Terrorists welcome to the Us! The softist nation on the planet...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by bostonsoccermdl, Nov 10, 2003.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
  2. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    If that's how your system set up to work, so be it.

You can't convict people based on emotion, can you?

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

9-11 is already a distant memory, I'm afraid.

4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  5. TBobka

TBobka New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Nunya Bidniz
    Re: Re: Terrorists welcome to the Us! The softist nation on the planet...

What are you a terrorist or something?

6. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    What are you a Freeper or something?

7. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: Terrorists welcome to the Us! The softist nation on the planet...

I am upset that they are using the benefits of our court system (the country they are hellbent on destroying) and that some US citizens will actually attempt to come to their aid "for some higher purpose."

8. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    We have the benefits in our court system because it's a better system than the alternative. Sorry, boston, but suggestions like this are what helped make "the terrorists have already won" a cliche.

9. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, when American soldiers are captured by foreign forces during an armed conflict, they are prisoners of war. But when foreign solders are captured by American forces during an armed conflict, they are enemy combatants, or possibly even just plain terrorists.

Everyone needs to keep up with the latest nomenclature in order to understand why we're all so angry about this.

10. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Re: Re: Terrorists welcome to the Us! The softist nation on the planet...

Of course they're using our court system- we're the ones prosecuting them. Did you want them to use New Zealand's court system?

11. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ted Olsen chimes in with his usual erudite prose...
    Ah, yes, we shouldn't follow Geneva because they are unprincipled and savage. What, do they not know how to properly use the soup spoon in the Gitmo mess hall?

12. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Terrorists welcome to the Us! The softist nation on the planet...

I'd rather use a kangaroo court system...hehehe

13. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago

Ashcroft could have done it right from the start. Lord knows there were plenty of pundits telling Ashcroft to simply follow the law. He had every chance not to blow it. If the terrorists walk, it is 100% Ashcroft's fault.

And that "higher purpose" is why our country has endured for 225 years.

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

that's a bit like saying that rapists shouldn't be allowed to be tried in court, because people who commit rape don't deserve rights. A nice line in emotive reasoning, which swiftly sidesteps the purpose of a trial in the first place - to determine a defendent's guilt (or not). Perhaps you think that the fact that they are in the camp is proof enough that they are terrorists.

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Maybe he has a little reason to be PISSED OFF!

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and personal vengeance has always been the cornerstone of our justice system. :rolleyes:

17. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    If he can't handle it, he can quit his job and go home and be pissed off.
    What's John Ashcroft's excuse for trying to dump the Constitution down the toilet? Did Al-Quada run over his puppy?

18. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    And what do you expect his replacement to do? Is this really about Ashcroft the person, or is the next person that steps up automatically going to be liberal enemy #1?

Believe me, I am open to alternatives to ideas that Ashcorft has put forth. Give me some, please, in all seriousness.

Every time I ask for alternatives, no one has come up with any. If "do nothing, leave everything as is" is an alterantive, lets hear it. At least you have spoken up and said something, rather than those who want the best of both worlds without sacrificing anything at all.

19. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For that very reason he should either recuse himself from this case, or resign. We do not want victims' families making public policy decisions.

20. Nogra Rover

Nogra Rover New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Bethesda, MD
    That this is even before the Supreme Court shows what a mess we have made.

Bush made the schoolboy remark that we were attacked by those who "hate our freedoms." But his domestic strategy is to repress our freedoms.

Each of the guys in Cuba may be a terrorist guilty of a federal or international crime (i doubt it, though. Many were just impressionable and bought the horrific Taliban or al Queda line). What are you guys scared of? Justice?

21. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, now I can't bring my Swiss Army key chain on an airplane.

22. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.

So am I right in saying you're upset that these people are asking for their cases to be heard in a civilian court, that would hear evidence for and against detention/inprisonment with lawyers representing the defendant ?. How about this for a revolutionary idea, we try to establish whether or not the people are/were working for Al-Queda and the Taliban, then inprison them if found guilty.

Sure, we need to get tough on terrorism, but to just dump people in a prison camp with no legal represetation, contact with their families etc. is hardly going to be great PR in the battle for 'hearts and minds'. This continued suspension of rights would only compound the problems of Muslim perceptions of the USA and the West. And the prisoners would achieve an iconic status amongst such people.

23. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Terrorists welcome to the Us! The softist nation on the planet...

Yes, tribunals work fine for me..

These are people that have caught red handed fighting along the Taliban, weapons in hand.

ahh yes, once again its our fault.. We should be the ones so quick to worry about about these "perceptions."

24. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Terrorists welcome to the Us! The softist nation on the planet...

Hmmm - wonderful assumption, considering that the general population has no idea of who they are, where they were caught, what they were charged with, etc. We only have the word of the CIA, Rummy, Cheney, Ashcroft and Bush.

Trying to choose which one of those is worthy of our trust is like trying to pick which fascist dictator to invite to your bachelor party.

25. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Terrorists welcome to the Us! The softist nation on the planet...

Well, Hitler was a teetotal vegetarian, so he'd hardly get into the spirit of the occaision. I'd pick the gurning dwarf Mussolini.