Thacher needs to be suspended!!

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by arminho09, Aug 23, 2006.

1. arminho09

arminho09 New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    USA
    did you guys see the tackle on Mendes...and only a yellow...Thacher is a discrace to football and should be suspended a couple of months!!

2. Batcave Brigade

Batcave Brigade New Member

Aug 11, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

Anybody got a link to the videoa of this?

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I couldn't agree more. He didn't attempt to play the ball what so ever. Threw a visious elbow to the head of Pedro Mendes, completly blind siding him. It also appears that Thacher may have connected with Pedo Mendes temple.

Portuguese news is reporting he was also suffering from a seizure.

Here is the video clip: You need VLC media player to watch it.

http://gimehost.com/v/7853372/1156382111769.zip.html

4. Batcave Brigade

Batcave Brigade New Member

Aug 11, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Wow, that was like a flying WWF forearm.

The ref from the match should face a suspension as well for not sending Thatcher off.

5. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    How that wasn't a red card is beyond me. You can't even say the ref didn't see it as Thatcher was given a yellow. Whats the status on Pedro now? Last I heard he was still in the hospital in Manchester.

6. Fratton Fred

Fratton Fred New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    At the Bar
    another video of the highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syurgraIu5o

Pedro had a seizure and spent the night in hospital. Ben Thatcher is apparantly a scum fan, so that is motive enough for me. The Man City fans are pretty apauled by his tackle, although he has never been the most popular player at Eastlands.

7. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Man City fans didn't like Thatcher anyway so when he did something as disgraceful as that of last night then it no wonder that we hate him and that he has no support. Never mind a suspension, he needs to be banned for life

8. Dead Penguin

Dead Penguin New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    UK
    The elbow on Mendes looks like something the police should have a look at, it went well beyond what can be expected in a football match. The police spent a lot of time investigating the handbags between Dyer and Bowyer last year but this is clearly a far more serious incident.

9. Dannyd

Dannyd Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Sydney
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Agrred dead penguin. What an utterly abhorrent act. There was absolutely no intention whatsoever to go for the ball- it looks like a totally pre-meditated assault. Which is beyond the scope of the laws of the game and well into the proper law.

Looking at his career history, started his career with 90 appearances for Millwall and then 86 for Wimbledon .... ;)

He gets up and walks off, while Mendes has a ********ing seizure pitchside. I'm sure he didn't know how severe the consequence of his actions was but there is little denying, in my view, that the attack was both malicious and pre-meditated.

Rio Ferdinand got banned for 9 months for missing a drugs test. If I had it my way, this joker would have his professional status removed and not be allowed to return to the game. Since I can't see such a thing happening unfortunately, I would at least hope to see him banned for the rest of the season. If a missed drugs test cops 9 months, attempted murder should get at least that!

You ********ing wanker Thatcher- Man city won't miss you you gimp.

10. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    You know the more you watch this thing, the worse it gets. Thatcher never even glanced down toward the ball as he was running at Mendes, he was clearly gunning for him, intending to do some damage. This is probably the worst thing I have ever seen in a soccer match. I read on a few other sites that Thatcher has actually been reported to the Manchester police by a few City fans, which means they have to investigate it as a criminal act. This was way outside the context of a soccer match if you ask me. This game can be rough at times, but even in a rugby or NFL match this would have been out of line.

11. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget rugby or the NFL...he would have been suspended from the NHL after that. You can drop gloves and punch another guy's teeth out, but you at least have to have the decency to let your intentions be known. What he did was simply cowardice.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    chav thug deserves a hefty fine

see him push glen johnson afterwards too like he was all hyped up by his ludicrous challenge

what a scummy piece of shit

13. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to think it wasn't an elbow, but rather a punch. It seems to me like by the time his elbow gets to Mendes' face, Mendes' head has already recoiled.
    Twatcher needs to be banned. Period.

14. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    I hope Thatcher gets a long long ban for what he did last night - just what he deserves and nothing less. Rumours are that Pearce is getting sick of him and will opt to let him leave on a free.

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He is a coward. Those intentions are no condoned. If you want to scrap, you let yourself be known. Thats how MEN do it.

16. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
    During the preseason tour, Ben Thatcher elbowed a Shanghai Shenhua and casued the player to have a collapsed lung.
    He never even apologized for that elbow.
    This time he'd better get suspended for the remaining of the season. Enough is enough.
    I can compare this one to the Todd Bertuzzi incident in NHL.

17. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

i always had a soft spot for Pompey, and being a United fan, i hate citeh with all my guts, but what that scum Thatcher did is just ridiculous. while poor Mendes ends up with a seizure and has to stay in a hospital overnight, all Thatcher gets is a yellowcard. i think its about time the FA permanently ban Thatcher from playing ever again.

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How about this. Let Pedro's goonies from Portugal into England and let Thatcher know what its really like to be hard body.

19. andybart

andybart New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    canada.
    I did not see the incident till last night and there is not a shadow of a doubt his sole intention is to hurt pedro.
    At least face him like a man and not a cheap shot from behind...coward.

20. andybart

andybart New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    canada.
    The FA have banned him for 8 games and fined him 6 weeks wages and he has a 15 game ban suspended for two years......not the biggest of punishments but at least it shows he was guilty and should now be put behind everyone and get on with it.