The 12:00 Eastern EPL Games

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MasterShake29, Nov 15, 2004.

1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season, FSW would show the second best EPL game played at the standard time (10:00 Eastern on Saturday) at noon. This year, with the EPL adding a game at 12:15 Eastern, they show that live instead. This is all well and good, but sometimes it seems that the second best 10:00 game is often better than the one played at noon. For example, for the next two weeks:

November 20:
    PPV: Middlesbrough v Liverpool
    2nd choice: Arsenal v West Bromwich (will air at 3:00 on FSW)
    noon: Portsmouth v Manchester City

November 27:
    PPV: West Bromwich v Manchester United (who did WBA tick off in the scheduling office?)
    2nd choice: Charlton Athletic v Chelsea
    noon: Manchester City v Aston Villa

Now, as someone who is not a fan of any particular team, I'd rather see the 2nd choice 10:00 game on two hour delay than the one airing live at noon. But that's just me.

Also, airing a taped game which would finish "on time" would allow a game to start on time at 2:00, so for example FSW could air a French game at 2:00 live.

2. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    I'd much rather see live matches than taped ones where I usually know the outcome. Delaying 10:00AM matches is fine with me.

West Brom just happens to be playing all of the big clubs right now. Charlton is going through the same thing over the next two weeks and I think the Palace match the following week is PPV.

As for the French matches, well, they've not excided too much this season. I'll take the tape-delayed 10:00AM EPL match.

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with live over taped in most cases, but since there's a game at 10:00 to watch on America's 2nd soccer channel (PPV being 1st of course) and it's only a 2 hour delay it's reasonably easy to avoid spoilers.

I could do without the French league as well, I would have preferred FSW kept the Dutch league instead. They could always show the noon match at 2:00 as well or a second German game.

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    but the French league is better and more competitive than the Dutch League. You sound like your anti French.

5. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    I don't know how we can compare it this season considering that the Dutch League is on ESPN Deportes. Being competitive means nothing if the games aren't exciting to watch. Arsenal Vs. Palace shouldn't have been a competitive match but it sure was exciting to watch.

I don't think you'd find the French league enjoyable if you had Shaun Wheelock doing the commentary every week. That is what killed the Dutch league for American viewers. Christian Miles did a great job with the Eredivisie. Bretos is the only thing that brings the excitement to the Ligue 1.

6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, from that one sentence expressing my personal opinion is it is clear I hate all French people. I'll try not to be so blatantly biased next time. Not that that had anything to do with the main point anyway.

7. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I find it hard to avoid spoilers. I would much rather watch a live match than have to not see a partidulcar score on the net during the 9AM kickoffs. FSW is doing a great job as usual!

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Ajax has 1 American
    PSV has 1 American

end of story....

9. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    The only possible solution to these dilemmas is the method used by Sky UK for Champions League - give you a choice between all of the matches airing at that time.

Your suggestion of "chosing better matchups" results in airing a lot of dull sleep-fests, while the Portsmouth-Southampton derby did not get aired because none of the 20th Century "Top Five teams" were involved.

10. Blueasy

Blueasy New Member

Jun 12, 2004
    To that point, why don't FSW just show the full English package that TWI offers for Ligue 1 instead of that cheap and ugly white scoreboard- that covers up TWI's more informative, attractive, & perfectly capable one- and hacky announcers (especially Max). They could present Ligue 1 in the same fashion they do all the EPL games, save games directly from Sky, with a "host" before, after, & during halftime and allow the TWI announcers to call the games.

11. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just happy there's a game on. It doesn't matter to be if the 2nd choice game airs at 12pm or 3pm. I'd prefer to watch a live match over tape, but I rarely check the scores before I watch anyway, so I'd never know the difference.

12. John W.

John W. New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    This year's FSW broadcasts are a big improvement over past years. For one thing, the commentators don't blab the scores of other matches, and that's good because FSW is also showing a tape-delayed match at 3:00 EST in addition to the two live matches. On top of that, we've been spared the mediocre commentary of Max, Christian, et al., unlike the poor slobs watching other leagues.