The 10 Worst Buys in the Premiership

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Soccerholic, May 5, 2004.

1. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=299323&cc=5901

An article by Norman Hubbard on the 10 worst buys this year in the Premiership.
    United make the list at #7:

Also of note are Veron at #10 (Thanks Roman! Have you heard of our talented Neville duo?) and our favorite ponytailed keeper at #1. Pretty good analysis.

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been either injured or on leave for much of the season, so I think the jury is still out. This seems like more of a case of "Another big Man United transfer who didn't light it on fire from day 1". You have to give him more chances. Personally, I've seen some flashes of brilliance from the guy, so I'm more than willing to give him another shot.

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kleberson:

4. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    I guess on a strict return for our money this season the guy is probably right but there is something very peculiar about the Kleberson situation which may render the judgement unfair. I only hope Kleberson himself is right and we get to see just what he can do (or not do) next season.

5. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked and played brilliantly spelling for Scholes in Nov/Dec. He hasn't had a shot to play that role since Scholes return. A healthy Kleberson could be vital to a champions league and EPL run, because it would allow us to rest Scholes a bit more.

6. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, although the thing about Scholes is that he is generally the midfielder who has been most consistent this season, and hasn't needed a whole lot of rest. I think it might almost be better to play Kleberson as a possessing mid paired with Scholes when Keane isn't able to go. People have talked in here about the lack of midfielders who can play at both ends, but I have a suspicion that Kleberson might be able to do just that. I've seen him to well to link up with the forwards, and he's Brazillian so I don't think its too much of a stretch to assume he can possess the ball well. I think that lack of possession has killed us the last two times we were ousted from the Champions League.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i think kleberson will end up looking like a bargain, that guy can play - postiga is also better than he showed this season

8. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    I wouldn't have said that he played "brilliantly" but he certainly did enough to make me wonder why he hasn't played CM more often.

And it's not just about a replacement for an injured Scholes. No player, Scholes included, can play for 55-60 matches a season. They need a break or they finish the season as Ruud is currently doing suffering from niggling injuries and loss of form. You do need some "rotation" through the season to keep key players in good mental and physical condition and, of course, create some competition for places to get the most out of players.

9. RedDevil13

RedDevil13 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Illinois USA
    Well we have to wait and see. If Kleberson can play up to what potential he is said to possess, it should help. It is awfully tricky for me to evaluate Kleberson, need to see him play more. It is encouraging that he is promising to show the supporters what he has to offer next season. I am eager to see what he can do on the pitch.

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I don't think that Kleberson nor D2 were brought in with the expectation of them making an immediate impact this year. We will need them next year though. This will be a busy summer for many players, especially if England has a good run in Portugal. To me, that would make it all the more likely that players such as Scholes will need some time to rest.