Doga is injured and will be replaced by Andrea Giallombardo. Roberto Donadoni might also prefer Frenchman Marc Pfertzel ahead of David Balleri on the right side of midfield. Projected lineup for the game in Verona:

Amelia; Galante, Vargas, A. Lucarelli; Pfertzel, Vigiani, Passoni, Vidigal, Giallombardo; Colombo, C. Lucarelli.

14. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    On the transfer front, Livorno has acquired Brazilian U-20 striker Paulo Sergio Betanin ("Paulinho") from Esporte Juventude. He'll be available after Feb 6. Also, Czech Mario Licka has joined the club.

Meanwhile, young attacker Nicolo Rossetti has been loaned to Serie C2 club Aglianese.

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Donadoni preferred Balleri to Pfertzel after all, while Vidigal was a late scratch with the flu. His place taken by Claudio Grauso.

Corrado Colombo has already had the ball in the net for Livorno after 15 minutes, but the play was called back for offside. Sounds like it was a marginal call.

16. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Full-time score: Chievo 1 Livorno 0

A big comedown for Donadoni and Livorno after the heights of the last two weeks.

17. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  18. special_dilivio

special_dilivio New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    hi ... i'm gonna be in italy the weekend of april 9-10, and am hoping to go to a game. one option, based on the region i'll be visiting, would be fiorentina at livorno. anyone know if this is a tough ticket, and/or anything else about seeing a game at livorno?

just found these italy boards and love them. perfect compliment to getting goltv this month!

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Welcome to the boards.

I'm afraid that might be a tough ticket to come by since it's a Tuscan derby and there are sure to be a lot of travelling Fiorentina supporters at the game. Livorno's stadium is also pretty small with a capacity of only 18200.

On the other hand, it looks like you might be able to order tickets on-line:

http://www.ticketone.it/jumpNews.asp?idChannel=320&idNews=12390&idLang=IT&idUser=0&idPerf=1523498

But tickets for this game are not available for sale yet.

If you go to www.livornocalcio.it and click on "Acquisti Biglietti", there is also a list of locations around Livorno with tickets for sale, if you want to wait till you're there. But again, it might be sold out by then.

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  21. special_dilivio

Mar 9, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks for the help, Sue. Seems like you run a good board here.

I couldn't figure out when the tix go on sale online ... could you?

FYI, other games in the north-central-ish part of the country I think I could get to that weekend ...

Lazio at Bologna
    Milan at Siena
    Palermo at Sampdoria
    Reggina at Roma

22. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I don't know when they go on sale, but I noticed the previous home game's tickets (weekend after this) are not on sale yet either, and this weekend's away game, though listed there, said ticketes aren't available through that site.

Your best bet among that list of games in terms of ease of getting tickets is definitely the game in Rome. They rarely sell out the massive Stadio Olimpico except for really big games. The Bologna-Lazio game might be relatively easy to get tickets to as well. Siena's stadium is tiny, and I think Sampdoria-Palermo will be a hot ticket with both clubs doing so well this year.

23. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    FYI, Livorno fans...
    (Do I hear an echo? :p )
    Sky Sports Italia is showing an excellent 1-hour program about Livorno, called 'Controluce: Livorno.' It's about the history of the team, the fans, the politics, the heated rivalries with Fiorentina and especially Pisa, and the present team, Protti and Lucarelli in particular. Really really good stuff. Good storytelling on a human level, not just stats and highlights.
    'Course it helps if you understand Italian and get Italian Sky. :eek:

24. special_dilivio

Mar 9, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Hey Sue (and any other interested readers),

I got tickets for a game in Italy during my trip there -- at Delle Alpi for the Champions League game vs. Liverpool on the 13th. I'm VERY excited ...

Not sure if I'll also try to see a Serie A game on the 10th.

Thanks again for the help.

25. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    WOW! That ought to be interesting to say the least. Be prepared to see a lot of extra security at that game. And don't wear red. :D