Thank You Klinsmann

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by RevvedUp10, Jun 26, 2014.

1. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Personally, I find Klinsmann to be a loudmouth, pseuodintellectual attention-whore. Professionally, though he's gotten the job done and made the right moves.

This about sums it up:

2. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Has zero to do with my Galaxy fandom. But your attack has everything to do with you being a Jurgen apologist.

3. domericon

domericon Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What all your postings seem to lack is a sense of the bigger picture.

Yes, last time you had 5 points, but last time you also had an easier group.
    Yes, last time you also advanced, but (and i do not mean this to insult anyone here) you also played like schoolboys. You were all heart zero tactics. You clawed and fought your way through that group only by heart. This time around you had tactical concepts for each game, this time around you actually played some soccer, this time around you actually have been seen as a great soccer nation in the makings.
    The biggest difference from last time to this time is not what you accomplished, but how you did it.
    Last time people thought of you as the headless chicken that got lucky, this time people actually recognized your team as an actual soccer team that can upset any other nation.

I wouldn't call klinsmann a genius, but klinsmann is a future guy. This time around you saw a lot of improvements, maybe not on the scoresheet, but on the field. And this is his doing.
    This also plays a role in the whole donovan thing.
    Sure he might have been a solid option this time, but he also is that one huge figurehead everybody else can hide behind, and he certainly is no guy for the future. Klinsmann did the right thing by leaving him at home.
    Sure there is no proof for it, but i bet if donovan was there a lot of young guys whould have taken the opportunity to hide behind him, maybe your team would have been better on paper, but i doubt it would have been better on the field. All those young guys had no one to hide behind, they all had to work themselfes, and they did. They learned a lot and they will only get better, whereas donovan maybe would have had one somewhat decent worldcup in him. Klinsmann doesn't care too much about this worldcup, he cares about 2018 and if he has to sacrifice an ageing guy for that he will and he should. It's not like donovan is a pele or zidane, he didn't cripple his team by leaving him behind. He traded a somewhat decent player for a little bit less decent one.

This quote from Bruce Arena "If there are 23 players better than Landon Donovan, then we have a chance at winning the World Cup." shows exactly why klinsmann is a so much better coach than him. Klinsmann knows it's not about winning this worldcup, you wouldn't win it with or without donovan, it's not about making the best out of what you got now and skate by, it's about creating something for the future. And you don't do that by clinging to an ageing idol, especially when this ageing idol is only a mediocre player in the grand scheme of things.

Li mu bei, tavo2311, elvinjones and 20 others repped this.
  4. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Full disclosure: I have been a Klinsmann fan for 25+ years.

He may not be the best club manager, but he makes a great national team manager. Sure, I haven't agreed with every decision he made. For example, I would have selected Boyd over Wondo, and I would have sat Bradley versus Germany. But overall, he's been great for US soccer.

1) He makes the tough choices
    Whether it's leaving out Donovan or demoting a long-time friend and coach, Klinsmann will do what he thinks it takes for the betterment of the team. People may not always agree with a given move, but for a country like the US that wants and needs to progress in the world of soccer, being comfortable with the status quo will hold you back. As he did for Germany in 2006, sometimes that means leaving home a proven but fading veteran and going with a promising youngster.

2) He makes good substitutions
    Whether it's been John Brooks, Yedlin or Zusi, his subs have done very well. Sure, there's an element of luck, but he also deserves a lot of credit for pulling the right strings at the right time.

3) Eternal optimist
    Klinsmann is always positive. Sure, Americans can misunderstand his German tendency to be objective (winning the WC is not realistic), but overall, it's hard to argue that his attitude is very positive and encouraging. He gets his players to believe in themselves and brings that German "never give up" attitude that is consistent with the American philosophy. Culturally speaking, he's a great fit for US soccer.

4) Spokesperson for soccer
    Related to being an optimist, he speaks very openly and eloquently about what is needed and the reason for the decisions he has made. He shows great enthusiasm from the bench.

5) Contacts
    Given his stature in global soccer, he has coaching contacts that can help US players (if the US player has the guts to pursue it). He can also arrange better friendlies and bring in experienced coaches. He can call almost anyone and seek their advice.

6) Open mind
    He is open to almost everything, whether it's training techniques, learning from other sports, understanding other cultures, or bringing in other high profile coaches, his intellectual curiosity and lack of arrogance keeps him nimble.

7) Experience
    Having played in big tournaments (winning WC in 1990, captain for 1996 Euro winning side), he knows what it takes to win. And this extends beyond the match preparations to include less obvious things like securing several locations in Brazil far in advance of the tourney even starting.

8) Demanding
    While he is positive, he also demands a lot. He's not content when Donovan, Dempsey, and Bradley don't push themselves by playing in the MLS. And that's a good thing.

Li mu bei, tavo2311, elvinjones and 18 others repped this.
  5. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nice...But it's really not an argument....rather a distraction.

Lothar is 1 repped this.
  6. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh dear...you are correct but you are just going to get dismantled by people who have preconceived notions.

good post. but no one is going to care.

Li mu bei repped this.
  7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Apologist? I don't think anyone on this thread is apologizing for klinsmann. He's done well, and it's not his supporters who now feel compelled to suggest that things aren't as they seem.

8. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey we made it to the knockout rounds in a very difficult group. Regardless of whether I agree/disagree with his decisions or how I've felt about him in the past in terms of coaching and handling the press I'd say he and the team have been satisfactory this world cup

9. LinksterAC

LinksterAC Member

Jun 30, 2008
    San Diego
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hysterical.

You're so right. I mean, why did we even play the games? I mean, the rest of the group just handed us second place. They weren't trying to advance at all!

10. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never given up on him. Thrilled to have him as our coach.

Li mu bei repped this.
  11. AmericanArsenal

Jun 12, 2013
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Your argument:
    Landon is the best USA soccer player of all time. Fact.
    Therefore he is obviously still our best player even with his fat self. No even close to true.
    My argument:
    We needed warriors to get out of this group, Landon let himself down by not being ready. Still holds a dear place in my heart. But seriously let it go. Just let it go. He's not here, he's not going to magically appear. Go celebrate an have a beer.

Li mu bei and Gaucho95 repped this.
  12. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's not really my context. I mean that there is a significant segment of Jurgen supporters who refuse to critically reproach him as long as they think everything is hunky dory. As such, they find any reason to demonize or utterly dismiss the Landon contingent. There is absolutely no middle ground because their mindset is not as such to think critically. jmo.

13. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright Klinsmann deserves credit but you just called Donovan mediocre. Compared to German players he is but to Brad Davis he isnt. I really dont want to have this discussion because they just advanced out of very tough group.

14. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How does greatest of all-time automatically equate to greatest now? I don't deal in fallacies. Suit yourself if that's your deal.

15. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologize for Klinsmann being the only coach to beat Ghana? To take us out of the group, consecutively for the first time? In the group of death? To have the winningest record of any USMNT manager?

Or apologize for leaving you favorite player at home?

Li mu bei, Papin, Katreus and 3 others repped this.
  16. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Jurgen Klinsmann,

Thanks for being the manager of Team USA.

Signed,

The Hachiko.

Li mu bei repped this.
  17. domericon

domericon Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I understand that, and i congratulate you for it, you deserved it!
    I also do not want to start a huge discussion about it, but it seems to be the #1 thing people hold against klinsmann so i mentioned it.

JeremyEritrea repped this.
  18. Zenitfan

Zenitfan Member

May 31, 2001
    Dayton, OH
    Ugh I hate responding with such a tone because it makes it seem like I'm a JK hater and I'm not. Buuuut...

Right. So let's ignore 2002 where we advanced out of a tough group and got eliminated by a German team who got away with a non-called handball which blocked a goal. And in 2010 when Ghana barely edged us out in the second round in extra time. Yet somehow JK turned around our program that was on a downward trajectory? Nah. Don't buy it. We've got some results but it looks like his (somewhat) poor roster selections might be hamstringing him moving forward (Gonzo rather than Goodson, inclusion of Davis, lack of Boyd and/or Agudelo when it looks like he has no faith in the other forwards he *did* bring). If you didn't respect this team before this cup that is on you.

I sorta agree with the sentiment that not advancing would be a failure. I mean it's not 1990 any more. We aren't expecting quarterfinal or semi-final appearances (or God forbid a final appearance). Just getting out of the group. It's not unreasonable.

It was a tough group. But good teams beat other good/decent teams. And I think we're a good team.

PremierUSA repped this.
  19. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's a curious thought. What's your reasoning?

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These kinds of assumptions are foolish, especially when another US coach has never beaten Ghana.

Li mu bei, Papin and KC96 repped this.
  21. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And you want to assume that we wouldn't have beaten Ghana with another coach? That seems "foolish." Frankly, of the three Ghana games, we played our worst in the 2014 game. Funny how things work out.

Lothar is 1 repped this.
  22. TerpHamm

TerpHamm New Member

May 22, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do people really still care that Donovan missed the cut? We just advanced from the freakin Group of Death down a striker and with our "most consistent" player being very below average. I think Landon should have been there just as much as the next guy, but how can you question the move at this point?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assumed nothing.

I'm going on results.

You're the one in here bitching and moaning about an assumption that any other coach would accomplish the same as Jurgen, right after we f'ing advanced out of the group of death after our best striker went out with injury moments into group play.

KC96 repped this.
  24. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He played a brilliant game today. Showed really quick recovery which probably prevented a goal or two.

25. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US fans to Klinsman:

BimmerBenz95 repped this.