The “Yes X” Factor - The Jadon Sancho Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jul 1, 2021.

1. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    All fair points.

johno repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anonymous_United and CybrSlydr repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I know we're supposed to have patience, coming from another league etc and there are some signs there like today he had some good moments but for £73m he is not impacting games enough. Also, he was supposed to help balance our attack on the right side but he's mostly played on the left. What's up with that?

[​IMG]

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree that he hasn't done enough. We should be seeing signs of life by now. Which is worrying.

I disagree about where he's being played. He's on the left mostly because Rash isn't there and Greenwood can't be dropped on current form. And Greenwood cant operate from the left.

7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, such a hater.

8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think he had a slow start last season too, but then came good. He also had no pre-season with us. Plus the price tag thing often weighs initially.

It has been disappointing though, but as he gets used to the league and his teammates and gets a goal and assist or two he will hopefully get some confidence and hit some form.

Chaz Striker repped this.
  9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Lmao.

You really are stretching this for no reason.

Canon repped this.
  10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well the consistent lack of tempo doesn't help either.

maybe if we put him in more counter attack scenarios we would see better results but so far we've generally taken too long to actually advance the ball and he's faced packed defences already in position. his best work is on the move not squared up from a standing start.

of course a better midfield would help with quicker transitions too

Sofabloke, Anonymous_United and benni... repped this.
  11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    +1 and AWB is a factor too, there is a reason Ole wanted Trippier.

Sofabloke and benni... repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Safe to say that Watzke is a fan. Might have a point that due to the fact that his place is not locked down with England, some hesitate to give him his props. That and the fact that he hasn't just come and lit the Prem up straight away following his big move to United...
    Have no doubt his time will come, sooner rather than later. Could have used him yesterday and might have seen him if it weren't for the injuries at the back. Need him to start vs Villareal coming up: the team will need all the creativity it can get in that match.

13. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I would bench Greenwood and give Sancho the start on RW. We bought him for width.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than width, it's for his creativity (mainly from the right) that Sancho was bought for. I would have played him from the start yesterday because he needs to start making that position (wide right) his own.
    Was understandable that Ole chose to stick with Mase but after the way things turned out yesterday, not to mention Villareal will be super tricky to deal with, due to their defensive posture, Sancho is a must start on the right.
    Time to start bringing some balance to our attack, something we still haven't been able to do yet, despite having Sancho with us. And we have enough scorers as it is: need creators to supply those guys (who are starved of any quality service).

Anonymous_United repped this.
  15. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You folks apparently are the only ones who think Sancho is a right winger.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This clearly indicates you probably have never seen Sancho play before he came to United. He is known to be a very versatile player who can play anywhere across the frontline (except at 9 obviously).
    Was frequently moved around in his time at Dortmund, playing on either flank but also at time used in the 10 spot, right behind the main striker.
    Not to mention the obvious also: would have been pretty idiotic from Ole to go after a wide forward who does not play on the right, considering everything we already had available for the left side...

17. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood, despite his early season form, doesn't work on the right. AWB doesn't get forward enough for me and I think that's mostly on Greenwood not playing AWB on the overlap, but also on AWB lacking the quality when it comes to crossing and so he's a bit reluctant himself. If we look at the penalty, it was Bruno who crossed it in. The players on the right should be putting balls like that in the box and they're not doing it.

If United switch to a front two, then that would suit Greenwood best. If United are chasing it and need an extra forward to challenge their center-backs, that's when I think he should be on the pitch and he could make a difference even if he lacks strength in the air.

Sancho should play on the right. That is his best position and that's where United have been lacking the most up top. I don't know what's up with him, but he struggled for form last season too. He looks unsettled to me and maybe the pressure of playing for United is affecting him. I could take some time before those jitters go away if that's the case, but the quality is there.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Sancho honestly strike you as kind to get nervous to the point that his game suffers from it, when you see him play or just hear him speak? There may be some of that (given the magnitude of his transfer) but I think his main issue is something we've seen recently with Donny.
    Meaning that he is a technically proficient player, who thrives on movement, clever/quick interplay with his teammates and that is not how we play. So of course, that and learning how to click with the other guys, will take some getting used to for a player like him.
    And some can deny/ignore it all they want but he's virtually had no preseason with the team, which certainly didn't help matters for someone coming into a new team. So yes, he's behind but there are mitigating circumstances that easily and reasonably explain things. If there is no clear progress sometime soon, then it will time to worry.
    But for now, he needs the games and the minutes to get himself going and it must be primarily on the right for sure.

19. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    There's a couple of options I think Ole has.

1. United replace Fred with a more rounded footballer, ship Donny out, and sign Trippier. Keep the shape of the team and how United play more or less where they are at now. Simple.

2. Play Bruno deeper alongside Donny in a similar role. Play Fred or McTominay as a proper holding midfielder. That allows Sancho to tuck inside from the right the way he likes to so he can use his creativity in the middle more now that Bruno would be played further back on the pitch. I'd keep Pogba on the left where he enjoys his freedom. Cristiano up top.

But with this comes risks because we are taking one of United's most productive players out of a role where he's producing goals and assists, and instead into a role to help United play with more fluency in possession. He's not going to score and assist at the same rate he does now if he plays there, but I think Sancho and Cristiano should make up for those numbers and thensome.

20. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Has Sancho started any game on the right?

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sancho only made 2 appearances on the right and they were as a sub (vs Soton and this pas Wednesday vs Atalanta). And I might add that, for me his handling of Sancho and others has become a clear blot on Ole's copybook at this point. When we see the same thing happening on various degrees to players like him, Pogba and Donny, it's not a good pattern/trend and it says something.
    There might have been extenuating circumstances behind Sancho's slow start but we're deep enough into the start of the season that Ole should have embedded him more into the team and particularly on the right, which was the main reason why he was brought on board to begin with.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jadon Sancho at Manchester United: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's failure to get him playing exposes flaws | Football News | Sky Sports

Sancho is just the latest example of what is becoming a pattern with Ole at this point, in his inability to coach ballers. Between Pogba, Donny, Sancho (and we could even include Martial), it's evident, on varying degrees, that Ole does not know what to do with that type of player or certainly fails to get the most out of them.
    It absolutely reflects badly on him and his abilities as a coach.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #98 Ashur, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021

Guess that's one way to go in order to get Sancho on the pitch... :whistling:
    All for that a stupid formation, which at best is a band aid and no long term solution. Simply amazing to see a coach having such a hard time using what he has on hand, the correct way. As opposed to consistently try to shove square pegs in round holes.
    AWB is a problem at RWB? Then give Dalot an opportunity. Same goes on the left with Shaw being poor right now. Give the ball to Telles. Both in theory, are ideally suited to the wingback role: not that hard...

24. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    AWB attacking ability in question…bahahhaahahahahahahahaha.

benni..., SF19, jeff070 and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Really hoping Sancho at RWB are just rumors, a 70-80million player with one of the highest assist tally in europe deployed at RWB just sums up this management.