The 2003-4 Parma thread [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by 352gialloblu, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    As the CL beckons, I wonder whether Parma Calcio will even be alive next season. I read on the wires the other day that Parma had something like 300 million euros of debt and, consequently, no potential buyers. It would seem the club should just be liquidated, based on the balance sheet.

Allycks, any news from Parma on the financial front?

2. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    I heard the same figure as you Parmigiano, about 300 million. Bad, but not quite as bad as it seems. Every club has debt in Serie A, even Juve isn't safe from the red ink anymore. If a prospective owner comes along, it won't be somebody who's looking to make a profit... because no team makes a profit in Italy. It'll be someone with tons of money who wants to put him or herself in the spotlight. And what's more, any serious prospective buyer would probably be helped by the courts to chop up, spread out, and generally limit the impact of the big debt.
    Naturally the chances of that type of person coming along would be helped mightily if we made the Champions League.

If we beat Inter on Sunday, and Lazio loses or ties, WE ARE IN!!!

3. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    "Beat Inter to Survive"

Just adding to the drama (melodrama) factor here.

http://it.sports.yahoo.com/040506/2/2rzxj.html

"Beat Inter to Survive"
    Arrigo Sacchi says, 'Beating Inter on Sunday is almost a question of survival for Parma.' A victory 'would allow us to better manage in the future, would be a prize for all we've been through this season.'
    And when asked about the problem of Prandelli (probably) going to Juventus?
    Sacchi: 'After all we've been through, it's like asking an earthquake survivor if he's afraid of a little rain...'

4. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    good stuff, allycks. i'm praying to the tortellini gods that parma can find a decent owner. meantime, victory against inter would be awesome. too bad i can't get down there from prague this weekend for the match.

5. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Inter-Parma 1-0

Oh well. Adriano really came back and bit us in the arse, didn't he?
    It was an ugly, tense game on both sides. Too bad.

There is, however, still a minimal hope for Champions League, going into the last game of the season...

6. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    "Russian Group Set to Buy Parma AC."

Yeah, it's the talk of the town. Probably too good to be true.

http://it.sports.yahoo.com/040513/212/2sbat.html

"Russian Group Set to Buy Parma AC"

Parma could soon pass into Russian hands. Yesterday at Parmalat Financial headquarters in Milan, there occured a meeting for the sale of the squad to a Russian group of investors. The deal could go down within a week. The negotiations are being followed by Italian Finance Minister Marzano, to his presumed satisfaction. The Russians would take on the club's debt, and pay another 50 million Euros in cash to take over the club. It seems they have an ambitious project in mind. The only condition of sale would be that Parma keep coach Cesare Prandelli for the next season.

7. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Re: 5th place means UEFA (No Champions, No Cry)

So we came up one point short of the Champions League. Still, it has to be said that we had an awesome, even inspirational season. I guess that's obvious by now to anyone who follows the gialloblu.

And what about super-Gila?
    Four goals vs. Udinese, which put him at 22 for the season. Second only to Shevchenko. Trapatoni's gotta be thinking about taking the kid to Portugal, especially considering the injury issues that Inzaghi has.

8. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Any more news about Russians taking over?

9. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    "Parma awaits Prandelli and the Russians"

Here's an article from the esteemed 'Gazzetta di Parma.'

http://www.gazzettadiparma.it/gazzetta/sito/Instweb.nsf

Says that there was a third meeting with the Russians yesterday, though their exact identity has yet to be revealed. Apparently the offer was upped from 50 million euros to 100 million, plus debt coverage. It also mentions the possibility that Parma could eventually break off completely from Parmalat and essentially go it solo. I find that hard to believe, but stranger things have happened.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Tonino Sorrentino scored a hat trick for Italy's U-19 team today. He plays for Avellino in Serie B, but is apparently on loan from Parma. Any chance he'll be the next Gilardino-type star to come through Parma's development system?

11. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Sorrentino seems like a talent, remember he scored a couple of goals for us early in the year in the UEFA Cup, before being loaned to Avellino. There will also be more playing time for Rosina next year, a very Miccoli-like player who just scored a 'doppieta' for the Italia U-21 vs Poland last week.

12. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    That would be a shocker for sure!
    I've always admired the brand of football that Zeman teaches--ball possession and attack, though his latest results have been less than stellar. Here's a theory: maybe Sacchi and co. think Sorrentino really is the next big thing, and want to bring him in with the coach who tutored him this season at Avellino. Seems like a stretch, but you never know.

13. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Keep up the Russian news, Allycks! What a dream that would be if some Abramovich type sent us back to the glory days.

As for Zeman, I'd rather Prandelli stays, even if I like the Bohemian. And with Deschamps now apparently a lock to take over at Juve, perhaps Prandelli's chances of staying are better...

14. mattyc2422

mattyc2422 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Melbourne
    Our man, Bresciano just scored from a Free Kick just outside the box against New Zealand in the OFC Nations Cup.

15. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Prandelli to Roma

Prandelli has signed a three-year deal with Roma. Gilardino and Ferrari may soon follow.

16. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Prandelli to Roma

Sorry...but we'd love to have him and Ferrari too.

Alberto Gilardino has come out of his silence and confessed he’ll favour a reunion with Cesare Prandelli at Roma.

“I have a dream,” revealed the Parma hitman, “and that is to play alongside Francesco Totti and Antonio Cassano with Prandelli as the Coach.”

The Under-21 international was speaking after Italy’s crucial 2-1 win over Serbia Montenegro last night.

Gilardino, who bagged 23 Serie A goals under Prandelli’s guidance this season, had already been heavily linked to both Juventus and Roma.

But the club’s decision to appoint former Gialloblu boss Prandelli as a replacement for Fabio Capello seems to have swayed his decision towards the Capital.

“I have always said,” concluded the transfer hot property, “that I will reveal my future only after the Championships.”

The 22-year-old would be available for a relatively affordable £9m and recent reports suggest Juve have dropped their interest in him in order to go for Christian Vieri of Inter or Ajax hitman Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

17. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Re: "Parma awaits Prandelli and the Russians"

Hard to believe? Really? I feel the opposite. Given the mess that Parmalat is in right now, they're going to have to sell Parma. It's business 101; milk / dairy / food is their core comptenancy, not entertainment/footy. I'd be suprised to see Parma not be spun off or sold during the next year.

18. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Re: Prandelli to Roma

I'd rather see him as a bianconeri ;)

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Benny Carbone just signed a 4-year contract with Catanzaro of Serie B. I assume this is a free transfer because I didn't see any mention of a fee for Parma and because I doubt Catanzaro can afford to spend much. Sounds like Carbone is just heading home to play out his career.

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT