Texian Army Tailgates 2008

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by newtex, Mar 14, 2008.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Texian Army pre-game tailgates for weekend games.

WHAT: It's a gathering for the Texian Army and anyone else who wants to join us before home games. Before weekend games we have "All You Can Eat And Drink" (until the food and drink runs out). We typically have burgers, hot dogs, and either sausage or chicken along with chips, cookies, water, soda, and beer.

WHERE: Southwest of Robertson Stadium. We're in a grassy, shaded area near the parking lot off of Scott.

HOW MUCH: $5 for TA members / $7 for non-members.

WHEN: People start getting together about three hours before home games. Food is available as soon after that as we can get the grills going and meat cooked. The tailgate will end approximately 1 hour before the game so we can clean up and everyone can get into the stadium.

SPONSOR: The Mezzanine Lounge sponsors the TA tailgate. Your paid admission gets you benefits at the Lounge after games.

Mid-week games are much more casual and will generally be BYOB without food provided. No cost, of course.

March/April Schedule

Wednesday, March 19 - Municipal (CCC) - game time 7:30 pm
    No official tailgate. BYOB and sharing is encouraged.

Sunday, April 6 - FCD (MLS home opener) - game time 2:00 pm, tailgate will start at 11 am. This game's beer is being provided by St. Arnold's. Yeah, beer! Yeah, St. Arnold's!

Texian Army members are encouraged to see the Tailgate Volunteer thread on the TA message board. Be the first to volunteer!

2. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    see my post in the TA board....

3. OrangeTica

OrangeTica Member

Nov 30, 2007
    213/214 beeches
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Re: 3/19: CCC Pregame Thread - CSD Municipal @ Dynamo

awww shucks... no more beer for me this season... tryin to loose weight! lol,

btw, senor cool, i disagree with your philosophy about "you're a weirdo if you dont drink, something's seriously wrong with you" --its a funny statement though

lol :D

can't we just have water and broccoli sticks, or delicious fresh fruit at the tailgates?? i can bring the fruit!!:)

4. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Who said beer doesn't help you lose weight?? If you drink enough beer it will make you puke last year's tostadas........I know.

Anyways, lets wear our Orange with pride fellas !!

5. drew622

drew622 Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Go Low-Carb baby.....all meat & cheese you want, plus Bacardi & Diet Coke.

Worked for me! :)

6. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

he's right, you know - look at those frickin' weirdos [names omitted for security reasons]...

7. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Like you really need to lose weight? You look fine the way you are.

If you want to have Water, Broccoli, Fruit or (edited for leaving well enough alone) you can. Can't see to many objections from the peanut gallery. :p

Alas, 18 Minutes before I do the "Great Escape". See you all there.

8. Voice of Thunder

Voice of Thunder New Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can someone help a Minnesota migrant. I've got my tickets for tonight but when and where should I go to tailgate? Is the Texian Army tailgate easy to spot?

Cheers.

9. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

How rude Miss Mod. they guy is asking an honest question.I would expect you more than anyone of us to act like the Statue of Liberty to a fellow immigrant.:rolleyes:

Hey Mr. Minnesota Thunder, we will hangout on the southwest corner of the Stadium starting at five-ish. it will be BYOB night though, so bring some beer from up north to share......yes?? :p
    Now, you can bring your bbq pit if you plan on cooking the family some hot dogs and stuff but the SG's will not offer an official Tailgate.

p.s.

Oh my gosh !!!
    I feel dizzy now !!!

10. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, my response was to all of you talking about food and beer. Not to the guy asking for directions to the tailgate area.

11. OrangeTica

OrangeTica Member

Nov 30, 2007
    213/214 beeches
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    i will definitely make it to more tailgates w/ you guys this season. i was never at any tailgates last season! agh --but oh well -- the future tailgates will be even more fun

oh and i thought of a great idea, instead of me bringin chips and hot dogs, i will bring delicious WATERMELON! shoot watermelon in the summer will be THE BEST! & i can make frozen fruit cups w/ like berries and stuff & donate fresh cold lemonade instead of beer and cokes... cool !!:)

12. Super Dynamo

Super Dynamo New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Houston

OrangeTica if you really want to lose weight I suggest you speak with the man with the Plan! Cougarclaws! His weight lost method is so accurate...his ring sets loosely around his finger. :eek: Jared who...?

13. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Watermelon (soaked) with vodka...you're the coolest tica I know.

14. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No joke, I thought that looks like Chris but maybe not?? :confused:

15. OrangeTica

OrangeTica Member

Nov 30, 2007
    213/214 beeches
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

you know he told me he was just drinkin so much at the games, and that he just stopped drinkin beer for a couple of months and WHAM! hello slim cougarclaws! so he still doesnt drink, he inspires LOL

sure we can throw in some vodka around my birthday time in august :D

but watermelon is a GREAT idea :rolleyes:

16. LordGhoti

LordGhoti New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Houston
    Just an informal BYOB&F event for the Deportivo Saprissa game on April 2nd, right?

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Yes, all midweek games are BYOB with no cooking.

18. Mezzanine

Mezzanine New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Houston
    We've got a couple of new items that we can add to this year's tailgate menu.

I found a great summer fruit medley (melons and such) that is pre-made. No prep- no hassle? Perfect.

I also got a new food rep who told me that Sysco actually *does* have chicken drumsticks from Tyson.. so we will be adding those.

He's also trying to talk me into a "four bean salad", what do y'all think? It's got wax beans, green beans, garbanzo, and kidney. I'm not sold.

Texas caviar, which is a black-eyed pea salad, is also a possibility.

I was thinking potato salad but want to stay away from anything with mayo & eggs. They have a "baked potato salad", could be interesting.

Then there is an italian pasta salad we could get. It has a bunch of veggies in it. We've got that at the Mezz right now, if anyone wants to sample it, just let me know.

We could get a different side salad each week and then see what we like the best.

So. For meat we've got- burgers, sausages, hot dogs, & chicken drumsticks.

Maybe cookies for the snacks- do y'all like those Grandma's cookies?

Chips- we could get the variety pack that has corn chips for Frito pies..

What do y'all think? Give me some food feedback!

19. Mezzanine

Mezzanine New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Houston
    Non-food related-

Tommy & I (or someone representing the Mezz) are going to be at the Texian Army tailgates this year with a table set up.

Along with providing food and drinks this year for the tailgates, we're going to be doing two things for all paid tailgate attendees:

One: giving away a post-game party free drink card, good for that night only at the mezz. When you go to the mezz for the post-game party, you'll turn your card in to the door guy who will give you your drink ticket. One per person only.

Two: we're going to be signing up for a season ticket giveaway. You can enter once per tailgate. At the end of the season, during the Texian Army end of the season Appreciation dinner, we'll be drawing a name for a pair of season tickets in section 213 for the 2009-2010 season.

I printed up flyers yesterday with information on them and a map to The Mezzanine Lounge, so we will have those available at the tailgates also.

20. OrangeTica

OrangeTica Member

Nov 30, 2007
    213/214 beeches
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

WOW thats awesome!! thanks Tonya!!!!!!!:)

21. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW! :cool:

BYOF! I'm down with that! :D

22. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fruit and other salads sound fantastic! Adding the chicken is another great idea and cookies too. Wow!! :D

23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    &
    no.

as someone who actively participates in the cooking and clean-up that's a big no on anything past burgers and hot dogs. this is a tailgate not Luby's. you fkrs are lucky you get bread with your hot dogs.

only peeps who cook and clean have a say in this.........

24. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Rey, perhaps you married folks could bring " the wives" to serve up the veggies and fruit cups ??? ;)
    Wonder what the chances are of that happening?? :rolleyes:

Personally, I wouldn't mind a little salad and fruit instead of the heartburn
    from the greasy meats being served. But then, most tailgates, I don't get much opportunity to eat. Way too busy.

25. OrangeTica

OrangeTica Member

Nov 30, 2007
    213/214 beeches
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

THANK GOD for someone to want healthy food! woohoo! AND I WILL BE BRINGING YUMMY WATERMELON to a couple tailgates:)