Tegan & Sara

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Footix, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I listened to their "If It Was You" disc a few times this weekend. I had heard them compared to Ani DeFranco a few times, and that made me just push the disc aside for a few weeks, but their cute Canadian mugs on the cover called to me Friday night and I put it on.

The Ani comparisons might be legit on a song or two, but the rest of the album is all over the place, in a good way. A couple tunes are Pretenders-like, and one in particular that I really like, "Don't Confess", sounds like a really good Travis tune (with a girl singer, of course).

I've never heard their first album...anybody here heard either?

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I bought their first album last summer after seeing them on Letterman. Probably the only big promotion they got for it. But I like it alot.

The DiFranco comparisons can be made on it also.

3. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    They are playing out with Ryan Adams now. I'm surprised none of you hipsters have an opinion one way or another on these ladies...

4. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    I've heard one song off the new record (I Hear Noises) on the radio here and it didn't remind me of Ani DeFranco at all - sounded quite a bit more happy and poppy. I kind of dig the song, but probably not enough to buy the album.

5. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    If anyone likes them and is interested, Tegan & Sara are about to be on the local (University of Minnesota) college radio station live. They're playing in town tonight with Ryan Adams.

You can listen on the web via www.radiok.org - it's also the station's pledge drive week, so be prepared for some extra chatting and imploring people to call in.

6. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Thanks for the link.

I called up, and the girls gave me a shoutout on the air! They are too cute.

7. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    What did they say? I was only half listening. Although I did really like their story about their grandfather saying they were good, but no Willie Nelson.

8. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    On air, not much more than the Willie Nelson story and anecdotes about being the opener for Adams and how they are received a bit more timidly than the headliner.

On the phone they were absolutely chatty, and thrilled to hear you posted a link to their radio appearance.