Thank You Mike!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeW, May 23, 2005.

1. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I was talking to my Dad earlier this AM and mentioned this and he was wondering why I was bummed about this deal and I told him that United's players have a unique bond with the fans. They show up at various fan friendly events, they don't hold out or blow off training sessions. You don't read about United players beating up judges in Aruba, telling cops "Do you know who I am?" or trying to use a Wizzinator to beat a drug test.

They salute the supporters and appreciate the fans who do turn out. It's affordable to go to their games and it's affordable to play in their charity golf event. You can even purchase actual game worn jerseys from the team. They bring home championships and their fans can take pics with the trophy. You get the idea, we all know it is the most fan friendly organization in this town. After I said all this, my Dad began to understand. He even remembered when we went to a game at Lockhart in 1999 and ex DCU Brian Kamler saluted a bunch of us chanting his name during warm ups.

I love to follow all the teams here in town but when players I like get dealt or leave via free agency from the Redskins, Caps, Wizards, Orioles and now Nats, I really don't think twice anymore.

United has to do what they have to do. We were bummed when we lost Harkes, Marco, Nelly and now Petke to name a few fan favorites. It's tough as our favorites come and go, but we got to do what we supporters do best and that's root who is out there wearing the D.C. United shirt.

2. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is the saddest Monday ever. :(

:(

3. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Thanks for everything, Mike. You will be sorely missed. :(

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    This all made me remember a fond story I have of Mike.

It was back in the last season before he came to United, before a night game when the Metros were in DC.

I was sitting in La Norte about 40 minutes before the game started and he was coming out of the visitors tunnel to go warm up when some MetroStars fans stopped him and asked for his autograph. While he was doing this, I took the time to remind him that he was a wanker, among other things, and that his team was trash and was going to lose.

To my surprise, he stopped signing the autographs for his fans, walked over to me and extended his hand while saying, "thanks for caring so much about this game and the league, every team could use more fans with your support."

Needless to say, I was dumbfounded. We had gotten some classic responses from players before and would in the future (read: Donovan, Howard, Mathis, etc.) but none had appreciated the fact that the fan support was a good thing, much less expressed this so well.

I couldn't believe that he had come over to me to say something like that (I was a good section and a half over, so it wasn't just a few steps) and I couldn't believe how much respect I had instantly gained for the guy.

I wish him the best in Colorado, and at least he's going to a team that I don't utterly despise. Hell, for my money they can win the West and I won't be dissapointed, so best of luck to Mike and his family.

5. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    He's going to a team with this as a mascot though....

[​IMG]

6. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO

Hey hey now ... that's our best player!!!

7. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002

Oops. Sorry.

:)

He's kinda grown on me in all the time I've had it in my photobucket
    account.

8. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thamlin19 inspired me to share my own story.

I was at a meeting once, where I met one of the team docs for the Metrostars. We talked a bit about MLS on a whole, and I told him I was happy DC had snagged Mike - in my mind, a classy guy who is definitely underrated. The meeting continues, and at one break point the doc came up to me and handed me his cell phone.

It was Mike. (The doc and Mike still stayed in touch after he left the Metrostars) Suffice it to say I worked VERY hard to stifle my initial reaction, which would have been akin to complete and total girliness. Instead, I had a really nice five minute chat with him - I told him I was a Chelsea supporter and that I was happy DC had beaten Spurs in the friendly. He told me about swapping shirts with Robbie Keane, and how cool it was to play Premiership teams. A sincerely nice, good guy, and someone who will be very very much missed. :(

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Mike. You'll be remembered the guy who broke the corner kick goal drought, a noble task indeed.

10. Tweaked

Tweaked Member

Jan 30, 2003
    The Hill
    He arrived as The Scum's hated Wanker, but he's leaving DC as our Wanker. You'll always have friends in DC!

11. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    By the way, it should be noted that it was TEConnor who started the "Petke is a wanker" chant back in 1998 (I'm pretty sure it was the 8/22 game). All he did was substitute "Petke" for "Burnsie" and it fit perfectly...

12. Blackjack Shellac

Blackjack Shellac New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Hallandale, FL.
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Luck Mike!!!!!!!

You'll be missed!!!

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    You'll be missed, Mike. No matter where you go, you'll always be a champion here.

14. jlm120170

jlm120170 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    maryland
    You will be missed Ill never forget the few times after the game he would stop his car and chat with me and Darth after the game and ill never forget last year at the Metro game i thank it was the last reg season game and I cant remember who got hurt be we were all yelling F-you Pope and Mike was looking at us waveing his hands for us to all go louder.You will be missed..

15. Jester64

Jester64 Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minor story of Petke appreciation. At an game early last year, as the players were kicking out the balls to the crowd before the game, Petke kicked his our way. After pinballing around a bit, it came over my head and I pulled it down, satisfied to bring home a ball for my kid. The game started and a few minutes later, a little boy, maybe 6 or 7, comes down the aisle to me and says, "mister, can I have that ball?" I sort of stare at him with raised eyebrows, but he continues, "Mike Petke kicked that ball and Mike Petke is my favorite player." Again my eyebrows raised, thinking what a story this kid has. Then he turns around to show me the back of his DC United t-shirt with Petke scralled on the back. "Sure kid, here you go." I hope he enjoys it while it lasts, we enjoyed Mike while he was here. Best of luck to you.

16. TigerHawk

TigerHawk New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Mike, we miss you already. Michael Jordan used to say that when the Bulls came to town everybody wanted him to score 50 points and the Bulls to lose. That's how I feel about you playing for anyone other than United. When you come to town, I hope you have a great game and your team loses. Best of luck in everything you do.

17. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for all your hard work and best of luck in Denver.
    You'll be missed.

18. RFK 315

RFK 315 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    ...lurking...
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Luck to you, Mike-
    you were pure class here, and we will miss you.
    Best wishes to your wife and child,too - I'll always fondly recall your "burping the baby" goal celebration !

And to fellow supporters and fans of Mike, may I suggest a "going-away" contribution to Mike's charitable foundation, Kick the Violence :

Petke's Kick The Violence Foundation

Mission: To raise awareness and funds to combat children's violence, a topic
    close to the heart of D.C. United defender Mike Petke

Contact Information:

Petke's Kick The Violence Foundation
    c/o D.C. United
    RFK Stadium
    2400 East Capitol Street, S.E.
    Washington, D.C. 20003

http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load.jsp?section=community&content=foundations

19. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck, Mike, kick LD's ass.

20. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    One way to do that is to buy a shirt.

21. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike, sorry to lose you. You've always been a stallwart, and your agressive play has been great to watch. Just one solid fellow is what you are.

Knock em dead in Denver. At least you're going to a great place to live.

22. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    Here's hoping one day we see him in a United uni again.

23. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never know?

~~Worm~~

24. vivzig

vivzig New Member