Telecom Immunity Part Deux

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Jan 26, 2008.

1. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/12/AR2007101202485.html?hpid=topnews

The government approached Qwest six months BEFORE Sept. 11, 2001 about participating in a NSA "warrantless surveillance program". Qwest didn't because they thought it was illegal.

The point is that telecom immunity passes then we won't have legal recourse to find out the extent to which the government and telecom companies broke the law. We'll never know when it started, before or after 9/11. We'll never know who in the government decided to illegally circumvent the courts. And why? They could have tried and change the laws through Congress, especially after 9/11. Which companies broke the law and to what extent? What private information did the government illegally acquire? Will they be able to keep it and use it against people in the future? How did the companies that broke the law profit from it? How were the companies that followed the law financially punished?

You have to wonder how far into the government this might go? They aren't just saving the telecoms from lawsuits, they are potentially saving themselves. It reeks of corruption.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    While I understand the sentiment, this is why I wrote about the mythology of 'wiretapping'

Large scale data trawling was already occurring and this was almost certainly including US based comms since way before 911.

The issue with going to Court for a warrant is that the approach is from a bygone era, when you suspect a guy so you want to tap a phone.

With this - often "the guy" is unknown - instead you are trawling EVERYONE. No way is a Court giving permission for that!

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Isn't there a difference in black ops and things we (wink-wink) let the NSA & CIA do (like using England as a data gathering place, Eastern European torture prisons) and an Administration basically ordering private companies to "lend us their ears"? Now if I was a member of a rogue administration, I might want to listen in on the dealings of a certain opposition party to gain whatever advantage I might find useful. All under the pretense of "protectin' 'Mericans" of course

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think a corporation can go to jail, so how could Bush pardon them? Wouldn't these be civil suits? I don't think the president has any authority over that.

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Some ppl. think that Bushco may have spied on the GITMO defendants' lawyers. Might explain why they were eager to avoid the FISA judges. Sh!t like that is par for the course in the anti-law/lawyers Bushland, but no judge would let that fly.

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conyers to Bush: I’m Staying Here To Work On FISA

And what Conyers mentions in the video is really something:

Cutting off access to the FBI for not paying the bills on time....HOw "patriotic" can these companies get? Why should these companies ought to get immunity is beyond me....

7. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all Telecoms participated. Qwest for example took the position that the activity was illegal. Those that participated received payment (and probably favorable treatment) from the government. They received a market bump for illegal activity, but now W does not want the market to punish them for their actions, they should be retro-actively immune, largely because he was involved.
    The whole notion is ridiculous.

8. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hfundbskurbs.

See, I can do it too.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    USSC denied ACLU's lawsuit. Only way now to see what went on is to allow laswuits by individuals against the telecoms.

12. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And here why we need these protections:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080223/ap_on_hi_te/snooping_workers

Dozens of federal agencies, state agencies, and private companies with hundreds upon hundreds of cases of snooping. When information like this is collected, we simply can not trust that the holders will treat it correctly - there has to be as much checking and systematic protections as possible.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    And the fear-mongering continues. Sean Conway, chief of staff for CO Repub. Wayne Allard:

"And the House has just simply said, we're not going to accept this, because we want to have, you know, terrorists be able to sue phone companies if they're listening to our conversations. It's insane."

Terra'rists suing telecoms? Interesting lie. Haven't heard that one yet.

Conway also said this:

"I don't know about you, but if I'm a Democrat out there, you'd best, better hope that something does not happen in this country while this bill lapses."

Riiiiight. The bill Bush vowed to veto b/c it didn't protect the telecoms so now we can't "protect 'Mericans."

14. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tore up that libertarian card did ya?

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shit, here we go....

17. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. I think the government did a despicable thing and holding an industry responsible for the state's overreach is the ultimate kick in the teeth.

It's time to move on but while we do we have to make sure that the state never can overreach like that again.

18. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tore up your 'I'm a logical thinker' card did ya?

19. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it perfectly logical. Businesses were held hostage by the state and individuals may have lost privacy. Both of their rights were violated and the culprit is the federal government.

But we aren't going to agree so let's end this here unless you are into me pontificating for the next 10 pages. Your choice.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So lets go ahead and make sure that now that they know their actions were legally questionable that we give them a 'Land on Go, Collect $200' card? The ****ing bill gives them immunity for not just their past actions, but their future actions. By accepting the proposed immunity you are saying one of two things, (1) I don't believe in liberty and/or (2) I don't understand what the bill grants.
    We're on a discussion board. I'm here knowing full well that people will pontificate. Frankly, I'd like to read your justification.

21. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The immunity for the telcos is window dressing. The desired effect for Bush is that it would prevent the telcos from testifying in open court about how the DOJ, under the direction of the WH, got the telcos to play along in the first place. That's why Bush has pushed so hard on this - do you really think he gives a rat's ass otherwise?

22. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what the bill grants and I believe in liberty. I believe in the liberty for companies to not be on the hook when the government forces companies to do objectionable things. The telecoms are victims as well.

As for the individual having their rights violated, it's a wash. I don't think that information collected can legally be used against an individual. But correct me if I'm wrong.

It hasn't changed. Hence Claymore's reaction.

23. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? The entire point of the surveillance is supposedly to track down individuals and terrorist cells.