Thanks from the players...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by jlm120170, Apr 20, 2004.

1. jlm120170

jlm120170 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    maryland
    Interesting point made on the WUST Soccer show yesterday. It crossed my mind but i was surprised some of the players did not thank us supporters like they do at most games i thought maybe they was to upset after blowing the game like i was.Wondering did it suprise anyone else who was at the game.

2. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    Putting Olsen (I think), Nelsen, Carroll, and Stewart (whom I think does a lot when it comes to the fans) aside, when the team doesn't acknowledge the fans, it really does put a damper on things. It's one thing for the team to lose the game; but for a group of fans to travel to the away games, cheer for their team, sing through the opponents goals, and try their hardest to help out the club, and then get no recognition from the players for that effort, really doesn't look good. Especially for an organization that is trying to become a class organization.

Yeah, I noticed it... and kudos for the four players mentioned above for walking to midfield and waving to us... (as if that was a hard thing to do), at least it gives us some idea as to who on the team knows why they're playing professional soccer.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    We went over the whiney "the players didn't thank us" thing back at MLS Cup '99. I should know. I got slammed for complaining that they didn't. ;)

4. jlm120170

jlm120170 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    maryland
    I got what your saying its just ironic that was it not in one of the supporters meetings that was said by the team that they were going to make sure to do that.Just curious...

5. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Here in LA Stewart and Esky thanked us. Convey did as well after Stewart pointed us out to him. Petke gave us a thumbs up before the game. But it does seem that the days of John Maessner and Goose (guys who always acknowledged the fans) are long gone. Mike, maybe the difference is that it's one thing to complain when your team's great and you travel to see them and another when you travel even though they've sucked salty balls for 4 years? Who knows.

6. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's just me and the fact that I haven't been a fan of the game for all that long - 2.5 years or so; prior to which, I was really only into the traditional American sports - but I've never felt that the players needed to do this.

I don't feel any sense of entitlement WRT this. Now, when players do come over, I really appreciate the gesture and it says a lot for the players who do so. But as long as everyone in a United shirt produces on the pitch and doesn't get into trouble off of it, I'm happy.

But again, maybe it's just me.

7. salvatore12thman

salvatore12thman New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    washington dc
    I agree with all you guys, I know what's the feeling specially all we travel to Giant Stadium, chanting for 90 minutes, taking the harassment from the Barra
    Metros, but we all know they don't care. I really want to thank to the Screaming Eagles for letting me share their charter to N.Y. was a pleasant trip

8. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria

Vicky here...

What pisses me off most is that noone said "Happy Birthday" to Dave Brother today!!

:D

All kidding aside....We are the one's who choose to support DC United/MLS Soccer....Honestly...who should be thanking whom???

Before you respond, think about this....What would you have to complain/cheer about if you didn't have this, or any other sport, for that matter.....AND...would it be as rewarding for you as the time you have committed to following your team/sport of choice??

I, myself, am all for the team coming by after the match, but, at the same time, appreciate what they give me for my time and money even when they don't!!!

(Happy Birthday Baby!!!! ILU!!!!)

Vicky

9. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    It's just another sign that soccer has arrived in this country. MLS is on track to be a major US sport. Garber's schedule reads:

2004- Players gradually stop thanking the fans

2006- Players begin to refer to themselves in the 3rd person

2007- Players begin charging for autographs

2008- First MLS rape/drug conviction

2010- First MLS player charged with murder

2011- Freddy Adu hits puberty

10. LowEnd

LowEnd New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Last fall when we took a bus up for the game, it was just Petke, Stewart, Olsen and Dema who came over to give us props for cheering...and they came all the way over to our corner. Maybe Petke didn't do it this time because he had a rough day, which I can respect.

But I think it's important to acknowledge the fans after a game. Especially when folks went out of their way to bring support for the team in NY. It's gotta be nice for players at an away game, hearing part of the stadium (and a loud part at that) cheering you on.

At the end of the day, it's not going to make or break the team (or the league), but I know in some way it makes me feel more allegiance with players. And hell, every bit of affection for the team/league helps when they're still trying to make things grow.

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Buy Me a Beer and We'll Call it Even....... :rolleyes:

12. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Ignoring the troll...

Ignoring the troll...

:mad:

p.s. your still a douche bag :D

13. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ok now... being perfectly serious.

It seems to me that getting the team to force the players to come over and show their appreciation is a lot like having some idiot forced into thanking you, or opening the door for you.

It should be done from the heart and feel that way, not because their mother had to remind them to do it.

--My thought? Appreciate the players that DO show their love for the fans. Its not a coincidence that it's guys like Olsen, Aunger, Maessner, Agoos, or Nelsen IMHO

14. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Does it really matter? Does the act of the players thanking you validate your existence as a fan?

To expect the players to come over and thank you after a tough loss to a bitter rival may be asking a bit much. Sure it's nice, but I don't think it should be expected/"required".

15. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well put. My thoughts exactly. It really shows the character of the players who take the extra minute to walkover.

16. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The genesis of the complaint was Nowak's promise to the fans (stated at least twice in my presence) that the players would always acknowledge the fans after the game, even on the road. That the players didn't in scumland (except for Earnie, Nellie, Carroll and Rimando) breaks the 100% record of Piotr's that what he says -- happens.

Nobody is crying or whining. Several of us are nonplussed after relying on what the coach said.

If you look at European teams, their players ALWAYS acknowledge the fans. It is the professional thing to do. This is a step backward unless the players hear it from the fans and modify their post-game thinking.

GM

17. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has already happened.

This almost already happened.

yeah, we've got a ways to wait for these things to happen.

18. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    This whole thing caught me by surprise Monday night. I got 6 emails from 5 different people explaining their views on the matter. I didn't see anything on Saturday, but I was at the post game media conference. I don't really have an opinion on Saturday.

However, the first thing that struck me was that it's OK to diss the fans, but at the peril to the team's future. The league is now entering its "mature" phase. Outside of marketing phenomenon like Adu, it can't really do much in the way of bringing in large amounts of new fans through direct marketing. It is now up to the fanatics to spread the word about the game and DCUnited. Much like NASCAR in the 80's and X-treme sports or WWE in the 90's it will come through word of mouth. If I remember anything from my graduate school days, you don't piss off your marketing tool . . . especially if it's free marketing!

On another level, what this team doesn't need at the moment is any bad press. With the pressure of the "Adu factor", a new coach, and entering a new era, nothing can derail the positive steps the team has taken to this point of the season. Something as simple as ignoring the fanatics could easily be made into a story. Just think of a headline like, "Soccer's Success equals Attitude Arrogance". And don't think the media isn't willing to push that crumb out on the pages! I know many mainstream sports types. I can say that they love every chance to bash the team and league because they simply are too caught up in the traditional sports to learn and report on soccer, but it won't stop them from bashing it.

All that said, the full story isn't known. Obviously it could have been a coaching decision - PN wanting to talk to the team immediately to re-inforce a point. It might have been a security issue and the team simply wasn't allowed to approach the stands. Or, it might have been that the players didn't want to face their supporters because they were embarassed - they are people too.

It was probably one of the things that happens. The DCUnited braintrust will read this thread and get the hint. Call it constructive criticism, which is what fanatics, the "Internet Nuts", are best at.

19. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    As Mike Lastort wrote earlier, we hashed this all out after MLS Cup 98 (the one in LA). Basically, it comes down to this: would be nice, but at the end of a defeat it's understandable. I agree with GM that Nowak's statements regarding the subject are what should be the focus. Overall, I don't think it is that big of a deal (both the lack of acknowledgement or the contradiction of Nowak's wishes).

If they feel like it, great. If not, no big whoopie. I don't come to matches to have the team cheer back at me, but when it happens, hey neat.

Tim

20. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    The players are very tired after a game.

21. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    A few of the players did acknowledge the fans. What else is anyone looking for? We were at the complete opposite end of the stadium from the locker rooms. Give em a break!

22. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I use as my model one of the best clubs (in my not very humble opinion) at fan-player-management interaction - FC St. Pauli. They are in the 3rd division after two straight relegations and still draw an average of 17K per game. Why? Not to see good football (soccer) that is for sure because they went on a nice losing streak after the winter break... The people come because they feel a connection to the club and the players. This is enhanced by such actions from the players as "Thanking the Fans" after the game. The players form a line and give a salute to each and every section of fans in the stadium. Fans stay long after the game to return the salute. After a loss, the players don't typically do this but most do acknowledge the fans with a clap/wave and such.

As Diceson astutely noted, this connection is really what is going to market DC United in the near term. It makes sense for the team to do everything in their power to enhance and build this connection. One is "reminding" (not forcing) players to thank fans after a game, particularly at road games. One of my favorite memories is from sCrew Stadium, when almost every DC Player gave me a wave or a thumbs up on their way to the tunnel (my wife and I were almost the only DC fans in attendance).

23. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    I think it's a really wonderful thing if the players thank the fans after a game, but it's not the same if they do it grudgingly. If they feel we added necessary support as a 12th man atmosphere, or if they're particularly jubilant after a win and feel like thanking us, that's really neat. But I don't want them to come over if they feel like they have to and it shows.

24. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    We are there for the team.

Not the other way around.

25. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago