Thanksgiving for Revs fans

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Coach_Barry, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my ongoing efforts to raise the bar and tone on this board, I am posting this thread to give everyone a space to post what they are thankful for as a Revs fan.

Please post in the spirit this thread was created:

I for one, am thankful for:

a local professional team to support, that I can watch in person or on TV with my son and my friends.

the Conference final, that not only was the most entertaining game I have seen, but gives me hope that this team has the potential to play really good soccer.

guys like Steve Ralston who can and will throw this team on their backs and take it to a whole new place.

guys like Clint Dempsey who just play, giving it their all, and getting the job done.

the smell of potential in the air as we approach the 2005 season with decent draft picks and cap room.

Ok, your turn...

2. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Great friends to hang out with before, during and after the games.

3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A stadium and fan base that while is most often may be quiet does show respect for the players and other fans; a place to watch two professional teams play--IN SAFTY.

A team that's been in existance long enough that their is a growing body of history about the team and we can all sit back during off season and ruminate about--Stumpy--TF3--Beto--Merlin--Spiderman--et al and a long series of memorable matches and not so memorable events.

That there is a place where it's safe to express an opinion about our team and our sport and right or wrong have en expectation that one's opinion will be treated with respect.

4. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *applauds*

5. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    I am thankful for:

Consistent coverage in the local newspapers

New stadiums around the league

Brad Feldman

Steve Nicol continuing to agree to be interviewed during Revs broadcasts

Video highlights of (almost) every match on mlsnet

Dr. Jay’s insider information

The Magpie saying “I’ll bite”

Soccer Doc’s optimism

Our mods, for putting in time for the greater good

Next season

6. jw

jw Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
    Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
    Brown paper packages tied up with strings

Uh, no wait a minute, you want “thankful things”, not “favorite things”…

Right, okay…
    I’m thankful for many of the things that Coach mentioned above, but most of all, I am thankful for having a team, period!

(Oh, and yes, having BigSoccer, where all can come and make others feel like crap…in a twisted, but loveable sort of way.)

God Bless us, everyone!

7. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Related: fried cheese

• a stadium that, while cavernous for average weekend matches, seems to be a favorite of the national side
    • that our guys are getting some national team attention
    • that some of our guys are getting a chance to spend the offseason honing skills on European training fields
    • players who've figured out the whole "fan interaction" thing--the number of times individual players have gone home shirtless (or gloveless) after giving some fan a souvenir and anyone who's gone for a stage dive
    • going directly from my wedding rehearsal dinner to the OD to watch the season opener (if it had been a home game, the dinner would've been at the tailgate)
    • the looming Adidas deal and league expansion suggesting things are only going to keep growing
    • five months of winter to spend gearing up for the new season
    • that I've got the means to get to matches and the buddies to hang out with once there, neither of which really existed eighteen months ago
    • enjoyable, don't care what the result is, straight out of Fever Pitch style matches like the ones out in Ludlow
    • that 2005 means it won't be long now before everyone's packing for Germany in 2006
    • May 1st, not just the match but my entire day that day
    • Walker getting tangled up in streamers
    • that even though I've only really gotten into the sport in general in the past two years, feeling like I'm in on the ground floor of something great
    • every time I've brought someone to a match and they've wanted to return
    • the sheer amount of people and doubleheader matchday acoutrements one can stuff in a Scion xB
    • this photo
    • this photo
    • the feeling that very shortly my Euro-following pals are gonna be talking about Demps and I'll be able to say I knew him when
    • that the weather cleared up enough on 9/18 for me and Magpie to decide to show up for what everyone expected to be a typically miserable rainy result, but wound up being a confounding 6-1 blowout for the boys in blue (too bad mi esposo Dos Mascaras had to work that night)
    • corrollary to above: Joe Cannon for being a very good sport and, despite the scoreline, waving to us as he left the Fort side that night
    • Kevin Barney, for being very nice and holding my car keys with attached pocket knife at the doubleheader, when I (who had been double-fisting Red Bull all morning) somewhat embarassingly freaked out about not being let in with the knife I'd brought in all season
    • finally getting glasses/contacts so I can read the scoreboard and identify more players on the field than just the GK
    • whoever handed out those free Ocean Spray coupons at the last home game, because I wound up with like thirty of them and am now enjoying a year's worth of free cranberry and grapefruit juice
    • every time someone standing near me at a match has made me crack up--Weber King, I'm looking in your direction
    • who lives in a pineapple under the sea? Tay-lor Twell-man
    • the security guys who man the Fort, know what that section's about, and are always cool to talk to
    • playing "my fan wang is bigger than yours" with a Barra Brava pal at another forum
    • that even though we didn't win, the season ending match was so well-played that it's hard not to find it a satisfying closer
    • that we don't have relegation in this league (see EPL team preference at left)

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thankful that I have to work on thanksgiving and not spend it at my sister in laws house where is smells like an ashtray and her husbands side of the family that know no other sport than nascar.

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thankful (Revs version) for:
    The friends I have made at the tailgates
    Bigsoccer
    Being able to watch the greatest MLS match ever and knowing the Revs were one of those teams
    Being able to go to professional soccer games for years to come.

10. Anti-BigFrank

Anti-BigFrank New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    I'm thankful to BigFrank.

Without him around, I'd be just "anti-"

11. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thankful for the Weber-Stephen Product Company of Palatine Illinois and the people responsible for the creation and manufacture of their Q grill - quite simply the single biggest product in the tailgating revolution...

I'm grateful to eBay seller jjbarnes1 for allowing me to purchase said Q Grill and numerous accessories at a significant discount...

I'm thankful to eBay seller Kakaye for delivering replica Revolution gear where the Revs sinply could not...

I'm thankful for pregame grilled cheese and in-game commentary from the Queen of Cheese...

I'm thankful for the kindred grilling spirit that is the Magpie...

I'm thankful for the legions of Revs fans who appreciate fine food as delivered by the Magpie and the King....

I'm grateful that I have a hometown team to support...

- The King

12. Dr. Strange

Dr. Strange Member

May 25, 2004
    Franklin
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm grateful the Revs are on TV.

And, yeah, Brad Feldman has gotten to be very enjoyable.

Reis, Twellman, Joseph, Dempsey...

...and, uh, well, er...uh...I kinda like Jay Heaps. :eek:

13. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    I'm thankful for:

-Having a local team (this time around) since '96. There's so much that goes along with that.
    -A whole crowd of diverse, interesting and fun people who I would not have known without that local team
    -Ralston, Cancela, Dempsey, Reis, Brown, Luuuuuke, and the rest
    -The rare, well played, and exciting game
    -90 minutes and all's weeeell....
    -The Rev Army, who have always made the Fort more interesting
    -The Midnight Riders tailgate area
    -Tailgate visits from Revs management and the Revolutionary re-enactors
    -"Meet the Coach"
    -Short lived injuries
    -Pork loin as only the King can make it
    -Brown sauce
    -The Rock
    -Mr. T
    -Harpoon/Sam Adams/Half time Guinness/Jello shots
    -Red Foley
    -Media whores
    -Friends who share their steak tips

And everything else that goes along with the Revs experience.

It's good to be the Queen. Happy Thanksgiving.

14. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Crew fan, but I'm thankful for family, friends, mind, and MLS.

Happy Thanksgiving Revs fans!!! :)

15. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    For the memories that will last a lifetime of taking the kids to the games.

For the fort; you all are as much a part of the Revs as the players and management.

To a wife who not only puts up with the time and money, but encourages it.

To the Revs for having autograph sessions after each game - and the spirit in which the players participate.

To BS and the Rev fans who make this forum informative and interesting.

To a beautiful, beautiful game.

16. Revs_White_Rose

Revs_White_Rose New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Somerville, MA U.S.A
    I'm thankful for many things.... including:

-Revs Games
    -Saying I made a multitude of friends at soccer games...
    -My parents for taking me.
    -The Hartford trip...sorry 'bout that one guys...leave it to the minor
    -Hilarious mid-game text messages announced into the fort...WHOOPS!!
    -Knowing I have friends now scattered all across the state and inter-state.
    -Having the WEIRDEST name in the Fort!! :)
    Happy Thanksgiving Guys!!!!
    That's all for now, Aoife :cool:

17. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm thankful for:

A solid group of young players to build a powerhouse.

Cheap season tickets for 2005.

A classic game a few weeks back.

A fuzzy wuvvable coach.

Yahoo streaming most Rev games(I'm a county over from getting FSNE).

FSW carrying MLS, USL, EPL, Sky Sports News, and so on.

Holding on to Pepe.

Matt Reis stopping two penalties in one playoff game.

Rivalries heating up in the Eastern Conference.

More SI's next year.

A PRO SOCCER LEAGUE IN THE US THAT IS GOING NOWHERE!

18. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thankful?

- Thankful for the passion and intensity of a match like the Eastern Conference final, no matter how rare.

- Thankful for management finally recognising the dramatic reduction in attendance and interest and trying to do something positive by reducing season ticket prices to 1996 levels.

- Thankful that they are finally spending some money to market the team and are advertising Season Tickets in places like El Globo.

- Thankful that the doomed from the start Howey experiment is over and won't be repeated.

- Thankful for vigorous, thought-out discourse, whether pro or con.

- Thankful for moderators that do not post Private Messages without permission, and who crack down on personal threats and bad language.

- Thankful for controversial threads that don't simply disappear into the BigSoccer abyss.

Ooops. Better scratch that last one. :eek:

Happy Holidays.
    :D

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I'm thankful for (in no particular order):

* The 2004 MLS Eastern Conference Final, the single most exciting match I've yet to witness in the history of the League...

* Fried cheese, and great tailgate music mixes...

* [​IMG]

* Banner-making efforts with Ultra Peanut, that may or may not offend the sensibilities of some fans...

* The Weber King, for providing me with tailgate inspiration and grill space...

* Bafanas, flaming Chourico, and cold Sagres before the U.S. Open Cup in Ludlow...

* Ultra Peanut, Weber King, and Patfan1 for allowing me to bum rides to Foxboro, otherwise, I'd have no real means of attending games...

* On principle alone: The "jello shot girls..."

* On even more principle: Rev Army...

* ... and on even more principle: Steve Ralston...

* Clint Dempsey...

* "Fort dives", the first in years...

* The incredible Revolution match photos from Tony Biscaia, Andy Mead, and Fred Kfoury...

* Jim Dow, Mike Marshall, and Tom Hill from Revsnet. Some of the best Revolution coverage you may not be reading...

* The close to $2,000 raised through the Midnight Riders by Revolution supporters for the Great American Heart Walk...

* Our regular Fort security guy, and those retro looking dudes who fire the muskets every game ;-)...

* Brad Feldman, specifically for his excellent Revolution Video Efforts...

* "Evil Homer..."

* Media wh*res...

* A number of select individuals who see to it that, I know, what they know ;-)...

... and quite simply, I'm thankful that Major League soccer will be kicking off a tenth season in 2005. There was a time when I didn't think the odds of this were great, and for the first time, I genuinely feel the league's ready for that "great leap forward." Here's to an early New Year's wish that the Revolution be part of that ride.

The Magpie

20. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'll give you props for the oddball orthography, there aren't exactly a dozen others in the stadium with the same name as mine, ya know. :)

21. Revs_White_Rose

Revs_White_Rose New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Somerville, MA U.S.A
    Ya know, your right...I don't think I know anyone else with your name...Same as me though, how many Aoife's do you know? Come on P, can't we all just, get along...haha. Just messing, true I have the weirdest "spelling" but you have the least common name. My apologies for not putting that out there. Haha, Aoife. :D

22. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can be weirdo name buddies. I've never met others with my name, but I've seen one on TV, as the subject of an MTV documentary about a teen mother with HIV.

And if you think I've got a strange name, you should meet my nephew, Audio Science.

23. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

?