Thank You Klinsmann

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by RevvedUp10, Jun 26, 2014.

1. CarlosE

CarlosE Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Calvert County, MD
    #126 CarlosE, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    What do most remember about the USMNT's run in 2002? The huge upset over Portugal . . . The even bigger win over Mexico in the 2nd round, the great game the Yanks played versus Germany in the quarters, etc. Not too many remember that we got blown out by Poland (we were down 3-0 before LD got one back in the 83rd) in our last 1st round match. Not too many remember that we needed help from South Korea to beat Portugal so we'd make it to the next round. All people remember is the great run.

In the 'o2 first round of matches, we also finished 1-1-1 , first a win, then a tie, then a loss; exactly as we have done this time, before embarking on one of the greatest U.S. runs ever. Not too many remember the 1st round blow out and the fact that we need help from another game to reach the 2nd round and that we went through as a second place team.

Likewise, if we can advance another round, or two, as we did in '02, a decade from now, no one will remember the 1st round struggles - Only the great run.

I think that JK has done a very good job to get us into the 2nd round and props need to be given to him. I still think that this team would be stronger with LD (he'd do much better than Davis, who was a zero today, and he'd be better than Green).

With, or without LD, I'm not sure I would have bet that we'd reach the next round. That's why congrats are in order for our gaffer.

In short, this is the strongest U.S. team we've had in the WC and, as I've mentioned before, I hope they can succeed through several rounds.

Thank you, Herr Klinsmann.

2. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think Jurgen feels he can play Landon at that position. He truly sees him as a forward. (like in the gold cup in 2013...)

3. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    I do have a lot of questions about this German team.

They've been playing with Muller as a false 9 and not playing a forward. How's that working so far? Muller keeps scoring like it's what he was born to do.

I do think it's a horrible choice on their part, and in several of these games they've created a ton of chances but lacked finishing. Klose is the backup forward to having no forward.

I wish they had a second backup option in case Klose goes out. Realistically, who would he go with, though? The best forwards in the Bundesliga aren't German.

I think if you had to compare Germany 2010 is significantly better than Germany 2014.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to admit I had SERIOUS doubts about JK up to and including the away game to Honduras. At the very least up to the world cup I thought he had sent the boat in the right direction. Now I think it's reasonable to say that his work has been a complete success.

5. BS49

BS49 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Drinking a beer
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think most novice US soccer fans were perplexed at the US celebrations after the loss. I think today's game did nothing to bring in new soccer fans. The US loves winners and the US looked like a Minnow to the novice every 4 year fan.

6. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Eddie Johnson... he's just a prospect, though.
    Juan Agudelo... he's just a prospect, though.

Funny, though that you said our other forwards weren't good enough to take because they were just prospects... and yet 2 of the 4 he took are just prospects, Johannson and Green.

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We dont really need those folk. I enjoy their presence but the people who will support MLS or even EPL and actually watch most of the year. I will welcome them in and break bread.

Ill politely acknowledge the fairweather or the every 4 year fan.

8. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    This is laughable. Bob had a joke of a group vs this one.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  10. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very true, but what can you do? I watched with my co-workers and he said his 12 year old daughters team plays better than this :)

How can you bother to explain the whole place of the US in the world of soccer when you are too busy worrying that Ghana is going to somehow knock us out.

I watch something like cross country skiing every 4 years and every 4 years the US is dead last or close to dead last, I have the common sense to assume that European countries are just better at cross country skiing than we are, some people that watch the world cup every 4 years all the sudden want us to dominate.

I dont know what they would say if I told them we can only beat Antigua and Barbuda by a few goals :) that would be a nice look on their face, they expect us to beat Germany :)

11. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Revolt, Hachiko, Wessoman and 2 others repped this.
  12. Barataria

Barataria New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to be really negative about everything. I'm much happier now that I stopped. Enjoy success however it comes.

Papin repped this.
  13. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Agreed... which is pretty limited in Klinsman's ability to assess talent, then...

I'm over Donovan not being selected for this squad in terms of how this squad goes. I feel he should be there, I feel he'd add a lot in terms of dynamism, but I can see where Klinsmann is set on this 4-4-2 diamond, and the 4-2-3-1, and that if Klinsmann was only looking at Donovan as a forward he's behind Altidore and Dempsey in that position. I'm not over Donovan and others not getting selected by Klinsmann, and the reasons for it, and what that says about Klinsmann's coaching ability. Easily Donovan could be playing the #10 spot or on either flank in that system. He likely wasn't even considered for it, which is shocking. Klinsmann put far too much emphasis on getting offense out of defenders, that we've been dependent on it, and lack true offensive push-through.

In the Altidore case, though, his dropping Eddie Johnson from the squad is now what's being punished. He also could've added Juan Agudelo, who can also play on the flanks when needed. Dempsey is great, but he doesn't have the same out and out striker ability.

14. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Yeah, it's not a huge selling point for the game... but we got Luis Suarez for that.

I hate to go Maynard on y'all... but most mainstream Americans have that vicarious desire to see tragedy, violence, and the completely bizarre.

Their top 3 moments in soccer history are, the Zidane headbutt, the Luis Suarez bite, and "the Columbian dude scoring on his own net" (yes spelled intentionally incorrect). Some fring soccer fans might be able to mention the Donovan goal against Algeria, because it came so dramatically at the end.

Regardless of what the US does at this World Cup though, a slight bump every 4 years that dies down isn't what's going to bring soccer into the mainstream of America (unless we win the entire thing).

What's going to get American soccer to catch on is MLS, and MLS is doing an awful job of getting their schedule out at a predictable time table, so that Americans know when the games will be on and just where to watch them.

Hopefully, that new MLS television contract on ESPN can lay the groundwork for that to happen. It's great timing, though, coming right on the heels of this WC, and if ever there was a time to capitalize on that momentum now is the time.

It's going to take Klinsmann to stop looking down on MLS as well, and have our top players grow the game here at home so we have recognizable household names that the fans can get attacked to as well.

15. Jozystrikes!

Jozystrikes! New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US soccer fans are the most smarmy condescending group of supporters there are in the world today. As if anyone dare question the authenticity of their fandom or their bloated opinions. Listening to Twellman and Lalas it is so clear that they can't stand Klinsmann and seem to be outwardly rooting for his failure/dismissal. The fact is we have had three damn good coaches for the last 14 years. Thank you Jugen, thank you Bob and thank you Bruce. US Soccer is no longer a joke!!

16. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Hachiko and taylor repped this.
  17. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Revolt and asoc repped this.
  18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So much for enjoying this thread, I see a lcokdown coming since you guys refuse to control the rhetoric.

The thing is it can always be argued that we could have done better since we did not take nine points with a 9 GD. Nor can it be argued that we really could have used LDs's skill set. JK felt the team was better without LD even if that meant sacrificing his not inconsequential skills.

He got us out of group of death by blind foolish luck or by sheer mad genius. The truth is somewhere in the middle I suspect. I am glad he will be our coach for the next four years and am anxious to see how we come out against Belgium. He is a different sort of cat, and it appears polarizing as well. At the end of I don't think Michael Ballack's camp and Phillip Lahm's camp are ever going to see eye to eye.

I am glad I like him it makes following my team much easier. I hope he continues to do well and over see our move forward in world futbol. Good times to be a nats fan.

morange92, RevvedUp10 and Katreus repped this.
  19. Jozystrikes!

Jozystrikes! New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like!

20. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, Jurgen! Been following the U.S. since '89 and this is the first team that regularly plays out of the back rather than booting it upfield or out of bounds (Boca was really good at this).
    How many of you remember the days when kick offs meant we'd send a guy down the flank and boot it to him from the center circle? That was a staple of the U.S. until not too long ago, as hard as it is to imagine. Truly embarrassing.

21. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    What makes you believe the PLAYERS advanced in the tournament because of Klinsmann and possibly not despite him? Was it his track record as a coach German National team coach where his he took over a program that made the final the previous world cup guided them to a 3rd place finish while hosting the tournament? Was it is great success at Bayern Munich? Was it his brilliant work as an adviser to Toronto FC where he used his European contacts to help them sign DPs like Torsten Frings and Danny Koevermans and finish with the worst goal differential in the league while having one of the highest payrolls? Was it is his leadership of repeatedly telling his players can't win the world cup that group of players known for quitting and inspired them to play hard?

Is it because the some questionable roster selections like Julian Green, Brad Davis, John Brooks, DeAndre Yedlin and Chris Wondolowski have played exceptionally well justifying him to drop players like Clarence Goodson, Eddie Johnson and Landon Donovan that had been above average performers for the team in the previous year? Is it because the US has done much better than their CONCACAF counterparts like Mexico, Costa Rica and Honduras? Is it because he brilliantly fooled the opposing coaches promising a proactive posession strategy and then completely crossed them up by using an innovative bunker strategy that previous US coaches weren't smart enough to consider. Was it the tortuous pre-cup fitness regimen that took a lot of MLS players that were in mid-season shape and help them look fresher and less injury prone as compared to other teams filled with players that just finished a long and grueling season?

Please help me understand why Jurgen is nothing more than a mediocre coach who is very talented at self promotion. Or does it all come down to the lottery theory where the guy who picked the winning ticket is obviously brilliant and deserves out utmost in gratitude and while anyone else who did not clearly under performed.

el americano repped this.
  22. Yankee_Devil

Yankee_Devil Member

Nov 13, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    First let me say that I hate the word "haters" because its so childish its almost like we are back in High School in the adult world we use the word "critics" of which Klinsmann has many and I can see why he seems to do much of the time things that seem to go against conventional wisdom and he does not seem to bend to his critics and simply does what he believes gives him the best chance to win. This of course will not endear him to neither fans, who of course know better, and critics that play Monday evening quarterback in their daily column, such is the nature of success.

Yet 4 years ago when we had "Bobo"in charge (that being Bob Bradley) I led the chant of fire Bradley and led it from the day that I saw the team in the World Cup it was not based on results but rather on play. It was clear to me that the team was under achieving under "Bobo" the team reflected the attitude of the Coach and that is that they were for the most part "happy to be here" and once again Landon Donovan who in the group stage was largely known as "landycakes" was doing little to nothing until of course the goal against Algeria which justifiably forever erased that ugly moniker and replaced it with "Mandon" and became a US sports legend.

The replacement of Klinsmann was rather unanimous after the exit from the tournament as many knew that in order for the US to achieve that "next level" they needed somebody that was more than just happy to be there and a system at all levels was in serious need of retooling and reform. Klinsmann offered all that but it was the way in which he demanded from US Soccer that put many off. After all we had gotten to this point without him why should we bend the knee to some German guy that had never even won the world cup as a Coach?

Fast forward to this moment I think it is rather clear that the quality of player (not the talent so much) has increased tremendously not only that you have team that believes in the system and not just on their individual abilities while at the same time not "happy to be here" anymore but hungry to achieve an reach heights that are beyond the dreams even of its more ardent fans. If anything the US team has surpassed its fan base when it comes to expectations which is rather odd for American attitudes towards sports or any endeavor for that matter. Still we have Klinsmann to thank for way in which this team has and will perform from now on and the expectations set on them aside from injuries, schedules and groups of "death." Time to look forward and enjoy the fruit of the effort given on the field by this US team that I suspect that if a certain hamstring gets healthy and the team gets a fair shake in the next rounds could get to places that are far beyond the sweet sixteen.

So for that, thank you Mr. Klinsmann.

elvinjones and RevvedUp10 repped this.
  23. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/03/17/11/37/jurgen-klinsmann-two-years-and-counting

On top that his record since then is 32-11-9, he beat Ghana (something the last two coaches couldn't do despite having the obviously "superior" LD), and advanced the US out of the most difficult group it has seen in the last three World Cups. If that isn't more than mediocre to you then you may want to consider getting your head checked.

24. LandonDonovan2014

Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yep completely agree. If we advance in the knockout rounds he will be remembered far more for that than the group stage. If we were to somehow win 4 in a row.... would anyone 20 or 30 years from now care that we lost to Germany and Portugal tied us at the end? I doubt it.

25. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Lalas obviously wants Jurgen to fail, and has pretty much stated that he feels a lot of what Jurgen wants to do is not the American Way. Twelman, I think is more of a fan of the team and gets frustrated when we struggle. Remember the Canada game in January where we looked awful? I thought he was going to cry on national tv.

Anyways, the one thing that almost bit Jurgen in the ass was not having a direct replacement for Jozy. Not saying we were going to do anything against Germany, but there were a few moments that had we had a bigger target in the box for a Zusi cross (not corners) maybe we make Neur work. There were also times that it would have helped in the other two games.

As for those saying Bradley should be benched (though on a whole, I don't think he was bad in either of our last 2 games, not as sharp as he normally is, but not bad), who else on our team has the ability to hit the long passes he hits consistently? Jones on occasion and Zusi? Even when Mikey isn't at his best he brings a calmness to our team.