Thank you.

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Bootsy Collins, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to the Revs for giving me the opportunity to see a great, great match. I'm sorry that one of us had to lose this match -- obviously, woulda been sorrier if it had been us, but still, your team left their guts on that pitch. Down three times, came back three times. What a great match.

Now get out there and show the match to everyone who isn't already a Revs fan in Somerville and Brookline and Quincy and say "this is what you're fscking missing!"

Seriously, congrats on your run, and congrats on a *great* match tonight.

2. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    and thanks again.

3. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That had to be one of the best, if not the best MLS games I ever watched. Skill, intensity, drama - it had it all.

My only question is - why didn't the Revs play like this for the preceding 6 months ?

4. TMurray

TMurray New Member

Oct 5, 1999
    I think the reason they did not play better early in the season was because they had too many injured regulars. Plus Clint had to get used to the MLS, which did not take long.

Absolutely the best game I have ever seen the Revs play and probably one of the best I have ever seen in the MLS.
    It was wonderful entertainment! WOW.

5. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    ....My only question is - why didn't the Revs play like this for the preceding 6 months ?.... DR. JAY

Well, let's see... injuries (all the oft-mentioned folks), not having a set lineup (we didn't until a month ago), inexperience as young players came to be able to function at MLS level (Dempsey, Dorman, Leonard), summer weather (soccer was designed to be played in conditions like last evening), faster opposition (United isn't that much faster than the Revs, they spread the field and move to open space beautifully but they don't break away like some teams do vs. the Revs), evolution of the ability of the players to actually function together (note set lineup over the past six weeks).

The question is, I feel, will we be able to play something like this over the next season? The core of this team was on the field last night. Everyone else, and many of those players are very good ones, may well be on other teams next season and replaced by new players who will have to work into the fabric of the strategy and style. I am greatly encouraged by what I saw last night but I was greatly encouraged by what I've seen the past six weeks.

I hope that those players who are seen as possibly moving on (Cancela, Twellman) won't and that we are all back here for a new, better go round come 05. One cautionary note, DC is loaded with young players too, as are Columbus and the Mutz; they all are goinfg to improve as well.

JIM DOW