Terps vs. Georgetown

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by lastword, Oct 8, 2003.

1. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    The number 2 Terps beat lowly Georgetown 3-2 tonite at home where they play most of their games this year. Does Terp Fan have a report?

2. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    We looked like crap tonight. Got the win, but most of the team didn't seem to have "it" today. Sumed got 2 goals on almost identical plays. Both were crosses from Kenney Bertz that Sumed nodded home from about 10 yards or so. Curtin scored for Georgetown on a penalty when Palmer pulled him down after passing the ball directly to a Georgetown attacker. Didn't catch the name of the Hoyas other goal scorer, but he scored after Palmer saved a shot from around 14 yards. Shot rebounded, and there were three G'town players there to finish it. Scott Buete got the winner for Maryland in the 84th on a low driven ball from the top of the box.

Not a pretty game to watch by any means. Hopefully the Terps can get it together for the TV game this weekend against UConn. If its possible, I thought Sumed played poorly despite his 2 goals and assist.

lastword, we played Georgetown in DC last year. Are we supposed to play them away every year in your mind?

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Do games between two teams inside the Beltway even count as home-and-away?

I saw in the box score that Abe Thompson came off the bench. What's up with that?

BTW, Curtin is a very good player. Not as big or as good in the air as his brother but better on the ball and a better overall player.

He'll play in MLS.

How did Bobby Convey's little brother look?

4. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    another win

The game was totally dominated by UMD for the first 25 minutes until GK Palmer passed the ball directly to GT and then took the player down for the PK. That really gave GT life and it was a different game. The second GT goal again was a failure by Palmer to collect a moon ball corner kick and after several bounces it found it's way into the net. Georgetown was the worst team we have played to date and this would have been a 5-0 type game with a little better work in the cage. That said, a win is a win and in a 25 game season there are bound to be a couple of these performaces.

Curtin took the free kicks and organized the defense for GT but really didn't standout. He's just a solid player doing his job which is probably what a good defender should be doing.

Convey's little brother is 6' 2" and 180, he plays on the right side in the back and is pretty competent but not outstanding in any way.

Abe Thompson didn't start because he is slightly injured and I'm not certain what it is. Nino Marcantonio took his place and gave the team a good spark to start the game.

Hopefully UMD can regain some consistency starting this Sunday against Uconn.

5. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    True, its only home and away in the most technical sense, I was just pointing out to lastword why the game was at Ludwig.

Thompson was reported to be slightly banged up and to play limited minutes. Guess Sasho wanted to try to save him. Didn't play too much in the first half, but as soon as Georgetown tied it up he came right back in. Jason Garey also didn't play at all due to injury.

Curtin did look good back there. Very composed and appeared to have much more skill on the ball than Jim. Probably Georgetown's best player on the field last night.

Tim Convey looked pretty good for the most part as well. Played left back, at least in the second half, and showed pretty well for himself most of the time, I thought. Picked up a yellow for a sliding tackle from behind in the first half. I was surprised how much he looked like his brother. Same exact facial structure, just half a foot taller. Also, Tim's right footed, but like his brother can send in some nasty crosses when given time.

6. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Goodson

One other thing, UMD will play Sunday without CB Clarence Goodson who must sit out due yellow card accumulation points. This has been a pretty tough week for the Terps, I'm about ready for some good news now and maybe we'll get it Sunday with a strong performace.

7. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Forgot about that one. Did you catch what exactly he got carded for? We couldn't figure it out where I was in the stands.

8. Mike Fekula

Mike Fekula Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Re: another win

I am not convinced of that. Georgetown may not be UCLA or even NC State, but they have some good players and played their butts off. I give them more credit than you do. Keith Tabatznik always does a good job of having his guys ready and Maryland is probably the biggest game on their non-conference schedule, maybe their entire schedule.

Furthermore, let us not forget the fact that Georgetown is an underfunded program that has never had more than a couple of scholarships to give and Keith Tabatznik then has to get these guys through the Georgetown admissions office; the school's academic standards are similar to the Ivy League. He also has to find guys whose families can pay and if you think Maryland is getting expensive, try Georgetown.

I've been saying this for years: Keith Tabatznik gets more from less than any other coach I can think of. To find another story similar to that, I have to go back to '98 when Bobby Clark was coaching Stanford and makes it to the national title game against Indiana with a team that had only five 'ships to give, according to the Stanford student media that was sitting next to me at the Final Four in Richmond. I don't have to tell you who Stanford beat to get to the Final Four. Some guy named Twellman was playing on that other team.

9. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: Re: another win

I didn't say they weren't well coached, I said we were dominating the game and would have won by a large margin without a couple of keeper errors that gave them hope. I also didn't say they were a bad team, they were simply the weakest we have faced this season so far.

10. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Goodson's card

Yes, the GT GK had the ball and was punting it away quickly as Goodson retreated up field after a set piece. The ball was kicked into Goodson with his back to the play and the ref obviously thought Clarence was obstructing the kick. The ref was in error and the linesmen were of no help as usual. This official is not one of the better ones at this level but that's soccer.

11. jmsdoc

jmsdoc Member

Jun 25, 2000
    The Valley
    Folks, since our mods. are not to be found, this thread needs, yeh, begs for an (R). Let's try and keep it togther guys!

John